Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2007, 03:47 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by matsoberg Quote
HeySean!

Please point me in the right direction! I really wanna use my Zeiss glass on the K10D. Actually, I´ve been itching for a Canon just to be able to use them...

I hear switching the focusing screen to a catz eye split or a istD screen will take care of the stop down metering issues on the K10D as well.

// Mats
Here you go Mats, 6 steps that aren't too complicated. I'd use one of these instead of M42. (These aren't my directions btw.)

Wesly Wong's Pbase C/Y Conversion

09-03-2007, 04:00 PM   #17
roy
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
lowell,
you're dead wrong!!
in Av mode the cam takes the Ev from the light that's coming into it. a M42 lens will shut the lens down to a smallr Aperture limiting the amount coming into the cam. that's the amount of light the cam meters to.

carpents!!! thanks for the great tip for K & M lenses. can you post a pic and add a little more info?? this would probably do better as it's own thread.
09-03-2007, 04:05 PM   #18
roy
Inactive Account

carpents, i just looked at this and it looks like an easy work around.
thanks again as it never crossed my mind
09-04-2007, 03:06 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by carpents Quote
Here you go Mats, 6 steps that aren't too complicated. I'd use one of these instead of M42. (These aren't my directions btw.)
The adapter you linked to is the flange type which doesn't allow for infinity focusing.

09-04-2007, 05:01 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
The adapter you linked to is the flange type which doesn't allow for infinity focusing.
Correct. But for the surgery from other lens mounts, this is the one you want. The above linked instructions convert a C/Y mount to M42 mount, but using the flanged adapter above you can skip the M42 entirely and go right to a K mount.
09-04-2007, 05:11 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Correct. But for the surgery from other lens mounts, this is the one you want. The above linked instructions convert a C/Y mount to M42 mount, but using the flanged adapter above you can skip the M42 entirely and go right to a K mount.
Ah! I did look at the instructions but failed to make the leap of using a flanged adapter instead of cannibalizing another M42 lens.

I have put on my orthopedic shoes and happily stand corrected.
09-05-2007, 01:11 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Dude, read my post.

There is a trick to use K- and M-mount lenses.

M42 lenses WILL STOP DOWN when you move the aperture ring. The camera can not press the plunger, so the lens must be operated in STOP DOWN (manual) mode. You only need the M42-to-Pentax K mount adapter! No modifications necessary.

If you are doubting what I am saying you obviously do not have M42 lenses and do not know what you are talking about.

Period!!
Read all the posts.

You are correct in one respect. I don't own any M42 lenses.

I was referring to K/M mount lenses.

Your comments and "trick" with respect to modifying the lens mount has reminded me of others who removed or bent the apature lever to stop the lens down perminantly, which to me seems a little distructive. It has also given me an idea for Pentax.

It is clear that they can stop down the lens, because they do so in Manual mode to allow full apature focusing but correct exposure with manual apature lenses.

Although it probably takes battery power, we could ask them for a small software change (new option) to leave manual apature lenses stopped down in Av mode, in the same manner that there are multiple green button functions etc.

What do you think? Its better than modifying lens mounts or lenses themselves.

The only thing I don't understand is why the strong desire for Av mode with a manual lens. Given that what ever fix requires stopping the lens down, you then have a more difficult time in focusing due to the dark screen, and except for screw mounts, the metering works after a fashion in manual mode (K10D and *istD at least) with either green button or DOF preview
09-05-2007, 01:37 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Wesly Wong's Pbase C/Y Conversion
Thanks Sean!

Already bought two of those K-adaptors and will slaughter my 50mm Planar when they arrive. Will mark the other one with; "28mm Distagon"!

Will I need to schim or mill the adaptor to get proper focusing to infinity?

Jeez...I´m getting way off topic here...Sorry!

// Mats