Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2010, 12:00 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
I want a longer hood than what was originally made for a 50mm. Like wheatfield said, in reality I want an 85mm hood.
Well, you can always do it yourself.

One last thing, afaik the diameter of slip-on hoods is being given as per the outer diameter. So, for a 52mm thread lens it'd be something like a 54mm slip-on hood.

Good luck,
Georg

08-17-2010, 12:18 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by georgweb Quote
One more thing,
you could try to get the filter thread in shape just so a step ring could be kind of forced into it. Let's say you are putting a 52>55mm stepring onto your lens and let it stay there permanently. Got to do it with the stepring attached to something more solid, which you can grab (e.g. a hood).
Be careful,
Georg
This is exactly what I did with my dented Cosina 55mm f/1.2.

The threaded filter ring was dented and the threads were somewhat flattened. I used needlenose pliers -- with several layers of masking tape around each tip at the working end to soften them up and avoid further metal-on-metal thread damage, and slowly, patiently worked it back to almost-round.

Then I carefully screwed a step-up ring on there, very cautiously, because some of the threads remained pretty thrashed and there was potential for cross-threading. It took a while, slowly working it back and forth, to get the ring to go on straight. (I think it was a gradual process of straightening the bent threads back to fit the mating section of the step-up ring).

Now that it's on, I'm never taking it off! I use a hood that screws onto the undamaged outer threads of the step-up ring.

Good as new! Well, almost, and I got the damaged lens at a great price so it was well worth the effort.

This worked well for me, but of course, no guarantees for your situation.
08-17-2010, 02:16 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
I know you shoot film, so this differs a bit. I want a longer hood than what was originally made for a 50mm. Like wheatfield said, in reality I want an 85mm hood.

Makes sense. I do the same with my A 50 on my digital. OTOH, a 50mm hood is a whole lot better than nothing. I'd go for that if easily available and then watch for the 85 hood. (If you have a 50 hood, you're justified in going for a K 35/2.0 to use with it.)
08-18-2010, 07:36 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I had the same exact situation as you did. I ended up getting the Nikon HS-4 hood, which I'm very happy with. Nice quality and holds onto the lens quite well. It's meant for the 105mm lens among others, but I have not noticed any vignetting with it on digital (keep in mind I and many others use the 135mm Takumar hood for our 50mm Pentax lenses with 49mm threads). Given a couple of weeks, you should be able to pick one up on Ebay for $10 or under shipped. There are also some slightly shallower hoods in the range if you want (HS-8, for 105mm but shallower, and HS-10, meant for the 85mm).