Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2010, 03:41 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
No, I don't. That's why I asked the question. Seems like a bit of a pointless worry to me but, that's just me.

For unobtrusive street photography, size matters.

08-16-2010, 10:57 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I have to ask the 'street shooters' this question. Do any of you really think that the size of the lens masks the fact you are pointing a camera at someone (who in all likely-hood, you do not know)? I could see the obvious, we'll call it an intrusion concern, if you were using a Bigma. In other words, How exactly does the Hood Detract from the usefulness of lens A with a hood vs Lens B, without one?
You'd be far away enough with a Bigma to probably not really be noticed. I usually shoot without a hood for the reason that Camus has stated. When you are getting close to people you, or I can anyway, feel the physical length of the lens. Jamming a camera in a strangers face is not very easy and hoodless, a lens feels better/more comfortable street shooting. Sure you could fork out for a deciated street shooting Leica M9 but most people don't have the money for one of those babies. I saw a couple of Asian blokes in the city a week back with M8/M9s shooting stationary bicycles- not what they are built for! But each to their own.

I have had a few people comment that 30mm is a strange focal length for street, and i'll agree i'm still getting used to it. But, i've heard from quite a few decent street shooters that '50mm (on FF) is what street shooting is all about' and that is close to what the 30mm ends up at on a crop sensor.

Back to the flare issue, I used a Hoya multicoated UV (0) filter on my Tamron 17-50 and from memory, out of thousands of images, I hardly ever experienced flare without the hood on. And when I did get flare it was controlled enough to not destroy the image and even in some cases worked in my favour, producing some interesting images. I bought the same Hoya multicoated filter for the Sigma, but have not yet used it. Might give it a go to see if it helps shooting in the general direction of the sun.
08-19-2010, 06:57 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Just an interesting note. I'm just watching War Photographer, and noticed James Nachtwey doesn't seem to use lens hoods much.

Last edited by CWyatt; 08-19-2010 at 10:06 PM.
08-19-2010, 07:42 PM   #19
Pentaxian

I use the Pentax FA31 f/1.8 limited, and that thing is pretty much impervious to flare. but it comes at a price, the built in hood is fantastic, it adds to the bulk of the lens but unlike other lenses with removable hoods at least I don't have to worry about the day the hood gets loose. The focal length is 46.5mm f/2.7(in terms of dof) on APS-C format cameras, I really like it.

09-17-2010, 07:44 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thought I'd make a little update on this thread for people interested in the Sigma. I've shot it without the hood for a week or so now in some different light conditions and it seems fine. Lovely lens too. Also stopped using the hood on my Sigma 24-60mm f/2.8
09-17-2010, 10:01 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Right-o. I use any of a few wide-ish manuals -- Zenitar 16/2.8, Tokina 21/3.8, various 24/2.8's, M28/2.8 -- when I want to force myself to shoot with discipline and character. But the 18-55 kit (which I bought after I'd had my K20D for a year) is nice and small and flexible for wandering around narrow streets. Ah, but to grab inaccessible details, it's the DA18-250, which is faster at 55mm too, although not quite so unobtrusive, eh?

Of course, there's street, and then there's street. Depending on the street, I'll go longer the M50/1.7 or FA50/1.4 or MacTak 50/4 or Helios-44 58/2, or a Nikkor 85/2 (my favorite for SF Chinatown) or B135/2.5 or TeleTak 200/5.6 (my fave for small hilly villages). And for dangerous streets, there's always the compact Sakar 500/8 mirror.
I don't think the 500/8 is really an option for dangerous streets ...... you'd need a tripod and that would limit your ability to outrun the mob

It seems like the TS has plenty of street experience so other recommendations are probably not what he's seeking (for the record I prefer the 55-300 or 43 Ltd and the Tamron 90 is quite nice too, hmm so is the CZJ Sonnar 135 or SMC Tak 135, and then there is .............. )