Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-15-2010, 09:30 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax K 50mm F/1.2 lens hood dilemma

So after seeing the affect a proper lens hood has, I decided my K 50mm F/1.2 needs one more than any other.

The problem is, the filter ring is badly dented inwards. A clip on lens cap fits fine, so my question is...

Do any 52mm clip on hoods exist? Anything like the plastic clip on hood made for the Pentax M 85mm/M 100mm (49mm)? If not, what are some possible solutions?

08-15-2010, 10:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Can the filter ring be straightened out with a very careful hand and a pair of needle nose plyers?
08-15-2010, 11:42 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
So after seeing the affect a proper lens hood has, I decided my K 50mm F/1.2 needs one more than any other.

The problem is, the filter ring is badly dented inwards. A clip on lens cap fits fine, so my question is...

Do any 52mm clip on hoods exist? Anything like the plastic clip on hood made for the Pentax M 85mm/M 100mm (49mm)? If not, what are some possible solutions?
yes 52mm lens hoods do exist however the generic designs aren't anywhere near as effective as the originals.

and how to deal with your dented filter thread... this is going to require some lens disassembly, on the K version of the SMCP-K 50mm f/1.2 there is a silver ring at the end of the focusing ring, press down on it and turn it counter clockwise. set the lens's focus to 0.45 and you will see three screws just above the focusing helicoid these screws attach the filter thread to the lens, turn them counter clockwise and you should be able to remove the filter thread and adjust it without running the risk of a pliers/ front element collusion to your 50mm f/1.2.

I hope this helps.I often have to tighten these three screws because the filter thread on my 50mm f/1.2 keeps becomes loose from time to time.

Last edited by Digitalis; 08-15-2010 at 11:52 PM.
08-15-2010, 11:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Digitalis Quote
yes 52mm lens hoods do exist however the generic designs aren't anywhere near as effective as the originals.

oadn how to deal with your dented filter thread... this is going to require some lens disassembly, on the K version of the SMCP-K 50mm f/1.2 there is a silver ring at the end of the focusing ring, press down on it and turn it counter clockwise. set the lens's focus to 0.45 and you will see three screws just above the focusing helicoid these screws attach the filter threat to the lens, turn them counter clockwise and you should be able to remove the filter thread and adjust it without running the risk of a pliers/ front element collusion to your 50mm f/1.2.

I hope this helps.
If you're going that route, consider purchasing a broken/beat up/fungus ridden K55/2, they're relatively cheap. You should be able to replace the lens thread with the one from the K55/2.

08-15-2010, 11:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

52mm clip on lens hood

it looks like Nikon makes a 52mm diameter snap on circular hood for a 50mm f/1.2, there's also some pedal shaped ones on that list
08-16-2010, 12:10 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Look at hoods from other manufacturers. I think that Canon and Nikon both used 52mm as the front thread on several generations of lenses, so there should be all sorts of options on the used market.
08-16-2010, 12:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster

and how to deal with your dented filter thread... this is going to require some lens disassembly, on the K version of the SMCP-K 50mm f/1.2 there is a silver ring at the end of the focusing ring, press down on it and turn it counter clockwise. set the lens's focus to 0.45 and you will see three screws just above the focusing helicoid these screws attach the filter thread to the lens, turn them counter clockwise and you should be able to remove the filter thread and adjust it without running the risk of a pliers/ front element collusion to your 50mm f/1.2.

I hope this helps.I often have to tighten these three screws because the filter thread on my 50mm f/1.2 keeps becomes loose from time to time.
So doing the above wont run the risk of me possibly getting dust in the lens or other similar issues? Im not sure I quite trust myself unless all it does is affect the filter ring.

QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
If you're going that route, consider purchasing a broken/beat up/fungus ridden K55/2, they're relatively cheap. You should be able to replace the lens thread with the one from the K55/2.
QuoteOriginally posted by future_retro Quote
52mm clip on lens hood

it looks like Nikon makes a 52mm diameter snap on circular hood for a 50mm f/1.2, there's also some pedal shaped ones on that list
So I can simply swap them?

That link is exactly what I was looking for by the way! VERY expensive, but that Nikon hood meant for their 50mm F/1.2 seems to be about perfect.

QuoteOriginally posted by Steinback Quote
Look at hoods from other manufacturers. I think that Canon and Nikon both used 52mm as the front thread on several generations of lenses, so there should be all sorts of options on the used market.
Nothing on ebay when searching clip on hoods. Specific hoods like the HS-12 however....

edit: Actually it looks like the part that clips on to the filter ring is rather huge and considering the size of the dent, I don't think that will fit (in regards to the HS-12).

