Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-01-2011, 06:39 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by legacyb4 Quote
Congrats on yet ANOTHER awesome lens to add to your collection!
Thanks, although this thread was actually from last summer and I've since sold the FA*28-70 (and an FA*80-200 that I picked up as well). Both great lenses, but in the case of the FA*28-70 I just felt that the Tamron 28-75 suited me better. At about half the size and one-third the cost of the FA*, the Tamron performed better at the long end IMO.

As for the FA*80-200, that lens was optically outstanding, but physically huge. It weighed about 30% more than either my Tamron 70-200 (sold to fund the FA*80-200) and also about 30% more than my DA*60-250 (which I also sold to fund the 80-200, but then rebought when I sold the FA*80-200). In this case I just found I preferred the combo of the DA*50-135/2.8 and DA*60-250/4. The 50-135 for times when I want f/2.8 and the 60-250 when I want a more reach.

09-07-2011, 03:37 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Slight Amendment to FA* hood solution

Can I just add a note on this subject that may be of use to others looking for an alternative lens hood.

I recently purchased an FA* 80-200 f2.8 (without original hood) and followed the advice in this thread to buy the Pentax hood designed for the DA* 200 & 300 lenses - the good news was that the bayonet fit was perfect - the bad news was that it would only fit when the lens focus ring was pulled back into the Manual Focus position

I chatted to a friend of mine about the problem and he suggested "sanding" the back edge of the hood down using Emery paper (Wet'n'dry I think it's called sometimes) - a medium grade to remove the depth then a fine grade to provide a nice finish. The result is a genuine Pentax hood that fits perfectly, allows Autofocus operation, is more appropriate for the focal length (the original hood seems quite shallow) and looks good.

I hope this helps someone someday!
09-07-2011, 04:00 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LennyBloke Quote
Can I just add a note on this subject that may be of use to others looking for an alternative lens hood.

I recently purchased an FA* 80-200 f2.8 (without original hood) and followed the advice in this thread to buy the Pentax hood designed for the DA* 200 & 300 lenses - the good news was that the bayonet fit was perfect - the bad news was that it would only fit when the lens focus ring was pulled back into the Manual Focus position

I chatted to a friend of mine about the problem and he suggested "sanding" the back edge of the hood down using Emery paper (Wet'n'dry I think it's called sometimes) - a medium grade to remove the depth then a fine grade to provide a nice finish. The result is a genuine Pentax hood that fits perfectly, allows Autofocus operation, is more appropriate for the focal length (the original hood seems quite shallow) and looks good.

Great post. I actually did try the DA*200/300 hood on the FA*80-200 last spring and found I had the same issues you did in terms of only being able to use it for MF. Didn't occur to me to sand down the end, but great idea. Thanks for posting it!
09-09-2011, 08:26 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Did you already sand it?
I got the DA*300 hood 2 weeks ago.

I was thinking to sand it down but the wall is hollow.
I wonder if it would work.

09-11-2011, 08:35 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Yes - it's sanded and working well, I haven't taken a detail picture of the sanded end as yet, but here it is on the lens....

I'm not sure what you mean about the wall being hollow - mine was solid plastic. I sanded right up to about 1mm before filter rotation window
09-11-2011, 07:55 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Yes - it's sanded and working well, I haven't taken a detail picture of the sanded end as yet, but here it is on the lens....

I'm not sure what you mean about the wall being hollow - mine was solid plastic. I sanded right up to about 1mm before filter rotation window
You did a good job.

I am going to do it very soon.
I am also thinking to put a Big Pentax logo like how the 645 lens hood looks.
09-13-2011, 09:25 PM   #22
Pentaxian

dgaies, you should have get the original one!
For $135!
Pentax FA 28-70mm F2.8/80-200mm F2.8 Lenshood.Excellent | eBay

black one looks good... now you have FA*24 + FA* 300 added... envy!

Lee
09-14-2011, 03:45 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LFLee Quote
dgaies, you should have get the original one!
For $135!
Pentax FA 28-70mm F2.8/80-200mm F2.8 Lenshood.Excellent | eBay

black one looks good... now you have FA*24 + FA* 300 added... envy!

Lee
Hi Lee, thanks for the link. If I still had the FA*28-70, I would certainly consider picking it up, even for $135. At the time I was looking (about a year ago), the only one I could find was from someone asking almost $300 for it. I might be sick in the head when it comes to LBA, but even I wouldn't buy a hood for $300

As for the other FA* I just bought, I'm looking forward to giving them a try, especially the 24 as it's one of those lenses that I'm not sure exactly what to expect. The last time I bought one it wouldn't focus to infinity and I had to return it (fortunately I bought it from KEH, so it was no problem returning it), so hopefully I'll have better luck this time around

08-10-2012, 12:33 AM   #24
Site Supporter

i just ordered the hood from B&H for $24.95 plus shipping. Thanks for the tip.
09-14-2012, 07:01 PM   #25
Site Supporter

that WAS a great tip on the hood, thanks. I have been using mine and it does the job perfectly.