Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2010, 05:21 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I was in the exact same situation as you were. I have a sigma 17-70 and wanted a lighter, WR option for hiking, snowshoeing, etc. I got the 18-55 WR (for 110$ here in the marketplace, new from a KX kit).

The lens is excellent. Really. It is well manufactured, well assembled, looks great, and is very light. It's also very reliable optically. Contrasts are harsher than with my other lenses (less subtle transitions, I'd say) but that doesn't mean it's bad, far from it. Colours are well saturated, typically Pentax, it is sharp enough (though the Sigma and my primes are sharper), exposure is reliable, it focuses faster than I would have expected. I'm pleasantly surprised, honestly. It's the same, optically, as the kit v2.

230$ seems steep. I really suggest you buy from the marketplace, you can request image samples if you worry about quality. I know I'll be keeping mine, it fits with my lifestyle, even though it doesn't replace the Sigma.

EDIT : Anyone saying a WR lens is not useful does not live the kind of life I live. For me it's just as useful as any other lens in my kit. Each has its uses, the WR kit among them.

08-18-2010, 06:09 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
When it's light drizzling, there shouldn't be any problem using the DA1770. When there is a heavy rain, well, better keep away from the rain anyway, no matter which lens you are using

Here in Singapore we got rains in over 200 days out of 365 I think, but most guys don't have WR lens or camera.
I see you got the monsoons there as well. I dunno how frequent or the intensity of the rain is there, but here it rains continuously for the entire day. so there's no assurance when the skies will clear up during the monsoon season.
08-18-2010, 09:19 AM   #18

Original Poster
Thanks to all

did not realize I would get so many responses back so quickly.

I have been debating about the new lens and to get people selling it from their broken up kit packages. Surprised that it is selling for so cheap in the forums. I'd jump on it if it were $99.00 US or w.h.y.

I guess it is a bit of luck of the draw in terms of getting a good copy, the only positive about getting it new is that you can return it if there is an issue.

will see where this goes. THanks to everyone for your feedback and comments.

-C
08-18-2010, 11:46 PM   #19
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by cornellra Quote
Hi all,

I am in process of looking for an 18-55 WR to use for taking shots of the little one when out and about at the waterpark, beach etc. As they are ~230$+ taxes new here in canada, wondering what the risks would be to get one of these used.

I have heard that the 18-55 WR is not as sharp as the 18-55mm Ver 2 of the lens. While I find that hard to believe, I would like to get confirmation that this is the case for those who actually have used the lens.

I do print, typically between 4x6 up to 8x10, so image quality is important. While I am not an expert photographer, I believe I can hold my own when it comes to portrait, and situational photos. Softness is typically not an issue for me unless it is blatantly obvious in the corners, or in one corner etc... I would stop down typically to F7.1/8.0 as I would be in brighter spots.

While my DA17-70 would then sit idle in the corner, I do not want to risk any leakage into the lens body itself, regardless of the seal that exists at the mount....
The WR 18-55 is easily capable of very nice 8x10 prints. I make fine 12x18 prints from shots made with it at mid apertures.

I use mine a lot in wet weather, the major example being a really excellent storm at Uclulet last winter. Horizontal salt spray. I used a mcrofibre cloth for wiping the front element, whch got covered with spray every few seconds. I just ran tap water over the body and lens afterwards to get the salt off.

The hood is fairly useful for keeping droplets off the front element if the wind isn't too strong.

John

08-19-2010, 06:05 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by John Poirier Quote
The WR 18-55 is easily capable of very nice 8x10 prints. I make fine 12x18 prints from shots made with it at mid apertures.

John
I'd say that is a pretty conservative estimate of that lens. I can make a nice 8x10 from a P & S.
08-19-2010, 07:19 AM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
I'd say that is a pretty conservative estimate of that lens. I can make a nice 8x10 from a P & S.
Yep. That's conservative. I'm allowing a significant fudge facotr for operator skills.

I've done a fair number of shots with it that could go to 24 inches across with high enough quality that I'd be comfortable offering them to an art gallery. That's the upper limit, though.

John
08-25-2010, 11:23 AM   #22

Original Poster
Thanks again to all your feedback. Still on the fence right now but managed to get a line on one of these for fairly cheap!

Had limited funds as I just picked up a Panasonic LX5 to replace my aging P6000.

-Cornell
08-25-2010, 11:40 AM   #23
Inactive Account

I just picked one up for almost the same reason, just wanted a sealed lens on my backup K20D which I tend to carry everywhere (when I don't have my larger bag with lenses and K-7 in it). I got it for $140CAD brand new off e-bay with some accessories (unnecessary but in there anyway) like a cleaning kit, filter kit, etc.