Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2010, 02:04 PM   #1
Senior Member
Damian's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: United States
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 267
Recent Acquisition

I need a little help deciding what to do with some lenses I recently picked up at the local Flea Market. I won't tell you how little I spent because it will probably make you sick. I picked up an SMC Pentax-A 135mm F2.8 and an SMC Pentax-A 35-105mm F3.5 Zoom lens w/ Macro.
Now, regardless of the fact that I paid next to nothing for the pair, my wife is starting to get a little annoyed with my compulsive lens collecting tendencies so Iíve decided I should probably get rid of one to appease her. So the question is which one is better? Iíve read the reviews and they are both regarded as good lenses, with maybe the Zoom being regarded as a little bit better. That being said itís hard to compare a zoom to a prime. Iím not sure which I will use more. Since I already have a Pentax DA L 50-200 Zoom lens that will cover the entire focal length of the lenses I purchased, Iím not sure if I need the zoom and will get more use out of the prime. Though, I could see myself putting the zoom on the camera and using it quite often if the IQ is good.


So basically, ask yourself, "If I could have ONE of these lenses, which one would I want?"


Suggestions


Last edited by Damian; 08-17-2010 at 03:11 PM.
08-17-2010, 02:18 PM   #2
Site Supporter
boriscleto's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Liverpool, NY
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 12,478
Nice finds. Keep them both, dump the wife. In the long run it will be cheaper and you will live longer.
08-17-2010, 03:09 PM   #3
Senior Member
Damian's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: United States
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 267
Original Poster
Well, (fortunately and unfortunately) dumping the wife is not an option. There are offspring involved that would really be bummed that Daddy wasn't around as much anymore. Not to mention I would loose half my stuff, including half my Pentax gear, and that is just not a pleasant thought.

So anyway, would you say they are both worth keeping then? Maybe I should consider sacrificing one of my other lenses, but that's not what this thread was supposed to be about. If you had to choose one, which would it be? I'm still mulling it over.

Thanks,
08-17-2010, 03:15 PM   #4
Pentaxian
mattb123's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Colorado High Country
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 7,245
I'd keep the prime. If you already have a zoom that covers that range then your newly acquired zoom wouldn't much more. A prime on the other hand makes a different looking image a lot of the time. You'd be getting more of what you don't already have with the prime IMO.

08-17-2010, 03:15 PM   #5
Pentaxian
bdery's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec city, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,695
I'd definitely keep the 135. faster, and extremely well regarded.
08-17-2010, 03:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NYC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,071
This whole situation is incredibly stupid. I'm sure you have lenses that are inferior to the two you just got. It's not like she knows the difference between each.


Bdery and Mattb, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the 35-105mm. Have either of you ever used it?
08-17-2010, 03:28 PM   #7
Pentaxian
mattb123's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Colorado High Country
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 7,245
QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
This whole situation is incredibly stupid. I'm sure you have lenses that are inferior to the two you just got. It's not like she knows the difference between each.


Bdery and Mattb, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the 35-105mm. Have either of you ever used it?
Nope, and I definitely have "prime bias" so take my advice with that in mind. But your first point is a really good one.

Don't you have a crappy old TC laying around that could be unloaded?
08-17-2010, 03:38 PM   #8
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NYC
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,071
The A35-105 is incredibly sharp. In fact, it's sharper than many of my best prime lenses. It also renders saturated blues and reds like no other lens. Its only downsides are the relatively slow aperture at f3.5 and its heft. You'd be an absolute fool to part with that lens.

08-17-2010, 08:52 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
imtheguy's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Virginia Beach
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,950
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Nice finds. Keep them both, dump the wife. In the long run it will be cheaper and you will live longer.
I am not sure about stats for longevity of male photogs but am quite sure stats show married men live longer than single. Com'on man, you know that.

As far as cheaper, well you nailed that one. Batting .500 today.
08-17-2010, 10:39 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
pacerr's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Henry, TN
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,874
Nope, this is where ya wanna play the card "Oh, it's just a harmless, stress-relieving hobby, dear. An' see how inexpensive it is."

