Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2010, 08:48 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
What happens if SDM fails?

If SDM fails in a DA* 16-50 or a DA* 50-135, are the lenses operable with a screw drive? Does it depend on which camera you're using, and which firmware you've got?

I remember hearing that a K10D without upgraded firmware could operate the DA*s by their screw-drives. Is this the case with a K100D, K20, Km, Kx, K7, etc.? Anyone know?

Thanks!

-Tim

08-14-2010, 09:14 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As far as I know, not with a K20d,KM, K-X and K-7. But it is possible with the older models on the original firmware.
08-14-2010, 09:52 PM   #3
Inactive Account

The K10d, with fw v 1.20 will operate in screw drive only. SDM is turned on in v1.30. All other cameras with SDM, you cannot turn it off. If SDM fails on your lens with one of those, you either have a repair bill or a manual focus lens.

08-14-2010, 11:21 PM   #4

Has anybody tried blocking the motor contact to see if the screw drive would work? Or is it just because the body recognizes the lens as SDM lens, it disengages the screw drive?

Peter

08-14-2010, 11:32 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Doanh Quote
Has anybody tried blocking the motor contact to see if the screw drive would work? Or is it just because the body recognizes the lens as SDM lens, it disengages the screw drive?

Peter
This has been attempted with no luck afaik.
08-15-2010, 04:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

How much would it cost to repair SDM?
08-15-2010, 07:31 PM   #7
Forum Member

SDM comes back to life

About two weeks ago, after not being used for a month or so, my DA*16-50 ceased working on my K200D. I tried it on my second K200D body and still nothing. I was getting ready to call Pentax to arrange for repairs when I saw a suggestion on a forum posting that said to try manually focusing the lens while holding down the shutter release button half way. So this morning I tried that and SAAZAM, the SDM came back to life. It has been working great all day, outside in bright sun and inside in low light. Like wow.

08-19-2010, 03:56 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by foxhead Quote
About two weeks ago, after not being used for a month or so, my DA*16-50 ceased working on my K200D. I tried it on my second K200D body and still nothing. I was getting ready to call Pentax to arrange for repairs when I saw a suggestion on a forum posting that said to try manually focusing the lens while holding down the shutter release button half way. So this morning I tried that and SAAZAM, the SDM came back to life. It has been working great all day, outside in bright sun and inside in low light. Like wow.
This is quite interesting, never heard of this before.
08-19-2010, 04:13 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by foxhead Quote
Very interesting. Like something was stuck in the gears and by doing MF it came to life. However, I would not bet that that lens would function till the end of the year. Maybe a proactive replacemment would be a good idea. Finger crossed anyway