Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2010, 01:02 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
kiron 80-200mm f4.5 'a' focus lock review????

Hi all....

Does anyone have actual experience with this lens?
It does have 'a' functionality.... and have never known Kiron to produce
'clunkers'..... Thanks in advance for your responses/reviews/comments...
dave m

08-19-2010, 11:49 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I own one. I use it as often as the opportunity allows. It's a good lens overall.

Decently sharp, but not the sharpest, at least not mine. I definitely wouldn't call it soft, though it can get soft around f5. Of coarse, mine has a slight film on the inside of the outer most element which could be affecting the sharpness because I always remember that as one of my best lenses in my film days. It could also be my focusing skills aren't what they used to be.

It has Excellent bokah and I mean excellent. Make's a great portrait lens for that reason.
The Macro could be a little better. 1:4 isn't something to really boast about, but then again it is helpful when needed. It can get in pretty close for a 200mm. It's heavy, and built like a tank. I don't mind heavy though. I doubt i could ever accidentally break the thing. The zoom lock feature is a life saver, especially when focusing at something on the ground near your feet as other slide zooms, including this one, are susceptible to zoom creep. I'd buy it again if I the one I have broke.

I'd rate my lens at a 7 or 8. I might re-rate it at a 9 if after I clean the inside of the front element the focus improves.