Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2010, 12:08 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
the great thing about e-bay is that you can set your maximum price, and forget about it,

the bad thing is that there are people out there who are willing to pay much much more than most reasonable people, and also owners who have a ficticious account that force the price up, or buy it back and then cancel the sale afterwards if they don't get the price they want.

I have seen too many items that I am watching come back on from the same seller, to believe differently,

If there is one lack in e-bay it is the policing of disreputable sellers

08-13-2010, 12:17 PM   #32
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
Ugh! Congratz to whoever snaked that FA 35mm F/2 in like new condition for $280BIN I was the first to see it (1 AM) and was just getting it set up to buy it when the 5th viewer bought it right from under me :ugh:

Than the whole fiasco with the K 200mm F/2.5, where it was ending while I was driving. I attempted to win it on a cell phone which took 2+min. to load the bid page... except for when I was finally ready to attempt to "snipe" meaning there was 2 min. for people to incrementally attempt to beat my bid

And the list goes on and on

Am I the only one with these "ebay woes"?
Nope.. Been there in both cases. I quickly learned two things. Sign in before browsing. Saves the hassle and rush of doing so when you want to place a bid. If there is something I Really want, I'll use an online sniper service to place my less than 3 second bid (and still get out-sniped). The last item I lost by not doing one of those two things was the $25 BIN Pentax F 1.7x AF adapter. Even then, they were $200 and up.

08-13-2010, 12:21 PM   #33
Inactive Account

The problem was, it was all in a matter of *seconds*. I saw it, refreshed the page to see if it was already taken, noticed I was the only one who has even seen it, and clicked buy. Before i could confirm it was gone.
Then it was probably already gone when you first saw it. The bid transaction just hadn't completed yet (may have been an immediate payment BIN where the bidder has to complete payment before he's actually won the item).

08-13-2010, 12:34 PM   #34
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
Then it was probably already gone when you first saw it. The bid transaction just hadn't completed yet (may have been an immediate payment BIN where the bidder has to complete payment before he's actually won the item).

My internet is not the fastest so it took a couple seconds longer than normal to load. Like I said though, I was the first to view the item according to ebay.

08-13-2010, 01:14 PM   #35
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I had a fun time selling my old laptop- 5 times was it won by a scammer or penniless idiot. After almost 3 months of being listed, it finally sold last week!
08-13-2010, 03:09 PM   #36
Site Supporter

Ok yeatzee I take it back. That IS bad luck. Better to have never seen it, right? :-)

I bought a ZX-10 because the blurry camera-phone picture showed a lens that could only be a 43mm limited. My winning bid - $40. Of course it got "lost in the mail" with a wide variety of unlikely stories coming before I got my money back. Seller is now delisted. But every time I check the mail, I have a sliver of hope that it is here. (Cue Nelson: "Ha ha!")
08-13-2010, 03:17 PM   #37
Inactive Account

My internet is not the fastest so it took a couple seconds longer than normal to load. Like I said though, I was the first to view the item according to ebay.
...and by the time you pushed Refresh, the lens sale was already in process. Can't tell you how many OMG bargains I've seen in the top 5 postings only to see "bidding has ended" when I click the link. Use to be really terrible when I was on dialup but I never considered it 'bad luck' to miss one or lose it to a higher bidder. Just that someone else wanted it more than I did. In fact, sometimes if it's still there, I have to ask WHY, and investigate before making the decision to buy. My $100 K135 f2.5 was one of those and I consider it good luck that I got that lens for that price. I have another one that I paid $65 for (but it had to be cleaned).

08-13-2010, 10:53 PM   #38

Try Nikon.

When you think shopping for Pentax on Ebay is bad .... try shopping for Nikon ... a good BIN price wouldn't last >10 mins. Tough crowd.

08-14-2010, 12:15 AM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I've seen some auction sites where bidding is automatically extended for "x" minutes from the last bid to cut down on the sniping. I'm not sure if that solves the problem entirely, either.
Ebay is an ugly thing, we have the 2 minute thing here and it is much fairer .
Pete
08-14-2010, 12:43 AM   #40
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
Ebay is an ugly thing, we have the 2 minute thing here and it is much fairer .
Pete
Somehow I fail to understand this specific concept of 'fair' when it comes to auctions. You get your bid in on time, if it's enough you win. Otherwise, you move on to the next one. I see more and more people over the last 12 years or so whine about being outbid in the last seconds and that it is 'unfair' because they should be given more time to outbid the snipers. Sorry but, bull.

08-14-2010, 02:18 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Somehow I fail to understand this specific concept of 'fair' when it comes to auctions. You get your bid in on time, if it's enough you win. Otherwise, you move on to the next one. I see more and more people over the last 12 years or so whine about being outbid in the last seconds and that it is 'unfair' because they should be given more time to outbid the snipers. Sorry but, bull.

never use a program to do a man's bidding.
08-14-2010, 02:47 AM   #42
Pentaxian

people can use programs to bid in the last seconds... how is that fair ?
08-14-2010, 03:05 AM   #43
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
people can use programs to bid in the last seconds... how is that fair ?
ANYONE, including You, can use them. How is it Unfair?

08-14-2010, 09:27 AM   #44
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
What I hate is when I mark an item to follow and then I forget about it. And sellers that don't know how to properly check condition. It's a good idea to test the seller by sending some inquiry earlier and get an opinion about them based on their response. If they don't respond at all, good riddance. Jerk responses, so long to them too. Decent answers give a higher probability that you're dealing with a decent person. Then, it's like de Niro's character said in Ronin: "whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt"
08-14-2010, 12:42 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
What I hate is when I mark an item to follow and then I forget about it. And sellers that don't know how to properly check condition. It's a good idea to test the seller by sending some inquiry earlier and get an opinion about them based on their response. If they don't respond at all, good riddance. Jerk responses, so long to them too. Decent answers give a higher probability that you're dealing with a decent person. Then, it's like de Niro's character said in Ronin: "whenever there is any doubt, there is no doubt"
I always answer questions when I am selling, as long as they are appropriate - Jerk questions get jerk answers too! As someone who does sell I can't believe the audacity of some people - no specific examples, but ridiculous questions are received on more than the occasional basis. I tend to watch some things I am interested in, or a lens I might be selling shortly to gauge value (since I prefer to sell buy-it-now at reasonable prices).

If I really, truly want to bid on something I use Gixen. It takes all of 5 minutes to go to their site, add the auction and your ebay user id, then you don't need to worry about it - it is all online as well, no programs, no login even.

I can understand the extended bidding rules on smaller sites where sniping tools don't exist, but on ebay there is no excuse, and 99% of the time you can expect a last second bid from someone.