Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2010, 01:53 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sunlight "ray" discussion

Can anyone provide discussion on how to produce "rays" of sunlight in pictures? I have noticed plenty of examples in the DA 15mm thread - is it a result of the lens, camera settings or PP? If it is the lens what other lenses will produce a similar effect?

Cheers,
Sam

08-15-2010, 02:02 AM   #2

I'm sure a little mist, fog or smoke in the air would help, if you're after the effect I think you are. I'm not sure if there's a lens or filter which will produce this but I'm sure someone who knows these things will be along any second.
08-15-2010, 04:37 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I think he is talking about lens flare which is really easy to produce, but difficult to control for artistic effect. Just include the sun or any other strong light source in the frame and depending on your aperture you will get the effect. Wider apertures seem to suffer from it the worst.
08-15-2010, 04:46 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think he is talking about the diffraction effect that the DA 15 has on the sun (and other bright lights). Basically any lens can cause that star look if you stop down enough. Lenses with odd numbers of aperture blades have twice the number of points on the stars as there are blades, while those with even numbers have the same number of points on the stars as there are blades.

The DA 15 seems to be special in creating this effect at pretty wide apertures and not flaring.

08-15-2010, 05:05 AM   #5
Pentaxian

There are also starburst filters with lines cut making a diamond pattern but all highlights will get the look not just the sun
08-15-2010, 05:30 AM   #6
Site Supporter

I also assume it's the effect caused by aperture rays. There's nothing special about the DA15mm in this regard, it's just that a wide-angle lens is more likely to have the sun in it.

Here's an example from the 10-17mm fisheye. Six aperture blades, six rays.

The light in the bottom right is a good example of the 18 rays you get from a lens with 9 aperture blades (31mm F1.8 in this case.)

Here's one from the 50mm F1.4, with eight blades:

Here's a shot using a cross screen filter. Note that it's a very different look.

I would assume that even number blades also produce double sets of rays, but since they line up with the one on the opposite side, you don't notice them. You won't get them when shooting wide open (since the aperture blades are hidden) and you also won't get them on a truly circular aperture, like the interchangeable rings in a Lensbaby.
08-15-2010, 10:28 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I think he is talking about sunlight rays and not flare effects, something like

Sunlight rays image by tsakushi2 on Photobucket
08-15-2010, 01:13 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Yusuf. You are probably correct

These rays are due to either humidity or dust

08-15-2010, 02:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member

There are several ways to get this. It has nothing to do eith the lens but smc like coatings like from pentax can help. On certain days with lots of cloud cover and a reflective surface like desert or beach sand, or with water from the ocean, this causes
08-15-2010, 02:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Actually, while that photo is excellent, I don't think that's what the OP meant, as he refers to the pictures on the DA 15mm thread. And most of those (including some of mine) have the 14-point rays produced by the 7-blade iris. I actually posted the question a few posts back up the thread, as to where exactly did the interpolated "rays" come from - are they reflections off the back lens element, for example?

That's just one example. The thread's last page is here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/86234-15mm-lim...y-mind-28.html

There are several examples on that page of the effect.

Of all the lenses I own (a lot!!) this DA 15mm is by far the best at shooting straight into the sun. Stopping down to about f/16 will give that "ray" effect.

Last edited by Derridale; 08-15-2010 at 06:50 PM. Reason: Picture inserted instead of just the link
08-15-2010, 02:58 PM   #11
Veteran Member

a slight haze. If you convet it to a black and white picture with a sepia look using split toning and then balancing each color in b&w it can be very pretty. But your color image will look rather funky being your faces will have too much purple from the
08-15-2010, 03:00 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Trog - your posts are getting split into segments..... Not sure what you're doing, but we're getting bits at a time.
08-15-2010, 03:01 PM   #13
Veteran Member

UV haze. I never use a UV filter. That light is there for a reason, it's up to you to figure out how to use it. All I ever use is a Formattt clear to protect it.
08-15-2010, 03:03 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Derridale,
Sorry, not my fault. My stupid cell only allows that many characters per post and I cant type fast enough to have them be continued posts I'm a photographer Jim, not a typist!
08-15-2010, 03:21 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Perhaps it should be done from a computer rather than a phone? I wonder if Adam could combine the separate posts into one?