Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2010, 07:00 AM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Yup, I have a few of Shaw's other books that I picked up 15 to 20 years ago. I have recently started working with manual focus lenses for macro and non macro. These books were written before autofocus and it is interesting to me to see how they were used when they were considered new.

I got a kick out of his macro light set up. He used low power inexpensive flashes and argued that more powerful flash was not required for macro. I also like his flash brackets. He was writing about these home made brackets decades ago.

Last edited by stover98074; 08-19-2010 at 07:18 AM.
08-19-2010, 07:40 AM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
I'll cast another vote for an enlarging lens on a bellows.
1) the bellows allows continuous focus adjustment over a wide range (unlike extension tubes.)
2) enlarger lenses are optimized for edge-to-edge sharpness, flatness of field and low distortion (unlike prime lenses.)

Dave in Iowa
08-19-2010, 08:33 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Shaw's books ought to be required reading for nature photographers.
I think his books should be required OWNING for nature photographers. They are well written, easy to understand (if not to do) and are a constant reference source to me.
08-19-2010, 08:59 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stover98074 Quote
I got a kick out of his macro light set up. He used low power inexpensive flashes and argued that more powerful flash was not required for macro. I also like his flash brackets. He was writing about these home made brackets decades ago.
Hey, I made one of those "butterfly brackets" years ago and it works like a champ!

08-19-2010, 11:59 AM   #20
Pentaxian

I agree that Shaw's books are worthwhile guides.
08-19-2010, 12:53 PM   #21
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I'll have a look for the books, any titles in particular? I've sent for a bellows and I'll see how I get on with that...I can see I have a lot to learn.
08-19-2010, 12:57 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Spiderman Quote
I'll have a look for the books, any titles in particular? I've sent for a bellows and I'll see how I get on with that...I can see I have a lot to learn.
The one that I find most helpful is The Nature Photographer's Complete Professional Field Techniques published by AmPhoto.
ISBN 0-8174-5006-8

08-19-2010, 01:15 PM   #23
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks I'll keep a look out for that one, I found copies of some but not all places would ship to UK... I got close ups in nature, and the nature photographer field guide, secondhand and fairly cheap too Thanks for the advice, they will be studied & put into practice!
08-19-2010, 03:18 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stover98074 Quote
............While I enjoy working with enlarging lenses, two of my favorite lenses are a Takumar SMC 200 f4 and a Takumar 135 f3.5 preset from 1961...................
The 135 preset rocks on tubes
Here is a large crop on a windy day
Pete
08-19-2010, 06:20 PM   #25

Transit, you are correct, this old preset works well up close and to Yeatzee's earlier point on the wisdom of primes and macro, they can/do work well on tubes.

Transit your post above prompted me to dig out my bellows (still have not gotten around to purchasing M42 tubes) and poke around my wife's garden tonight with the bellows and Takumar 135 preset hand held. Below are a two different compositions of the same flower.

The earlier post and photograph in this thread of the yellow columbine was with a 135mm fujinon enlarging lens on the same bellows - at a longer exposure and small aperture (a little sharper), so Spiderman there is hope for sharp macro on bellows if you have a tripod and some calm winds.

This is the image without extension on the 135.

Last edited by stover98074; 08-20-2010 at 06:31 AM.
08-20-2010, 03:24 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TaoMaas Quote
Shaw's books ought to be required reading for nature photographers.
I'll second this opinion.

Tom G
08-21-2010, 07:34 AM   #27
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I wont be shooting outside, I am building a bug studio so everything with be perfect I picked up some bellows and a reverse adapter and I will experiment. Wind won't be an issue, but chasing bugs across my floor and up the walls might be. I also hatch out moths and butterflies, so they will also be my subjects, not to mention the spiders and anything else with more than four legs. I'm just this minute cutting out the back panels and floor for the studio as I've completed the frame, then attach runners to the rear to allow me to change background colour, which is dependant on the colour/s of the subject. Next issue will be lighting...wether to go for ring flash or twin flashes on moveable arms either side of the studio to allow some light manipulation...lots to do! I love making things like this, especially when they work
08-21-2010, 12:57 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Spiderman Quote
I wont be shooting outside, I am building a bug studio so everything with be perfect I picked up some bellows and a reverse adapter and I will experiment. Wind won't be an issue, but chasing bugs across my floor and up the walls might be. I also hatch out moths and butterflies, so they will also be my subjects, not to mention the spiders and anything else with more than four legs. I'm just this minute cutting out the back panels and floor for the studio as I've completed the frame, then attach runners to the rear to allow me to change background colour, which is dependant on the colour/s of the subject. Next issue will be lighting...wether to go for ring flash or twin flashes on moveable arms either side of the studio to allow some light manipulation...lots to do! I love making things like this, especially when they work
my vote is for the twin flash setup.