Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2010, 08:32 AM   #1

Problem with M42 adapter, how do you use it?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello all,

I've been using slrs for more than 25 years now. I'm into dslrs for 5 years and recently I moved from sony-minolta to pentax.

I've ordered an M42 adapter to pentax from ebay, to use my old M42 lenses and a Takumar 50/1.4 I recently bought. However, it seems that something is wrong with the adapter, it is very difficult for it to screw in the camera body and then almost impossible to take it out. The adapter is the following:

M42 to Pentax k10D k100D K110D K20D DL adapter(silver) on eBay (end time 30-Aug-10 09:03:32 BST)

and I use the special tool to take it out but it doesn't move at all, so I had to use 2 screwdrivers and then did not make any other attempt in order not to damage the body.

Did I buy a lemon adapter or do I do something wrong?

Thanks a lot in advance for any tip,

Timos

08-14-2010, 09:03 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
This is exactly why most here recommend getting the genuine Pentax Mount Adapter K.
08-14-2010, 09:05 AM   #3
Veteran Member

With the cheap clones of official Pentax adapters, YOU MUST REMOVE THE SCREW AND CLIP!! Once those are gone, you can screw the adaptor onto a lens and tighten it with a PK rear lens cap, used as a wrench. Failure to remove the screw and clip WILL DRIVE YOU APESHIT!
08-14-2010, 09:08 AM   #4
Forum Member

I am not sure since I use the K-X

My adapter says pentax K not PK like yours.
I think I had the problem in a store with a PK adapter. This however could not be mounted at all.

Taking the adapter off is a little tricky though.

take off the lense
Take a small screwdriver and push the little black blade to the side while carefully pushing it counterclockwise.
Be careful not to slip inside you camera.

Watch for the red point when mounting the lens

08-14-2010, 09:44 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you all for the quick replies

My adapter is PK. I removed the screw and clip and it still can not be mounted. This is the first problem, it can not be mounted. And when it mounts, it can not be unmounted. I am not going to bother anymore, I am going to look for manual pentax lenses that are mounted directly on the k-x..

As I understand, all manual pentax lenses, either M or K mount are mounted directly on the k-x, right?

Thanks a lot again..
08-14-2010, 09:49 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

All K mount lenses can be mounted on the K-x. Look out for third party lenses with the "Ricoh pin" as some of them can get stuck. Some older third party zooms have to be modified to fit, they have a large flange that prevents the lens from mounting unless you cut it down.
08-14-2010, 10:02 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
All K mount lenses can be mounted on the K-x. Look out for third party lenses with the "Ricoh pin" as some of them can get stuck. Some older third party zooms have to be modified to fit, they have a large flange that prevents the lens from mounting unless you cut it down.
Thanks for the tips I am going to stick to pentax lenses, to avoid any potential problems..M mount lenses can also be mounted to the k-x, right?

08-14-2010, 10:28 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, basically ANY Pentax lens with the K-mount will mount on ANY Pentax DSLR with no problems. Some third party, and Ricoh lenses have problems with a small pin that may get stuck in the AF mechanism on the body. But do not let the bad experieince with the M42 adapter stop you, just spend the $35-$40 it takes to get the GENUINE Pentax adapter, and enjoy those Taks !!!
08-14-2010, 10:48 AM   #9
Veteran Member

I just want to second Stratman here, don't let this experience discourage you.
There are a ton of nice to excellent M42 lenses out there that can be used effectively with your dslr. Yeah, just get the Genuine Pentax adapter and all your worries will be over.
08-14-2010, 10:50 AM   #10
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Here's a good and cheap this party adapter: General Brand Pentax-K Body to Universal Lens Adapter ABPKS -

BTW, I've written an article regarding using Takumar lenses/adapters on Pentax K-mount cameras: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-screw...ml#post1140376

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-14-2010, 11:07 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Here's a good and cheap this party adapter: General Brand Pentax-K Body to Universal Lens Adapter ABPKS -
I dunno Adam, that adapter got some pretty horrid reviews there on B&H. It does look pretty much like the genuine Pentax, but apparently is not as sturdy. For $20 more you can get the real deal, and not have to worry about those things.
08-14-2010, 11:08 AM   #12
mothy

Re M42

QuoteOriginally posted by Timos Quote
Thanks for the tips I am going to stick to pentax lenses, to avoid any potential problems..M mount lenses can also be mounted to the k-x, right?
I'll join the chorus: True, M42 adapters can be a pain. But, if you get a genuine Pentax adapter or find a third party adapter that works for you, there are a lot of good quality M42 lenses to be had. Many at bargain prices.

Just a note of caution regarding adapters: For Heaven's sake, be careful to always screw the adapter on CLOCKWISE. Once, after hundreds of proper mountings, somehow I screwed my (3rd party) adapter counter-clockwise onto my K10D. Yikes! There was no damage to camera or adapter, but I had to remove the lens mount from the body to get the adapter off. Do as I say, not as I did!
08-14-2010, 02:46 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Stratman Quote
I dunno Adam, that adapter got some pretty horrid reviews there on B&H. It does look pretty much like the genuine Pentax, but apparently is not as sturdy. For $20 more you can get the real deal, and not have to worry about those things.
Stratman is right. It is the same old Bower/Kalt/<insert name> adapter that has been causing headaches for the last couple decades. Even with the spring removed, the machining is such that there is still a risk over rotation in the mount. Simply not worth the trouble.

Steve
08-14-2010, 04:02 PM   #14
Veteran Member

You are unknowingly robbing yourself of some wonderful and satisfying photographic experiences if you let this unfortunate experience with a crap product put a halt to your foray into using your M42 lenses.

The problem is that so many people (my hand is in the air) engage in the false economy of buying a third-party adapter. Every now and then you find a good one, but in the end you end up chucking it and going with the problem-free genuine Pentax adapter....which doesn't cost all that much to begin with. The real economic move is to start with the genuine adapter and skip the third-party headache generators altogether.

Which is cheaper? Buying a bunch of K mount lenses to take the place of your current perfectly usable collection of M42 lenses? Or about $30 for a simple genuine adapter that slips into the camera mount like Cinderella's dainty little foot slipped into those glass slippers? And it comes out with just a fingernail and a slight twist. Picking your nose should be so easy.
08-14-2010, 04:51 PM   #15
Veteran Member

As I've said before Mike, you have a way with words !! lol