Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2010, 09:19 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JoepLX3 Quote
By maintaining backward compatibilty you don't utilize the benefit of EVIL, being smaller lenses, which results in lower cost to get higher margin (or just acceptable margin at larger market share or against stronger competition).
By not maintaining some backward compatibility, you create a new mount system. By doing it the way Samsung did, the don't alienate there previous customer base that have K-mount lenses. Furthermore, they are aware of all the k-mount people out there.

QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
I would not want to use my K/M42 lenses on a m4/3 camera/rangefinder. I would only buy an m4/3/rangefinder camera for its diminutive size and the higher specced lenses available for it. Putting a relatively giant and slow SLR lens on it defeats the purpose of having an m4/3 camera. Perhaps it would work in a pinch but it's not ideal.

M4/3/rangefinder lenses also hold better specs. You can get an f1/0.95 m4/3 lens for $300 and an amazing Angenieux 25mm f0.95 for under 1k.
What about the above mentioned APS-c body by Samsung?

Last edited by Blue; 08-15-2010 at 09:39 AM.
08-15-2010, 09:40 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
What about the above mentioned APS-c body by Samsung?
I don't know. I've never used the Samsung mirrorless ASP-c body. I'm not sure what I'd do with that camera if I were ever to buy it, I'd probably still be using my current lineup of old manual focus full frame lenses. There's no alternative to that in the manual focus department, right? Size and weight has never been a huge factor for me. I'm fine with my K-x and I'd use/carry the 5D mk2 without any complaints.

In the m4/3 realm, however, I'd be all over the 16mm Bolex/Angenieux c-mount offerings. 10mm f1.8, 25mm f0.95, 75mm f1.8, etc. Even with the excessive crop factor compared to FF lenses, the specs are still nothing short of amazing.
08-15-2010, 09:51 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Holy Blue Mackeral, right after clicking the Post button, I realized what you're getting at. A ~28mm register distance would be amazing. That would include Leica M and other rangefinder mounts. Relatively inexpensive, high quality, Voigtlander RF lenses would be available for use. Unfortunately, it would not include C-mount lenses (25mm f0.95), so that's too bad. That's pretty exciting. It would mean a lot to me with my obsession for manual focus lenses.
08-15-2010, 09:56 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Holy Blue Mackeral, right after clicking the Post button, I realized what you're getting at. A ~28mm register distance would be amazing. That would include Leica M and other rangefinder mounts. Relatively inexpensive, high quality, Voigtlander RF lenses would be available for use. Unfortunately, it would not include C-mount lenses (25mm f0.95), so that's too bad. That's pretty exciting. It would mean a lot to me with my obsession for manual focus lenses.
I have been wondering for a while if Pentax were to get into this arena if it would be with a 28.8 registration distance given their previous foray 10 years ago. That in addition to a aps-c sensor and concurrently developed adapters for Leica screwmount, and K-mount would be interesting.

08-15-2010, 10:35 AM   #20
Veteran Member

What was their foray 10 years ago? I thought you were alluding to the Auto 110 cameras but they're much older than that.
08-15-2010, 10:51 AM   #21
Site Supporter

What was their foray 10 years ago? I thought you were alluding to the Auto 110 cameras but they're much older than that.
The L 43mm Special for the Leica sm. The 110 would be another route but I doubt that would happens since that mount is considered dead. If Pentax were to come out with a 28.8 rd body, Leica bosses would pass out.
08-15-2010, 10:54 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Pass out from joy?