Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-17-2010, 03:48 PM   #1

18-55mm WR performance

Hi all,

I am in process of looking for an 18-55 WR to use for taking shots of the little one when out and about at the waterpark, beach etc. As they are ~230$+ taxes new here in canada, wondering what the risks would be to get one of these used.

I have heard that the 18-55 WR is not as sharp as the 18-55mm Ver 2 of the lens. While I find that hard to believe, I would like to get confirmation that this is the case for those who actually have used the lens.

I do print, typically between 4x6 up to 8x10, so image quality is important. While I am not an expert photographer, I believe I can hold my own when it comes to portrait, and situational photos. Softness is typically not an issue for me unless it is blatantly obvious in the corners, or in one corner etc... I would stop down typically to F7.1/8.0 as I would be in brighter spots.

While my DA17-70 would then sit idle in the corner, I do not want to risk any leakage into the lens body itself, regardless of the seal that exists at the mount....

08-17-2010, 03:57 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I sold mine practically new for $160 a year ago, so I'm sure you'll be able to find one in our pentax marketplace for a lot less than $230 canadian.

SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL II Lens Reviews - Pentax Lens Review Database
SMC Pentax-DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR Lens Reviews - Pentax Lens Review Database

The regular kit lens II does score higher than the WR version according to the lens reviews, but I was under the impression that the two were the same optically. Maybe it depends on whether or not your WR is covered in dust or not

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-17-2010, 04:08 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I guys,

I have this lens and I really like it. Here is a sample.

Macro | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Hope it helps
08-17-2010, 04:15 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks Adam.

i agree. I have seen some used ones locally for 140-160 but was concerned if people have been experiencing bad copies etc. The 230$ price tag is how much it costs new here in Vancouver.

If I did not have to, i would just use what I have but do not want to put my 17-70 at risk. =)

I've seen the reviews and It hink that was what triggered this thread.

08-17-2010, 06:29 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
I really prefer to shoot with primes, but I bought both the 18-55 WR and the 50-200 WR because of the sealing. If it's not raining or snowing, at the wide end I'll reach for the 21 Limited or DA 16-45. The 18-55 WR isn't as good (but my copy is in no way bad), as either of the above, but I have stood in snowstorms and torrential rain with it mounted on my K10D happily shooting away. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'd rather be able to make a picture than no picture at all. Not risking your 17-70 is a sound long term strategy.
08-17-2010, 06:54 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
how about new for 99.95 USD w/free shipping?:

Pentax SMC DA 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 AL WR Zoom Lens
08-17-2010, 07:14 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I just picked up a dirt-cheap and 'disposable' manual-focus 28-70 f/3.5-4.5 for extreme-weather outings; we'll see how it performs. I also see an up side to preserving my 16-45 and 55-300 for more benign conditions!

08-17-2010, 08:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cornellra Quote
Hi all,

I am in process of looking for an 18-55 WR to use for taking shots of the little one when out and about at the waterpark, beach etc. As they are ~230$+ taxes new here in canada, wondering what the risks would be to get one of these used.

I have heard that the 18-55 WR is not as sharp as the 18-55mm Ver 2 of the lens. While I find that hard to believe, I would like to get confirmation that this is the case for those who actually have used the lens.

I do print, typically between 4x6 up to 8x10, so image quality is important. While I am not an expert photographer, I believe I can hold my own when it comes to portrait, and situational photos. Softness is typically not an issue for me unless it is blatantly obvious in the corners, or in one corner etc... I would stop down typically to F7.1/8.0 as I would be in brighter spots.

While my DA17-70 would then sit idle in the corner, I do not want to risk any leakage into the lens body itself, regardless of the seal that exists at the mount....

since we are from the same place, if you are interested, I can let you try out my copy and see if it works for you.
08-17-2010, 08:34 PM   #9

I'm not sure what import fees are like shipping from US to canada. But, I'm selling mine right now in the FS/T section. Definitely way under $230 CAD. I was under the impression the WR and the II versions were the same optically as well. But I guess I'm not sure.
08-17-2010, 08:39 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ManhattanProject Quote
I'm not sure what import fees are like shipping from US to canada. But, I'm selling mine right now in the FS/T section. Definitely way under $230 CAD. I was under the impression the WR and the II versions were the same optically as well. But I guess I'm not sure.
There are no import fees if you ship by air. Avoid UPS ground at all cost. Stick with USPS priority.
08-17-2010, 08:53 PM   #11
Veteran Member

we just recently have the HST which had definitely affected import tax duties significantly. the shipping is not yet included which is around $20 via USPS. and I think it's a cardinal rule already that UPS should be avoided at all cost. shipping options should be from EMS, USPS, FEDEX, DHL.
08-17-2010, 10:24 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Since you already have the DA1770, why bother getting another kit lens? Dust or whatever out there is unavoidable, just enjoy using it instead it leaving it idling. It's not a very expensive lens or something you can't find anymore.
08-17-2010, 10:31 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by frank Quote
Since you already have the DA1770, why bother getting another kit lens? Dust or whatever out there is unavoidable, just enjoy using it instead it leaving it idling. It's not a very expensive lens or something you can't find anymore.
frank, dust here is not a concern. the concern here is that it pours a lot for more than half of the year. although honestly, this year, we got the better end of the weather compared to our east coast counterparts which have a dreadful rain-drenched and stormy summer season.
08-18-2010, 12:44 AM   #14
Inactive Account

1A_Compare 28 to kit lens - a set on Flickr

I don't know if it's the same lens but you can look at the above set and see for yourself. My K7 Kit lens actually does a pretty fair job. Not as nice as my DA*16-50 but I would hope that would be the case.. Just look at the photo title to see the ones taken with the Kit WR lens. The others in the set were taken with a Pentax A 28mm f2.8.

08-18-2010, 02:50 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
frank, dust here is not a concern. the concern here is that it pours a lot for more than half of the year. although honestly, this year, we got the better end of the weather compared to our east coast counterparts which have a dreadful rain-drenched and stormy summer season.
When it's light drizzling, there shouldn't be any problem using the DA1770. When there is a heavy rain, well, better keep away from the rain anyway, no matter which lens you are using

Here in Singapore we got rains in over 200 days out of 365 I think, but most guys don't have WR lens or camera.