Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2010, 09:39 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax FF compatible lenses - looking for a list

With all of the recent threads relating to the maybe-possible-one-day FF issue from Pentax, I made some searches here on this forum trying to find a list of all FF-compatible lenses, just for my own curiosity.
I cannot seem to find that in the Lens Index/database.

Can someone please tell me where to find the information?

Sorry moderators if I have perhaps posted something which has already been discussed before.

JP

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 08-18-2010 at 10:05 AM. Reason: fixed typo in title
08-18-2010, 10:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The problem with trying to make such a list is the same as with trying to make a list of all Pentax-compatible lenses, period - there re far too many of them for anyone to keep track of. Hundreds if not thousands of different lenses made over the years by dozens of different manufacturers. And virtually all of them are FF compatible.

Really, it would be much simpler to list the lenses that are *not* FF compatible (or at least, not specifically intended to be). That would be a much, much, much shorter list. Basically, the Pentax DA lenses, the Sigma DC lenses, and the Tamron Di II lenses. There might be a very small handful of other more obscure lenses that are APS-C only.
08-18-2010, 10:15 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
The problem with trying to make such a list is the same as with trying to make a list of all Pentax-compatible lenses, period - there re far too many of them for anyone to keep track of. Hundreds if not thousands of different lenses made over the years by dozens of different manufacturers. And virtually all of them are FF compatible.

Really, it would be much simpler to list the lenses that are *not* FF compatible (or at least, not specifically intended to be). That would be a much, much, much shorter list. Basically, the Pentax DA lenses, the Sigma DC lenses, and the Tamron Di II lenses. There might be a very small handful of other more obscure lenses that are APS-C only.
Thanks Marc.

I hadn't look at it that way, and it is true that the list would be way too large.

So, are the DA* lenses withing the DA group?
I am asking because I read somewhere on this forum that the DA*300/4 was FF compatible.

Not an urgent matter, as I mentioned earlier, this is out of curiosity.

Cheers.

JP
08-18-2010, 10:21 AM   #4
Veteran Member

The DA* 200 and DA* 300 are both FF designs, afaik.

The DA40 Lim is also a FF design.

08-18-2010, 10:29 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote

In addition to the DA*200 and 300, I believe the DA*60-250 would cover the entire size of a FF sensor (be it film or digital).

Was unaware the DA40 could do it, but to be honest I never thought about it since I have the 43 and not the 40.
08-18-2010, 10:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Several of the DA* lenses probably fall within what I said about "at least, not specifically intended to be" FF compatible, but are generally known to work. They aren't necessarily advertised as being FF compatible, but if you find the thread in this forum where people have posted the results of actually testing various DA lenses on film, you can get an idea of which might work well enough for your needs. It's never a question of the lens not working at all - it's just a matter of how much vignetting there will be, what focal lengths it appears at (for zooms) and how quickly it starts to disappear ad you stop down.
08-18-2010, 11:18 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Sabatella Quote
Several of the DA* lenses probably fall within what I said about "at least, not specifically intended to be" FF compatible, but are generally known to work. They aren't necessarily advertised as being FF compatible, but if you find the thread in this forum where people have posted the results of actually testing various DA lenses on film, you can get an idea of which might work well enough for your needs. It's never a question of the lens not working at all - it's just a matter of how much vignetting there will be, what focal lengths it appears at (for zooms) and how quickly it starts to disappear ad you stop down.
Thanks again, Marc.
I believe this thread is the one you are talking about:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31629-da-lens-...ts-thread.html

It is very well done and kudo's to Falconeye and the people who took the time to test the lenses and present the results of the thread.

Understandably, using a DA/DA* lens on a FF is do-able; as you mention, it is a matter of how much vignetting you are willing to cope with.
As I see it, one could always compose "larger" and crop accordingly, while retaining some use of their DA's on an eventual digital FF camera.

Reply much appreciated.

JP

Last edited by jpzk; 08-18-2010 at 11:19 AM. Reason: added info
08-18-2010, 11:32 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, after reviewing the said thread on using DA lenses on FF cameras, I came upon two rather big surprises:
- Tamron Macro 90/2.8 Dii
- Tamron 70-200/2.8
(I own both)
would be un-useable on FF.
The rest of my lenses seem to be ready for eventual FF action, except for the DA*16-50/2.8; there wasn't much said on that one but I suppose it still would be useable to some extent.

JP
08-18-2010, 11:33 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote

Indeed they are.
Just follow the link I posted; that's from Falconeye.

JP
08-18-2010, 11:59 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Well, after reviewing the said thread on using DA lenses on FF cameras, I came upon two rather big surprises:
- Tamron 70-200/2.8
(I own both)
The rest of my lenses seem to be ready for eventual FF action, except for the DA*16-50/2.8; there wasn't much said on that one but I suppose it still would be useable to some extent.

JP
That is surprising and too bad. The Tammy macro was high on my list. This year I have stayed away from any lens lately that won't work reasonably well on my film bodies. (The one notable exception being the DA 12-24).
08-18-2010, 12:03 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks again, Marc.
I believe this thread is the one you are talking about:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31629-da-lens-...ts-thread.html

It is very well done and kudo's to Falconeye and the people who took the time to test the lenses and present the results of the thread.

Understandably, using a DA/DA* lens on a FF is do-able; as you mention, it is a matter of how much vignetting you are willing to cope with.
As I see it, one could always compose "larger" and crop accordingly, while retaining some use of their DA's on an eventual digital FF camera.

Reply much appreciated.

JP
Does anyone know why many of the images are no longer visible on that thread?
08-18-2010, 12:06 PM   #12

What about the FA lenses on full-frame? I am not joking -- I know they cover the full image circle, but what degree of vignetting/light dropoff would you see, say, on an FA 28/2.8 or an FA 35/2? Has anyone looked at this in the systematic way they examined the DA lenses?
08-18-2010, 12:15 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I'm 99% sure the Tammy macro is a FF lens...

http://fiveprime.org/flickr_hvmnd.cgi?search_type=Tags&photo_number=50&photo...it=Search+Tags
08-18-2010, 12:40 PM   #14
Veteran Member

- Tamron 70-200/2.8
(I own both)

JP

I may be wrong, but I was pretty sure that Tamron 70-200 2.8 is a FF lens...

EDIT: Yes, it is FF-capable. link --> here.

08-18-2010, 12:42 PM   #15
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
I may be wrong, but I was pretty sure that Tamron 70-200 2.8 is a FF lens...

Tamron 70-200 is FF. Lots of Canon folks use them on 5D, 5Ds, and 1-series.