Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2010, 08:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Cleaning old lenses

Hi all,

I had a commercial cleaner I picked up a a camera shop many years ago in Winnipeg. The shop owner gave me some of his supply and I've been using it for years. It did a wonderful job on the outside of all my old K, M, A and DA lenses. It never left any residue. It worked well on the leather on my old film cameras (MX, K2) as well. I just ran out and I have no idea what it was called and the camera shop is now gone.

I suspect this question has been asked before but what do you use to clean your lenses (not the glass)? Is there any commercial product available?

Also, what should be avoided beside Amorall?

Cheers

Tom G

Last edited by 8540tomg; 08-14-2010 at 08:39 PM. Reason: typo
08-15-2010, 08:33 AM   #2

Hi Tom
I have never used a cleaner for the outside of my lenses. If for some reason they have got very dirty a slightly damp cloth followed by a good rub with a microfibre cloth. That seems to keep my lenses looking good.
A dealer may use something to rejuvenate used equipment, but I personally would not use cleaners on a regular basis.
08-15-2010, 03:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

For really cruddy lenses I use industrial hand wipes, something like Kimwipes.

I bought a lens that looked, and felt, as though it had been soaked in orange juice and then left for years to roll around the bottom of the cardboard box that I found it in at a junk shop, it was truly horrible.

But after a good wipe down it was actually mint. The soap isn't so strong it will damage anything, and if you let them dry out a little bit the moisture isn't enough to run inside the lens.
08-16-2010, 07:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for the tips guys.

I'm not overly anal about cleaning my lenses but like my car I do try to keep them looking good. This stuff I was using was great but now its gone so I'm looking for a substitute.

Tom G