Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-17-2010, 11:56 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
M42, Zeiss or Pentax?

I recently acquired a genuine M42 adapter for my K10D

I was going to buy a Zeiss Tessar 50mm because I've heard amazing things about the lens, and the zeiss club is making me want it

But then I heard one of the Pentax Takumar 50mm's being one of the best 50mm's ever.

So which should I get? Which would be better quality and bokeh wise?

08-17-2010, 12:10 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Both, then you will have the best according to each world :-)
08-17-2010, 12:17 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you looked in the Zeiss club, you should also look in the Takumar club
08-17-2010, 12:39 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bart Quote
If you looked in the Zeiss club, you should also look in the Takumar club

Thanks!

I checked out the exclusive gallery. The SMC takumar 1.4 didnt look good at all, yet the older super takumar 1.4 blew me away!

I would get both lenes, yet unfortunately I work retail and I dont have much money

So how about it, Tessar or Takumar?

08-18-2010, 12:08 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Prox-iee Quote
Thanks!

I checked out the exclusive gallery. The SMC takumar 1.4 didnt look good at all, yet the older super takumar 1.4 blew me away!

I would get both lenes, yet unfortunately I work retail and I dont have much money

So how about it, Tessar or Takumar?
The super takumar 50 1.4 was my main lens for 30+ years on film. I still think it is very good and stands up well against the better liked present day lenses.
Unfortunately, I have no personal experience with the Tessar. So, I miss a side of the equation to give you a sound advise.

I do find - but that goes for both - that the field of view you get from a 50mm, is not all that useful on APS-C (75mm equivallent) but that's because I don't shoot portraits.

PS the SMC takumar is usually judged a notch better than the super takumar by people who have used both (hence not me).
When you look at pictures by different people and come to a different conclusion, it might have something to do with the "person" factor: the photographer.
08-18-2010, 12:23 AM   #6

If you are after a great fast fifty, go with the Takumar. The Tessar, although a good lens in its own right, doesn't cut it. It's quite nice when you're after something different but not a lens for every day. You can also get the tessar dirt cheap, try searching for some Praktica cameras, many of them have a Tessar attached.
08-18-2010, 12:25 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I would say for the K10D and your style of photography (had a look in your gallery) I would give the Asahi/Pentax 1.8/55 a try (any model).

Now that you have that M42 adapter there's just a ton of nice lenses to put on.
If you are on a budget but have some patience, the easiest is the following: Look out for old 35mm film cameras in pawn shops, flea markets or the electronic flea markets. If you can get old east german cameras like Praktica (except the newer B-models with bayonet), Exa 1b or c, or the very old Contax SLR, you have an excellent chance that there is a 2.8/50 Tessar on it. Should cost you less than the lens alone.

The 2.8/50 Tessar is just a Tessar. That is 4 elements (greek: tessa=4) with the 2 back elements glued together (displayed in the old Zeiss logo).
Almost any 2.8/50 lens will have this design. Of these in M42, I really like the Industar 61LZ. Very funny lens is its slower Tessar brother, the Industar 3.5/50.

You will find both of the Industars on old Zenith cameras (M42 SLRs). And finally, you will find on most Zenith cameras the M42 Helios 44 M ... and that is the lens you should really get imo (that's a multicoated Zeiss Biotar). It's a 58/2.0 double Gauss design and one of THE portrait lenses on film and digital.

Different models and factory logos: Mother Biotar and her soviet daughters (all @f/4)

Cheers, Georg

Last edited by georgweb; 08-18-2010 at 12:31 AM.