Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-15-2008, 10:54 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Don't forget the 3rd mount for Pentax...the screw mount! I have 1 M42, 1 KM, and 2 KAs at the moment

I read the same thing about the PKA only allowing f/4. But I picked up my cam tonight with the 90 Macro on it and got f/2.4...interesting...Av mode with the lens locked for A, naturally.

Edit: Yeah, it works

Edit 2: Everyone needs a 90 Macro...it's a lens you shouldn't be without!

02-16-2008, 12:39 AM   #17
Forum Member

Adaptall Mounts

I was lucky enough to aquire a 300 f2.8 Tamron 6 or so months ago for a good price. At the time i only had the K mount not the KA mount. I picked up a KA mount just the other day and WOW. This lens was amazing before but so much easier to use now. Dont have to worry about manual metering which is tricky when shooting sports.

This is a fantastic lens, very pleased with it, i was worried reading the issues related to KA mounts from Adaptall 2 on ther forums, not working wrong apertures etc etc. Mine works perfectly, right down to f2.8.

Hope this helps.

Dave
02-16-2008, 02:24 AM   #18
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I reciently looked at a 300 f2.8 and had the following impressions.

FIrst, that there was a lot of CA, much more than my SMC 300 F4.
Second, I could only open up to f4.5. I read somewhere that adaptall 2 was limited to F4, and this concerned me, as I wanted to be able to shoot wide open if I had to.
FInally, the adaptor kept loosing registration with the engagement slots in the lens, and therefore screwing up both the AE function and maximum and minimum apatures.
I guess your lens is defective and the Adaptall ring too. My copy of this lens exhibits is a small amount of chromatic aberration wide open and some purple fringing too, but rather less than the SMC 300/4.

Of course, the Adaptall II mount is not limited to F/4 and the lens is usable up to F/2.8. Here are some shots taken wide open with this lens:

100% crop of preceding picture:

100% crop of preceding picture:

I guess sharpness and contrast could be better, but it's pouring here -- you can see the rain drops on the second picture.

Cheers!

Abbazz
02-16-2008, 07:12 AM   #19
Veteran Member

LOL, I've had "the tiny SP 35-80/2.8-3.8" since '85, the Pentax KA is the third mount it's on (OM, Nikon), and I'm about to use a regular K mount, as I've got the KA on the 90 2.5 macro.

Excellent lenses, great construction, and the mounts work well.

02-16-2008, 08:17 AM   #20
roy
Inactive Account

lowell,
i think something was wrong witht the setup you used..i get very little to no CA. the mount can be a little intimidating at first. sometimes you have to play with it until you develope some technique. i thought i had it down and then i picked up the 3 TCs A2 that are offered and i had to learn it all over again.. the TCs are very fine lenses.. so fine i'm sorry i can't use them on other lenses.. here's some shots.

panning using a 200f 2xTC.. 600mm

02-16-2008, 11:40 AM   #21
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yeah I recently picked up a 90 f2.5 and a 500mm f8 mirror. Haven't done a lot of critcal shooting but they seem excellent. The 500 of course has the typical mirror bokeh but that can be worked around in PP way more than in the film days. I tried the 90 with 60mm of extension and it was sharp. Not the perfect macro set up but very good images. Might look for a 2x for 1:1 macros.

Having trap focus is nice as well. We have a horse racing track here and I am taking the 500mm out there soon.

I only have the k adapter so it's manual all the way. I'll wind up paying more for a KA version than both these lenses cost ....
02-16-2008, 11:42 AM   #22
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Roy, I assume that's a typo for the pelican. it's the 300 with 1, 2xTC correct. Not 2, 2xTC's stacked.

02-16-2008, 12:38 PM   #23
Veteran Member

I'm lucky...I got my one KA for $20 from a shop (bought the 90 and TC at the same time), then went back and bought the 28-135 with a KA on it for $70 total
03-04-2008, 07:20 AM   #24
Veteran Member

So, will the Tamron Adaptall II P/KA only accept Tamron lenses? and this is totally different than the T-mount?

Thanks
03-04-2008, 08:35 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JCSullivan Quote
So, will the Tamron Adaptall II P/KA only accept Tamron lenses? and this is totally different than the T-mount?

Thanks
Yes and yes.

