Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2010, 10:38 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hoya Lenses...Not filters...

Has anyone else used, or even seen, a Hoya brand lens? I recently acquired one through a purchase on ebay. It was grouped in a kit that included an old Pentax ME, an SMC 50mm 1.7 (what I was really bidding for), a slew of other odds and ends, and this lens; Hoya HMC 35-105mm Zoom & Macro 1:3.5.

I haven't seen any of these type of lenses listed individually on ebay, or any other site for that matter, and I can't seem to find a whole lot of info online about them either. The lens takes very sharp images, gives great color and contrast, and the macro function is pretty awesome too. It weighs a ton, almost as heavy or heavier than my camera, and feels as solid as Fort Knox. Zoom and aperture rings are smooth as silk too.

Is this lens worth anything? Any info would be handy!

Here are a couple of sample images, straight out of the camera:

Macro:

Zoom, low light, hand held, no flash. Heavy enough to steady my shaky hands I suppose!

08-18-2010, 11:04 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds more like the Pentax 35-105mm lens- I'll check the photo once I get back on the PC
08-18-2010, 11:32 AM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

It looks like that lens indeed exists, but it's very old!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-18-2010, 12:16 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Should have posted these originally:

08-18-2010, 12:35 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've seen them from time to time on Ebay. They made at least a few different lenses. I've seen a 200mm prime, a 135mm prime, and a wide-angle prime (can't remember now). Do a search or post on mflenses.com if you want more information.
08-18-2010, 12:40 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I've just started looking over there. Great site, thanks.
08-18-2010, 09:28 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by macTak Quote
They made at least a few different lenses. I've seen a 200mm prime, a 135mm prime, and a wide-angle prime (can't remember now)..
I have a Hoya HMC Wide Auto 28/2.8 in Konica mount (#324137) that I can't use and will sell as soon as I get my moldy butt in gear. It's not heavy, weighing in at 210g, the same neighborhood as other 28/2.8's.
08-19-2010, 02:30 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery
This is Tokina lens. It was also sold under Vivitar name. I have one and it is solid performer with flere problem.

08-19-2010, 03:48 AM   #9
axl
Veteran Member

Hoya was indeed making lenses some time ago. I came across few of them. And used to own HMC 135/2.8. These lenses have a reputation of average grade 3rd party lens with one exception: build quality. That is simply excellent (I'd compare them to metal bodied Tokina lenses). IQwise they are nothing fancy. My 135 was quite soft wide open and low contrast, low saturation and kind of cold in colour tone. Stopped down it sharpened nicely but wasn't keeper.
There was an user (simonkit if I remember correctly) who had HMC 28.8 and just concluded my findings on optical quality of these lenses.
08-24-2010, 04:19 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Hoya was indeed selling lenses in the mid to late '70s. While their brand is best known for filters, they were one of the biggest suppliers of optical glass to camera manufacturers and lens makers. Look real hard at their lenses and they start looking like Tokina or Sun branded lenses of the period. The market for accessory lenses was expanding at the time and they probably wanted to get a piece of it.