Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2010, 01:20 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am so unlucky with ebay!

Ugh! Congratz to whoever snaked that FA 35mm F/2 in like new condition for $280BIN I was the first to see it (1 AM) and was just getting it set up to buy it when the 5th viewer bought it right from under me :ugh:

Than the whole fiasco with the K 200mm F/2.5, where it was ending while I was driving. I attempted to win it on a cell phone which took 2+min. to load the bid page... except for when I was finally ready to attempt to "snipe" meaning there was 2 min. for people to incrementally attempt to beat my bid

And the list goes on and on

Am I the only one with these "ebay woes"?

08-13-2010, 01:42 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
Ugh! Congratz to whoever snaked that FA 35mm F/2 in like new condition for $280BIN I was the first to see it (1 AM) and was just getting it set up to buy it when the 5th viewer bought it right from under me :ugh:

Than the whole fiasco with the K 200mm F/2.5, where it was ending while I was driving. I attempted to win it on a cell phone which took 2+min. to load the bid page... except for when I was finally ready to attempt to "snipe" meaning there was 2 min. for people to incrementally attempt to beat my bid

It happened to me before but the luck seems to be with me these past few days. No, it wasn't me who bought the FA35. Just keep trying and I'm sure the tide will turn side.
08-13-2010, 01:45 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Shit man, bidding wars are only the tip of the iceberg. Consider those who have won items & desposited the money only to have the user disappear off the ebay universe.

We have billboards in OZ warning drivers texting. I could imagine drivers bidding are even worse.. steer clear!

Last edited by fractal; 08-13-2010 at 02:16 AM.
08-13-2010, 01:57 AM   #4
Veteran Member

To avoid this kind of shity situations I just bid my max for that object and let the automatic bidding do it's job. In that way, even if the bid finishes when I cannot intervene, at least I know that the winner bid over than I was ready to go.

08-13-2010, 02:03 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kytra Quote
To avoid this kind of shity situations I just bid my max for that object and let the automatic bidding do it's job. In that way, even if the bid finishes when I cannot intervene, at least I know that the winner bid over than I was ready to go.
Well the plan was to try and get it at a decent price. If i would have bid with seconds left, the guy I outbid wouldn't have had time to incremently beat me. Normally I do exactly what you said, but for an item like the K200mm F/2.5 that was out of the question.
08-13-2010, 02:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
It happened to me before but the luck seems to be with me these past few days. No, it wasn't me who bought the FA35. Just keep trying and I'm sure the tide will turn side.
I hope so... im pretty dang pissed right now

QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote
Shit man, bidding wars are only the tip of the iceberg. Consider those who have won items & desposited the money only to have the user disappear off the ebay universe.

We have billboards in OZ warning drivers texting. I could image drivers bidding are even worse.. steer clear!

I can't even imagine

I pulled over
08-13-2010, 02:05 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I am so unlucky with ebay!
You can't be that unlucky, I seem to remember you getting a K 50 f1.2 for cheap!

08-13-2010, 02:10 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
You can't be that unlucky, I seem to remember you getting a K 50 f1.2 for cheap!
Yes, that was awesome... thanks for reminding me.

It still sucks though. That was the one little candle light in the black whole that is my experiences with ebay bids
08-13-2010, 02:20 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I missed on an F50/1.7, only to get an FA50/1.7 a few days later. love is sweeter, the second time around.
08-13-2010, 03:45 AM   #10
Veteran Member

oh, north americans just shut up - I have seen countlessly well priced items that shipped exclusively CONUS leaving me, as an european, just windowshopping. All my glass from e-bay costed me more than the pentaxforums price, so I do not buy anymore there.
08-13-2010, 04:01 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I missed out on a bid for a Voigtlander 125mm f/2.5 APO SLII lens in Nikon mount a while back..I wished I could open a can of instant karma on that jerk. That lens would have been too much fun on my D3S - but at least I got a Noct nikkor 58mm f/1.2 in mint condition sans lens hood though...though the price for that lens went stratospheric as they usually do, less than 8,000 of the AI-S version exist. I find you get less jerks bidding against you when there is serious money on the line.

Last edited by Digitalis; 08-13-2010 at 04:13 AM.
08-13-2010, 04:15 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
I missed out on a bid for a Voigtlander 125mm f/2.5 APO SLII lens in Nikon mount a while back..I wished I could open a can of instant karma on that jerk. That lens would have been too much fun on my D3S - but at least I got a Noct nikkor 58mm f/1.2 in mint condition sans lens hood though...though the price for that lens went stratospheric as they usually do, less than 8,000 of the AI-S version exist. I find you get less jerks bidding against you when there is serious money on the line.
Lol, you as a Leica M9 owner should not be allowed to post on topics linked with any kind of financial transactions :-p
08-13-2010, 04:33 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
Yes, that was awesome... thanks for reminding me.

It still sucks though. That was the one little candle light in the black whole that is my experiences with ebay bids
I was going to mention that too--maybe there's a finite amount of eBay luck for everybody
08-13-2010, 04:43 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

E bay is a lot like gambling. It is the fact that you occasionally "win" that keeps you going back, but over all, you are just better off buying on the market place. Less frustrating in the long run.
08-13-2010, 05:01 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
oh, north americans just shut up - I have seen countlessly well priced items that shipped exclusively CONUS
So when you say "North Americans", you mean "continental United States citizens". You know that the largest part of North America is outside of "CONUS", right?