Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2010, 06:39 AM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by paugie Quote
Use both extensively for 2 weeks, then decide for yourself.

Having said that, I had the 35-105 for a while and it deserves its reputation. The problem was my eyesight. Torn left retina/cataract on the right. Hard to manual focus.

You might find you have some idiosyncracy which would pull you toward anyone of those. And you won't find out until you actually use both for a while.
Try both lenses. Take some great pics of your wife and show her that both lenses are worth keeping. Since you got it for next to nothing, tell her that it is an investment. Tell her that if you do not use them often, you will sell one for profit later on. There is not such thing as too many lenses (like there is not such thing as too many shoes for a woman).

08-18-2010, 08:22 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Unfortunately I wasn't online last night to reply to any of this so I'll take a stab at it now.

hangu said
"This whole situation is incredibly stupid. I'm sure you have lenses that are inferior to the two you just got. It's not like she knows the difference between each."

Unfortunately for me, although I do have lenses that could be considered 'Inferior' I don't have any that I am willing to part with since the 'Inferior' lenses are very good at doing what I use them to do. I have a Kiron 80-200 f4.5 with zoom lock, that many would consider to be inferior. I find it to be a great lens with the most amazing silky smooth bokah I have ever seen. It's great for framing the subject. I thought maybe the 135mm could replace the Kiron, but after playing around with it Sunday, I found the bokah to be a little too harsh for my taste. Honestly though, I haven’t spent enough time messing around with it to make my final verdict. My other lenses all have their place, and even my 50mm f2 has it’s uses. All my crap lenses fell by the wayside long ago. Sold, lost, or given away. Now I have just the ones I actually use and that produce good images.

I haven’t played around with the 35-105 yet, but I'll give it a go and some serious consideration this weekend (weather permitting).

I have to say that the consensus here thus far has me leaning toward the 35-105. The 135 may be a prime, but no one has put forth a convincing argument as to why it is a good lens. In my experience, a prime is a prime is a prime does not always ring true. They are not always sharper nor do they always produce better color, contrast, bokah, or IQ in general. There are some that are great, there are some that are phenomenal, there are some that are mediocre, and then there are a few that just plain suck. The question truly is, how does the 135 stack up to the 35-105 in IQ overall. From those that have both, or have used both, the basic opinion is that the 35-105 is better.

I appreciate all the great input and advice. Thanks for the marital advice as well. My wife does have a fair amount of shoes, so I could always point that out to her. I will probably keep them both (and the wife) for a while and see for myself which I like better. Not to mention which one I think I will use more.
09-08-2010, 11:57 AM   #18

Original Poster
For anyone who was interested enough with my plight to care about what my final decision is; after a few weeks of playing around with both the 135mm and the 35-105mm, I've decided to keep both of them. My wife has either given up or stopped caring about my LBA and at this point doesn't even stop to wonder how many lenses I own. So that problem is solved at least.

Both of these lenses are amazing at what they do. The 135mm is incredibly sharp when dialed in. The images almost 'pop' out of the screen. The 35-105mm is also incredibly sharp and has some of the best color rendition I've ever seen. I admit that the 35-105mm is my favorite of the two, but I'm keeping the 135mm around for those situations that suit it best. If only the 135 had macro focusing, it would be my favorite lens.

As of now there are only two lenses I carry around in my "small" bag, the DA 18-55mm and the A 35-105mm. Having the 35-105mm is like having a small stack of prime lenses with me everywhere I go. I can't be happier with a lens then I am with this one right now.
09-08-2010, 12:07 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Damian Quote
I can't be happier with a lens then I am with this one right now.
You have to understand that "happy" counts as a plus-10 multiplier factor in LBA.

If you want extra points with the Godess-of-Shoes, offer to sell the 50/2.0 and the Kiron 80-200 as you'll find the accumulated "credit" more useful than either of those the next time LBA strikes.

H2

09-08-2010, 12:54 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is an excellent reason why my mom always used to say "never pass up a yard sale". They're mostly a waste of time until you find something that you really wanted.
09-09-2010, 07:06 AM   #21

Original Poster
Yes, I'll probably say goodbye to the Kiron 80-200mm. Not that I don't like it, just that the Kiron 28-210 is just as good with a wider focal range. As for the 50mm f2, I'll probably sell it, but I honestly kinda like it and it takes up almost no room in the camera bag. Of coarse, neither does the 50mm f1.7. The 50 f2 is one of those lenses that i can put on or carry with me and just not worry about, because if I mess it up somehow, i can just get another one for anywhere from $25 to $40. That and I actually get pretty decent results with it.

Definitly never pass up a yard sale or a flea market for that matter. You never know what you might find at ridiculously low prices.
09-09-2010, 09:52 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Play the 50/F2 card

"Tell ya what, Dear. I'll sell this "newer" lens with the larger number (50/2) and just try to be be happy with an "earlier version" with a little number (50/1.2)."

H2

Well, it's worth a try anyway.

09-09-2010, 10:02 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Damian Quote
For anyone who was interested enough with my plight to care about what my final decision is; after a few weeks of playing around with both the 135mm and the 35-105mm, I've decided to keep both of them. My wife has either given up or stopped caring about my LBA and at this point doesn't even stop to wonder how many lenses I own. So that problem is solved at least.

Both of these lenses are amazing at what they do. The 135mm is incredibly sharp when dialed in. The images almost 'pop' out of the screen. The 35-105mm is also incredibly sharp and has some of the best color rendition I've ever seen. I admit that the 35-105mm is my favorite of the two, but I'm keeping the 135mm around for those situations that suit it best. If only the 135 had macro focusing, it would be my favorite lens.

As of now there are only two lenses I carry around in my "small" bag, the DA 18-55mm and the A 35-105mm. Having the 35-105mm is like having a small stack of prime lenses with me everywhere I go. I can't be happier with a lens then I am with this one right now.
What'd I say?
09-10-2010, 10:07 AM   #24

Original Poster
hangu, you were right. Though it's definitely not really that possible to compare the two lenses, considering how different they are. If someone was pointing a gun at my head and told me I had to pick one to keep, it would be the 35-105 just because I find it more useful. That being said, the 135 is a great lens too, just that right now I only find a use for it now and again.