Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2010, 05:44 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
As I've said before Mike, you have a way with words !! lol
The transition in imagery from Cinderella to snot was a bit abrupt, now that I think about it.

08-15-2010, 01:33 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Timos Quote
Thanks for the tips I am going to stick to pentax lenses, to avoid any potential problems..M mount lenses can also be mounted to the k-x, right?
Both the Rikenon-P and M42 adapter issues seem to be perennial topics!

Regarding the Rik-P pin, here are a couple of good links:

theatre of noise: Ricoh Lenses On Pentax Cameras -- The Ricoh Pin Fix

Hin's Tech Corner: Ricoh Pin and Ricoh R/K mount

I can confirm that it's child's play to remove the offending pin, providing you use the correct type (and size) of screwdriver. So, don't be afraid of any Rikenon, even the -P versions (though I have to say my Rik-P 50mm f2 hasn't quite the razor sharpness of non-P versions). (By the way, I suspect the "P" stands for "Program" rather than "Pin", since the -P versions were intended for use with the Ricoh SLRs which featured "program" exposure mode.)

As an added precaution, I would inspect the mounting flange of any non-Pentax "K" mount lens, as the odd one may have been intended for the Ricoh Program bodies, in which case it will have the offending spring-loaded pin.

Moving onto the adapter issue, I wouldn't be deterred from the joys of M42 lenses just because of a crummy adapter design!

Now, the proper design:

1. Will be a loose fit in the camera (so it won't jam!).

2. Will have a "mating" surface which is slightly recessed relative to camera mount (so that the adapter is drawn against the reverse side of the camera mount as the lens is tightened - thereby firming up the looseness).

3. Will have a positive "end-stop" (to prevent the possibility of the adapter turning excessively during lens tightening, which might cause the adapter to jam on the camera).

Lo and behold, the genuine Pentax adapter fulfills these design criteria. What a lucky break for the Pentax engineers! In contrast all (probably) the 3rd party "copies" are actually copies of the K-mount you'd find on a lens - which is NOT designed to be a loose fit!

And that's it, in a nutshell. (And it explains why certain former Eastern bloc lenses won't firm up properly using the genuine adapter - it's because they have a raised surface which doesn't extend as far as the inner diameter of the camera's mounting flange.)

Hope you find the above helpful!
08-15-2010, 02:42 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
You are unknowingly robbing yourself of some wonderful and satisfying photographic experiences if you let this unfortunate experience with a crap product put a halt to your foray into using your M42 lenses.

The problem is that so many people (my hand is in the air) engage in the false economy of buying a third-party adapter. Every now and then you find a good one, but in the end you end up chucking it and going with the problem-free genuine Pentax adapter....which doesn't cost all that much to begin with. The real economic move is to start with the genuine adapter and skip the third-party headache generators altogether.

Which is cheaper? Buying a bunch of K mount lenses to take the place of your current perfectly usable collection of M42 lenses? Or about $30 for a simple genuine adapter that slips into the camera mount like Cinderella's dainty little foot slipped into those glass slippers? And it comes out with just a fingernail and a slight twist. Picking your nose should be so easy.
Can't agree more, but to one's defense, many don't know the the existence of the genuine Pentax M42 adapter. Anyway, I love the adapter so much that now I have 4 of them just in case Pentax decides one day to stop producing it.

Last edited by ducdao; 08-15-2010 at 02:49 AM.