Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-25-2007, 05:55 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Re: Tamron Adaptall lenses

What automatic features are available when using a Tamron Adaptall lens with a Pentax K type adapter on a K10D? Any blanket comments on the Adaptall line? Thanks

08-25-2007, 09:55 AM   #2

There are two types of Adaptall mounts for Pentax, the PK and the PK/A. I have both Adaptall mounts.

The PK acts just like any non A Pentax lens:
Manual Focus, Manual Aperture setting

The PK/A has contacts that register the Aperture setting and acts like any A lens:
Manual focus, but Aperture is controlled via the cameras thumb wheel allowing you to shoot in Av Mode.

Hope this helps.
08-25-2007, 12:47 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QUOTE]Hope this helps.

Indeed it does, and thanks. I would assume that you have experience with some of the Adaptall lenses. I would appreciate your impression of them.

CN
08-25-2007, 12:52 PM   #4

I have been using some of them. Quality varies from adequate to very good.

Here more: Adaptall-2.com

08-25-2007, 03:14 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The only thing I have noticed is that the lenses do not seem to have a limit on maximum apature. On my 24 mm F2.5 I can dial up f1.4.

p.s. I also noted that the automatic lens mount (which I just got a while ago) does not seem as secure as the manual one
08-25-2007, 03:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, fellas. Based on the info received, I think I'll go in some other direction if buying used lenses.
08-25-2007, 04:03 PM   #7
roy
Inactive Account

if you get the SP series i doubt you'll be diappointed.

08-25-2007, 05:45 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Clem Nichols Quote
Thanks, fellas. Based on the info received, I think I'll go in some other direction if buying used lenses.
That's a shame, because Tamron Adaptall lenses offer many advantages over any other brand:

- The interchangeable Adaptall mount allow the lenses to mount on almost any 35mm SLR ever built, either film or digital, APS-C or full frame. I use mine on an old Pentax SV and a Ricoh Singlex TLS film cameras with M42 screwmount, a Pentax *ist D and a Pentax K10 DLSRs with Pentax K bayonet mount, as well as on a Canon 1 DS full frame DSLR with Canon EOS mount. Who knows which camera you will have in 5 years time...

- With the right adapter (PK/A), Adaptall lenses function exactly as Pentax A lenses (as noted by Crashman). You can use all the auto exposure modes on your Pentax camera.

- The image quality of Adaptall lenses is generally very good. The Adaptall SP (Superior Performance) series are outstanding lenses -- have a look at the Modern Photography tests on the Adaptall-2 website. There are some truly unique lenses, like the fabulous SP 70-150/2.8 soft focus, the tiny SP 35-80/2.8-3.8, the mighty SP 300/2.8, and the list goes on...

- You will pay a lot of money to get the same built quality (all metal construction) from modern lenses -- just have a look at the Zeiss pricelist...

But, shhhh!... don't let people know about Adaptall lenses or prices will go up

Cheers!

Last edited by Abbazz; 08-25-2007 at 07:39 PM.
08-25-2007, 07:12 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hmmmn,

Perhaps I was too hasty in my conclusion. Thanks for your input.

CN
08-28-2007, 12:42 PM   #10

Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain!

QuoteOriginally posted by Abbazz Quote
SNIP!
- You will pay a lot of money to get the same built quality (all metal construction) from modern lenses -- just have a look at the Zeiss pricelist...

But, shhhh!... don't let people know about Adaptall lenses or prices will go up
Nice going Abbazz! Your explanation is so convincing you probably created even more competition for Tamron lenses and PK/A adapters!

Clem, pay no attention to him. Them Tamron lenses are stinkers!

To all: if you have any of these horrible lenses, feel free to send them to me for disposal.

/Scottax1
08-28-2007, 02:58 PM   #11
roy
Inactive Account

i agree scott.
i'm having my first experience with these fantastic lenses. tamon did a great thing. i'm really impressed..
my problem is the poor IQ i get from my recently aquired 300/2.8. i hear the others are the same.. oh well.
02-15-2008, 12:51 PM   #12
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Peacekeeper Quote
The PK acts just like any non A Pentax lens:
Manual Focus, Manual Aperture setting

The PK/A has contacts that register the Aperture setting and acts like any A lens:
Manual focus, but Aperture is controlled via the cameras thumb wheel allowing you to shoot in Av Mode.
Please pardon my ignorance; alas, I don't quite understand which adapter would be appropriate/best for an SP 300 to DSLR for greatest functionality - PK or PK/A. Also confused about Adaptall vs. Adaptall 2 mounts. Seems like manual-everything only requires the basic $30 adpater B&H sells.

TIAFYH
02-15-2008, 01:38 PM   #13
roy
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by TreeHuggerDoug Quote
Please pardon my ignorance; alas, I don't quite understand which adapter would be appropriate/best for an SP 300 to DSLR for greatest functionality - PK or PK/A. Also confused about Adaptall vs. Adaptall 2 mounts. Seems like manual-everything only requires the basic $30 adpater B&H sells.

TIAFYH
correct.. the mount B&H sells will be the same use as a K or M series lens. no problem with that but having the A setting just nakes it nicer..
02-15-2008, 02:27 PM   #14
Veteran Member

My Adaptall SP 90mm f/2.5 is one of the best lenses I have. Its a super sharp lens
02-15-2008, 05:06 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by roy Quote
i agree scott.
i'm having my first experience with these fantastic lenses. tamon did a great thing. i'm really impressed..
my problem is the poor IQ i get from my recently aquired 300/2.8. i hear the others are the same.. oh well.
Roy

I reciently looked at a 300 f2.8 and had the following impressions.

FIrst, that there was a lot of CA, much more than my SMC 300 F4.
Second, I could only open up to f4.5. I read somewhere that adaptall 2 was limited to F4, and this concerned me, as I wanted to be able to shoot wide open if I had to.
FInally, the adaptor kept loosing registration with the engagement slots in the lens, and therefore screwing up both the AE function and maximum and minimum apatures.

Did I just have a bad copy of the lens (CA) and mount (last 2 points) or is what I experienced a problem in general?