T mounts look like a tube, while the AD2 mounts are thin.

I think Tamron offers T mounts for AD2 lenses though...
03-04-2008, 11:34 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Yeah I recently picked up a 90 f2.5 and a 500mm f8 mirror. Haven't done a lot of critcal shooting but they seem excellent. The 500 of course has the typical mirror bokeh but that can be worked around in PP way more than in the film days. I tried the 90 with 60mm of extension and it was sharp. Not the perfect macro set up but very good images. Might look for a 2x for 1:1 macros.
I have the Adaptal 2 SP 2x matched converter for the 90mm and could be convinced to part with it if anyone is interested.
03-05-2008, 12:48 AM   #27
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Tamron = good glass

I just figured to put my two cents worth in. I have two Adaptall 2 lenses (28mm f/2.5 and 70-150mm f/3.5) bought new in 1982 along with the SP 2x converter. The value point for me was the combination of build and optical quality coupled with small physical size, relatively light weight and close focus ability. The Adaptall mount was value added in that it allowed me to easily switch from my (new at the time) Ricoh XR-7 to my older Ricoh TLS while maintaining full auto-aperture on both cameras.

For years the 28mm was my favorite lens for shooting landscapes with film with the zoom being used primarily for portraits and closeups. When I bought the K10D last year, I was pleased to find that the old Tamrons worked well on the new camera. Below is a close-up shot taken with the 70-150:

Attachment 9181

A few more with the 28mm (both hand-held)

Attachment 9180

Attachment 9179

The only sour points were that the 28mm focal length was less useful to me given the K10D's crop factor and there are exposure issues with the PK Adaptall mount (similar to those with other K/M K-mount lenses).

My advice?

1) If you find an Adaptall 2 lens in reasonable condition, buy it (assuming you can get an appropriate mount...see below). The prices are usually pretty reasonable (<$35 for the 28mm for instance). The SP lenses are particularly good, but more money.

2) Get the PK/A mount if you can find one at a price you can swallow. Otherwise, settle for the PK mount and learn how to adjust your exposure compensation for larger/smaller apertures. (There is some compensation in that the PK version seems to be better made and mounts more precisely to the lens.)

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-30-2010 at 09:46 PM.
03-05-2008, 01:00 AM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote

FInally, the adaptor kept loosing registration with the engagement slots in the lens, and therefore screwing up both the AE function and maximum and minimum apatures.
Are you sure about the registration slots. There is a known issue with the PK/A mount regarding the electrical contacts that causes a similar symptom. There are quite a few posts on the Web regarding this. Generally, you just have to jockey it a little on the camera to secure a better electrical contact.

If it is the registration slots...The key with any Adaptall mount is to make the aperture ring is at its widest setting before attempting to seat the mount. That being done, one of the registration tabs will be generally register into its slot as the mount is twisted on and the second may then be easily slid into the other slot. If they don't stay put, the mount is defective. (I have been swapping these mounts out for over 20 years and never had a problem with the tabs slipping out once they are properly seated.)

Cheers,

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-05-2008 at 01:16 AM.
03-05-2008, 05:24 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Are you sure about the registration slots. There is a known issue with the PK/A mount regarding the electrical contacts that causes a similar symptom. There are quite a few posts on the Web regarding this. Generally, you just have to jockey it a little on the camera to secure a better electrical contact.

If it is the registration slots...The key with any Adaptall mount is to make the aperture ring is at its widest setting before attempting to seat the mount. That being done, one of the registration tabs will be generally register into its slot as the mount is twisted on and the second may then be easily slid into the other slot. If they don't stay put, the mount is defective. (I have been swapping these mounts out for over 20 years and never had a problem with the tabs slipping out once they are properly seated.)

Cheers,

Steve
no it was the tabs on the adaptor coming out of the registration slots. it seemed to be unable to go correctly to the minimum apature setting, (i.e. ae mode) Once there the lens functioned but could only fo to f4.5 not f2.8,

I believe this was an early copy of the lens, but overall, I was dissatisfied enough not to consider buying it.
03-05-2008, 08:00 AM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
Yes and yes.

T mounts look like a tube, while the AD2 mounts are thin.

I think Tamron offers T mounts for AD2 lenses though...
Thanks Ryan, and yes, it was from your tag I discovered the manual focus forum.