Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2010, 05:16 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Outbid on smc m42 24mm!!

Recently I came across a Takumar SMC M42 24mm lens with case caps,hood & case.
It was local, so I actually went to see it. Almost mint externally...looked at the glass...had a "film"all over it....thought it was fungus, but with the old breath on lens trick & a bit of micro fibre...all was clear. So everything was in good shape.
I was interested, but not that interested, if you know what I mean....so I bid to $256 Aus, ie $230 US, & was outbid...I was away from home at the time, so couldn't increase my bid....but probably wouldn't have even if I could have.
However, the 24mm SMC with hood, in, I would say, at least an 8 out of 10, is reasonably rare, so I reckon the buyer got a reasonably cheap lens at $230 US.
What do you guys think?
Cheers, Pickles.

08-18-2010, 06:43 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you talking about the 24mm F3.5? That sounds quite expensive for that lens...S-M-C/Super Takumar 24mm F3.5 Lens Reviews - Pentax Lens Review Database

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-18-2010, 09:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Seems in line with prices nowadays. Sadly alot of the old lenses are commanding quite a premium nowadays. (too much so I must say)
08-18-2010, 10:28 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Are you talking about the 24mm F3.5? That sounds quite expensive for that lens...S-M-C/Super Takumar 24mm F3.5 Lens Reviews - Pentax Lens Review Database
Yes, that is the one. The item I was looking at had no visible wear on the barrel, & the hood & cases etc were all in virtually unmarked condition.
I have examined the prices that are listed on the forum, & note that they are a couple of years old, also I don't know the condition of them, & whether they were purchased with caps, hood (somewhat rare) & case.
My recent experiences tell me that, in hindsight, perhaps I should have gone a bit higher! Still, there's always another?
Cheers, Pickles.

08-18-2010, 11:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Picked up one of them in very nice condition for $150 AUD in a little camera shop I visit in Melbourne's CBD. The place is called Peony Gardens and in Little Lonsdale Street.
08-19-2010, 01:44 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by xjjohnno Quote
Picked up one of them in very nice condition for $150 AUD in a little camera shop I visit in Melbourne's CBD. The place is called Peony Gardens and in Little Lonsdale Street.
I've heard of that place.....whereabouts in Lt. Lonsdale St?
Cheers, Pickles.
08-19-2010, 08:30 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pickles Quote
Yes, that is the one. The item I was looking at had no visible wear on the barrel, & the hood & cases etc were all in virtually unmarked condition.
I have examined the prices that are listed on the forum, & note that they are a couple of years old, also I don't know the condition of them, & whether they were purchased with caps, hood (somewhat rare) & case.
My recent experiences tell me that, in hindsight, perhaps I should have gone a bit higher! Still, there's always another?
Cheers, Pickles.
The same holds true for the K24/3.5, which has the same optical design as the Takumar version. The prices have gone up and to find one with the lens case, lens hood & lens hood case would be almost impossible at any price.

Phil.
08-19-2010, 12:35 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Pickles, it's between Elizabeth and Swanston Street. Open between 1-2PM weekdays.