Last edited by yeatzee; 08-16-2010 at 12:42 AM.
08-16-2010, 01:12 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

"So doing the above wont run the risk of me possibly getting dust in the lens or other similar issues? Im not sure I quite trust myself unless all it does is affect the filter ring."

no-you won't. The lens elements themselves are held together my far more than just three screws. All this does is let you remove the filter thread barrel. It will expose the helicoid somewhat but that might come in handy if you ever need to lubricate it.
08-16-2010, 02:59 AM   #9
Veteran Member

One more thing,
you could try to get the filter thread in shape just so a step ring could be kind of forced into it. Let's say you are putting a 52>55mm stepring onto your lens and let it stay there permanently. Got to do it with the stepring attached to something more solid, which you can grab (e.g. a hood).
Be careful,
Georg
08-16-2010, 06:18 AM   #10

I'm trying to open my K 50mm 1.2 too to clean up some fungus, but so far I'm unable to open it both from the front and from the back. This silver ring, it's very thin, I couldn't get a firm grip of it, is there any special trick?
08-16-2010, 06:55 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

If you are shooting with a DLSR, look for a Nikon hood for the 85/1.8. It should be very effective.
This is presuming you can get your filter ring straightened out enough to let the lens take a screw in attachment.
08-16-2010, 06:59 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

it isn't just that silver ring I'll post a few pics describing the disassembly required to fix yeatzee's problem.

"I'm trying to open my K 50mm 1.2 too to clean up some fungus, but so far I'm unable to open it both from the front and from the back."

yikes, I strongly advise that you be careful, not only is the SMCP 50mm f/1.2 built like a tank it is put together like one. There are at least 27 screws you will need to undo in order to completely disassemble a Pentax-K 50mm f/1.2. I hope you have advanced knowledge of lens assembly because that lens is extremely difficult to pull apart.

I figured out how to get my pentax AF160FC ringflash to work on my D3 with the Micro Nikkor AF-S 105mm f/2.8G VR

Last edited by Digitalis; 05-20-2011 at 11:48 PM.
08-16-2010, 07:24 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would go with the original Pentax 52mm round standard lens hood. They are easy to find on eBay and usually sell between $10-20.00. One sold on eBay last week with case, for around $17.00. Just make sure you verify the filter thread on the back of the hood is 52mm before you buy one, most sellers forget to mention this. (There is also a 49mm version)
If you can clip on your lens cap, then the round hood may also work without fixing the dent.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/84876-guide-pentax-k...ens-hoods.html

Phil.
08-16-2010, 07:51 AM   #14

it isn't just that silver ring I'll post a few pics describing the disassembly required to fix yeatzee's problem.

yikes, I strongly advise that you be careful, not only is the SMCP 50mm f/1.2 built like a tank it is put together like one. There are at least 27 screws you will need to undo in order to completely disassemble a Pentax-K 50mm f/1.2. I hope you have advanced knowledge of lens assembly because that lens is extremely difficult to pull apart.
Ah, I see it now. Thanks a lot for the explanation and the pics. I still couldn't get a good grip though, the surface is very smooth. I give up I don't really have advanced knowledge, just have some experience opening a couple of old lenses, but nothing like this tank
Anyhow the fungus seems to be on the rear elements, I don't suppose there's any way to open it from the rear side? I tried to unscrew the mount but there's nothing else I can do after that. I thought I could just use a lens spanner to unscrew the rear group, but I'm out of luck.

My copy is a little soft compare to what I've seen in "F1.2 club thread" and also compare to my converted Canon FL 55 1.2. I figured this might have something to do with the fungi, that's why I really want to clean it and get rid the Canon which is sharper but can't focus more than 3 meter.
08-16-2010, 10:03 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
"So doing the above wont run the risk of me possibly getting dust in the lens or other similar issues? Im not sure I quite trust myself unless all it does is affect the filter ring."

no-you won't. The lens elements themselves are held together my far more than just three screws. All this does is let you remove the filter thread barrel. It will expose the helicoid somewhat but that might come in handy if you ever need to lubricate it.
Alright, I think I will give it a try later today Once its off, how would you suggest I straighten it?

QuoteOriginally posted by georgweb Quote
One more thing,
you could try to get the filter thread in shape just so a step ring could be kind of forced into it. Let's say you are putting a 52>55mm stepring onto your lens and let it stay there permanently. Got to do it with the stepring attached to something more solid, which you can grab (e.g. a hood).
Be careful,
Georg
Its not really dented, more like folded inwards on side
If I can find cheaper hoods for 55mm than I'll consider using a setup up ring, assuming I can straighten out the filter ring.

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
If you are shooting with a DLSR, look for a Nikon hood for the 85/1.8. It should be very effective.
This is presuming you can get your filter ring straightened out enough to let the lens take a screw in attachment.
Yes I am, and this is exactly what I was planning on doing if I could find a clip on hood for an 85mm with a filter ring of 52mm (no). I use the Pentax clip on hood for the M 85mm/100mm on my other 50's to great affect

QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
I would go with the original Pentax 52mm round standard lens hood. They are easy to find on eBay and usually sell between $10-20.00. One sold on eBay last week with case, for around $17.00. Just make sure you verify the filter thread on the back of the hood is 52mm before you buy one, most sellers forget to mention this. (There is also a 49mm version)
If you can clip on your lens cap, then the round hood may also work without fixing the dent.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/84876-guide-pentax-k...ens-hoods.html

Phil.
I know you shoot film, so this differs a bit. I want a longer hood than what was originally made for a 50mm. Like wheatfield said, in reality I want an 85mm hood.