And doesn't she "collect" something you can use for leverage and comparison?

Win this one and it sets a precedent for future acquisitions you REALLY won't want to talk about!

H2
08-17-2010, 11:55 PM   #11
Pentaxian
Transit's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Whanganui NZ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,962
Maybe she'd prefer you drank, womanised or even played golf ?

Pete
08-18-2010, 12:34 AM   #12
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Michigan, USA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7,485
QuoteOriginally posted by Damian Quote
I need a little help deciding what to do with some lenses I recently picked up at the local Flea Market. I won't tell you how little I spent because it will probably make you sick. I picked up an SMC Pentax-A 135mm F2.8 and an SMC Pentax-A 35-105mm F3.5 Zoom lens w/ Macro.
Now, regardless of the fact that I paid next to nothing for the pair, my wife is starting to get a little annoyed with my compulsive lens collecting tendencies so Iíve decided I should probably get rid of one to appease her. So the question is which one is better? Iíve read the reviews and they are both regarded as good lenses, with maybe the Zoom being regarded as a little bit better. That being said itís hard to compare a zoom to a prime. Iím not sure which I will use more. Since I already have a Pentax DA L 50-200 Zoom lens that will cover the entire focal length of the lenses I purchased, Iím not sure if I need the zoom and will get more use out of the prime. Though, I could see myself putting the zoom on the camera and using it quite often if the IQ is good.


So basically, ask yourself, "If I could have ONE of these lenses, which one would I want?"


Suggestions
This is one of the FEW times you'll hear me say this. Keep the Zoom. The A135 f2.8 is a nice lens but the 35-105 is one of those Special lenses IMO. Many of the A Pentax (or even M) fall short if you ask me but that isn't one of them. Yes, I do have both (but no wife ).

That said, why don't you make some portraits of her with both lenses and show her how each flatters her beauty?

08-18-2010, 05:27 AM   #13
Pentaxian
bdery's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Quebec city, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,695
QuoteQuote:
Bdery and Mattb, I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss the 35-105mm. Have either of you ever used it?
Yep, actually, once. Never used the 135, though I used other 135s. That was just my opinion, what I would do. I wouldn't use the zoom since I have lenses covering that range (roughly) but a prime is a prime is a prime
08-18-2010, 05:57 AM   #14
Pentaxian
Arjay Bee's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Bamaga, QLD
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,967
Keep both lenses:
Once you get to a certain threshold number of lenses adding a few more won't raise any concern. The sooner you reach that number the sooner the household becomes peaceful.
My wife enjoys a certain range of cosmetics that cost per bottle about the same amount as a Super Takumar lens.
We both have a collection of heavy tubes made with a lot of glass that each please us in different ways. I don't tend to count her collection and she doesn't tend to count mine.
08-18-2010, 06:04 AM   #15
Senior Member
paugie's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Quezon City, Philippines
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 165
Use both extensively for 2 weeks, then decide for yourself.

Having said that, I had the 35-105 for a while and it deserves its reputation. The problem was my eyesight. Torn left retina/cataract on the right. Hard to manual focus.

You might find you have some idiosyncracy which would pull you toward anyone of those. And you won't find out until you actually use both for a while.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-mount, lens, lenses, pentax lens, pentax-a, prime, slr lens, smc
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Your latest acquisition Perrumpo General Talk 9756 4 Hours Ago 02:57 PM
recent acquisition [pics + question] irishwhite Pentax Film SLR Discussion 19 03-09-2010 08:59 AM
DA 55-300mm F4-F5.8 - New acquisition! legacyb4 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 35 09-27-2009 03:13 PM
Suggestions on flash acquisition Whatabirdie Pentax DSLR Discussion 1 06-23-2008 07:41 PM
Lens Acquisition KFrog Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 11 01-23-2007 08:18 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:34 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top