Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2010, 02:42 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Do I need the rubber grip on a manual focus lens?

I might bid on a lens I've been lusting after for months that I've never been able to find before for the price I want. If I do get it, should I just scrape off the remaining rubber and paint it flat black or should I put on a rubber paint. Or does no

08-15-2010, 02:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
original rubber make it too hard to use? The radio active glass looks to be pristine and besides like 90% of the rubber ribs gone the metal itself is practically new too. But does look mighty ugly with the silver parts with no rubber.
08-15-2010, 03:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Yes .
08-15-2010, 03:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hangu,
Is there a way to make a makeshift rubber grip? Or is the lens useless?

08-15-2010, 03:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Just use electrical tape or gaffer's tape
08-15-2010, 03:37 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
While you are bidding, you might want to consider residual value - especially if you are bidding any significant money. If the lens is in bad condition but optically valuable, you might want to consider possibly restoring the lens, hence not doing anything that is ir-reverseable.

Rumor has it that there is a gentleman here that specializes in repairing and fixing Pentax lens, who's skills and talents are extraordinary. Eric I believe is his name, and he has a website. From what I understand you can email him with the particulars and he will return estimates. I have never needed his services and talents - yet.....
08-15-2010, 07:01 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you want an easy grip why not look at a tennis racket grip or overgrip

You can get a 3 pack of overgrips for $10

08-15-2010, 10:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The magic cure-all: Duct tape.

My M42 Vivitar-Komine 90/2.8 macro (cost: US$3) arrived with the wide knurled rubber grip mostly eaten away. I removed the remains and found that duct tape fit wonderfully into the area that had formerly contained rotten rubber. It sure don't look real high-class, nope it don't, but it works like a charm.

And probably nobody will be interested in stealing it.

No ducks were damaged while writing this post.
08-15-2010, 10:42 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Find a piece of thin leather (an old purse, jacket, belt) or quirky upholsery material, trim to fit and apply with contact cement.

Drives the purists crazy.

H2
08-21-2010, 03:50 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Doesn't matter anyway now. It was a Vivitar series 1 135mm f2.3 m42 mount. I bid $55 and shipping was $10. Not enoughand was outbid! People are insane these days with old lenses which meter funky, flare and no AF. They're collect and don't use is my guess
08-21-2010, 04:56 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by troglodyte Quote
Doesn't matter anyway now. It was a Vivitar series 1 135mm f2.3 m42 mount. I bid $55 and shipping was $10. Not enoughand was outbid! People are insane these days with old lenses which meter funky, flare and no AF. They're collect and don't use is my guess
Clearly, you have no idea what that lens is capable of. It's a Komine made lens with a minimum focusing distance of 3 feet and an impressive early-S1 build quality. It's a cult classic and should easily go above $100 for one in good condition. I've had no issues with the metering and flare resistance of Vivitar S1 VMC lenses.

Your bid was too low and now you're just spewing sour grapes. I mean seriously, who would collect a lens with no rubber grip?

The virtues of manual focus lenses go far beyond their relative inexpensive price. I'd like to see you find a 135mm f2.5 lens with AF and flare resistance for anywhere close to $65 shipped. You'd be lucky to find one for under $300.
08-21-2010, 09:18 PM   #12
Banned

Photos: Albums
I know the lens troglodyte mentioned. The weird thing is that I remember seeing the same lens for sale some months ago too - either the seller relisted it or whoever bought it didn't like it. The lens looked pretty bad but the seller was claiming that the glass was good - I'm not sure what could have caused the rubber to fall without affecting the lens otherwise, so I passed it too.
08-21-2010, 09:58 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
laurentiu,
Hence why I was only willing to pay $65 on it. Even though I've been lusting for that lens ever since I got my k7 six months ago. But I've never seen one for a reasonable pricem I thought in that condition I'd get lucky.
That was the other
08-21-2010, 10:00 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
point of my last post. Either people are stealing pics from other auctions or people buy a lot of these "rare" lenses just to repost. It gets frustrating!
08-22-2010, 12:07 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
Clearly, you have no idea what that lens is capable of. It's a Komine made lens with a minimum focusing distance of 3 feet and an impressive early-S1 build quality. It's a cult classic and should easily go above $100 for one in good condition. I've had no issues with the metering and flare resistance of Vivitar S1 VMC lenses.

Your bid was too low and now you're just spewing sour grapes. I mean seriously, who would collect a lens with no rubber grip?

The virtues of manual focus lenses go far beyond their relative inexpensive price. I'd like to see you find a 135mm f2.5 lens with AF and flare resistance for anywhere close to $65 shipped. You'd be lucky to find one for under $300.
I only paid $125 for my K135 F2.5 in mint condition with caps and hood from a local store

Does that count?

I only paid 65 including shipping for a preset 135 F2.8 with 15 blades and unique bokeh and as good at color rendition and sharpness to the SMC tak 135F3.5