Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2010, 10:59 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bizarre AF Lens?

Anybody ever run across something like this? Is it a 3 party lens designed for an ME-F?
AUTO FOCUS 50MM 2.0 PENTAX K SERIES LENS - eBay (item 320577339072 end time Sep-16-10 09:25:01 PDT)

08-17-2010, 11:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's likely to not fit on DSLRs thanks to the mirror prism.
08-17-2010, 11:18 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Looks more like an Auto 110 lens to me...who knows!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-17-2010, 12:49 PM   #4

Wow that's a blast from the past. I have never seen that particular one but there were several lenses like this knocking around in the early 80s. I think Richo had a couple of them. It could fit any K fitting camera .They work in the same way as early AF compact cameras did. I think the system was called passive infra-red.
It focused by sending a infra-red beam out, all the focus mechanism is in the black box above the lens.. It worked fine for simple compact lenses but was extremely slow for 35mm SLRs. The image quality was as good as the lens it was based on, but were generally considered a total wast of time.
It may be worth getting for the curiosity value.

08-17-2010, 01:42 PM   #5
Site Supporter

It is the Ricoh AF lens rebadged as Sears. It was one of the first AF designs and I remember when it was originally marketed. I don't remember anything more about it and nothing really came up on Google.

Steve
08-17-2010, 02:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Here it is one made by pentax. See it here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/106606-sale-m...-85-210mm.html

It look bizarred but it works. I never had the opportunity to use one. Maybe someone has. Anybody have input about lenses like this?
08-17-2010, 02:20 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jjdgti Quote
Here it is one made by pentax. See it here:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/106606-sale-m...-85-210mm.html

It look bizarred but it works. I never had the opportunity to use one. Maybe someone has. Anybody have input about lenses like this?
I have seen the AF 35-70 before. The AF only works with the ME-F though doesn't it.
Will the Ricoh lens theoretically AF on any K-mount body that will allow the lens to mount?
08-18-2010, 07:22 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That's right. The ME F had a TTL AF system, however. The lens has its own motor, but the focus sensor is in the camera. Thus, the ME F may provide AF check with MF lenses.

It should work in theory but, as mentioned earlier in the thread, will not fit DSLRs. Could be fun to try with a K-adapter and a mirrorless camera, though.