Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2010, 01:51 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Internal Dust & Cleaning - Pentax-M 50mm/1.4

OK, so I did some searching, and I know this has been touched on a bit, but I guess I can't really find answers to exactly what I'm looking for, so here it goes.

I have a Pentax-M 50/1.4 I recently picked up really cheap. The glass is fine, but there is a decent amount of internal dust. The pictures it takes seem OK, but I have a couple questions.

- How much is the dust going to affect image quality?
- What are the chances that someone who has never disassembled a lens before can successfully disassemble, clean, and reassemble this thing so it works like new? It's not worth it to me to lose the lens altogether, for sure.
- Is there any definitive method for taking the lens apart for this? I've seen different guides related to A/M lens disassembling (none of which seem very concise), and they vary on whether to go through the front or the back to start.
- Any other useful advice that I may not have asked for directly also welcome.

Thanks in advance

08-15-2010, 02:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

It would take quite a bit of dust before you'd notice any degradation in image quality. You would have to take side by side images with a clean lens to notice any difference.

I would not bother with cleaning it if you don't notice any degradation in IQ. If you insist on doing so, though, it would require a spanner wrench, a 1.00mm precision slotted screwdriver and some sort of a circular rubber tool to remove the face plate if the dust is behind the front element.

Last edited by hangu; 08-15-2010 at 06:50 PM. Reason: god awful grammar errors
08-16-2010, 06:08 AM   #3
Forum Member

A good idea is to first get acquainted on a crap garbage lens you can get for 5$ on the bay.
08-16-2010, 12:17 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by danielausparis Quote
A good idea is to first get acquainted on a crap garbage lens you can get for 5$ on the bay.
I resemble that remark.

One of my latest acquisitions is a brand-new US$5 lens in PK (M) mount. The front says 1:2.0 50mm AUTO LENS JAPAN 52(theta). The plastic body has an aperture ring and a focus ring with DOF scale. And that is ALL that is on the lens. No maker, no serial number, no nothing. Clean as a whistle, seems to render nicely. It's just totally anonymous. No, my fave junk lens is a Hanimex-Tokina 135/2.8 that is fogged beyond belief. At least it only cost US$3. All my five-buck lenses are better.