Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2010, 09:18 PM   #1
Forum Member

Sigma 70-200mm question

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi, i found this lens on ebay, and i tried to ask the seller which version this was but the seller informed me that he/she did not have much knowledge about this lens. I was wondering if anyone out there can identify this lens, is this the II Macro, or is this the first gen. sigma 70-200mm f/2.8, here is the ebay link. thanks.

SIGMA 70-200 MM APO F2.8 EX Lens Pentax with case - eBay (item 150477734201 end time Aug-15-10 11:52:47 PDT)

08-19-2010, 10:02 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Looks like first gen, for a few reasons - doesn't say DG anywhere on the body, isn't HSM (both because it doesn't say HSM and because it has an aperture ring, which Sigma's HSM lenses don't have), and it has the older style green nylon (rather than black nylon) lens case.
08-19-2010, 10:10 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes it is the original version. I have this lens and it's a winner. Seems the listing has been withdrawn. It's also missing the tripod collar.
08-20-2010, 12:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
for that price, I wouldn't mind if it's missing it's collar.

08-20-2010, 12:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Has this thread bumped the price?!

SIGMA 70-200 MM APO F2.8 EX Lens Pentax with case - eBay (item 150480783414 end time Sep-14-10 14:39:05 PDT)
08-20-2010, 01:19 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm not sure. but if someone bought it already and this one gets withdrawn and relisted again for a bumped price, I'm reporting this to eBay.
08-20-2010, 06:59 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Thinking about selling mine...

Well, that sure looks like a bump in price, and the same lens that "sold" bu8t she does state:

"FYI: This is the 3rd time I'm relisting it, just in case it's raising eyebrows as to why. The first Buyer found another lens he wanted at the last minute, the 2nd buyer was in an International country that would not allow me to insure the item, and I refused to ship it without insuring it. My sincere apologies to that Buyer...I've revised this listing to No International shipping. Hopefully three's a charm!"

Seems she's had issues getting buyers to pay up. Still it could be suspicious. In all though, looking at feedback and number of sales, it seems to me that this is probably on the up and up.

I am thinking about selling my first gen. Sad to see it go, but it is not getting used as much as it should, so it needs to move along.

It has just a tiny imperfection in the coating on the front element that does not effect IQ. I got it that way, and it's worn a filter ever since. It has a the tripod collar and a brand new very much uprated and well-fitting Lowepro case instead of the old Sigma case. Other than as noted and a few cosmetic scratches on the hood, this thing is in excellent condition.

Under the circumstances is $650.00 too much to ask for this lens? Don't mean to hijack, but I'd appreciate feedback here.

Seaain

08-20-2010, 07:35 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Missing tripod collar

I was actually planning on purchasing this lens, after looing at sigma tripod collars up to 150$ the 799 price seems awfully too high in my opinion seems higher then the macro II version or the tamron 70-200mm, if i could get it at 500-600 max i would get the lens btw. Since tripod collar will come in handy to me, i dont get the 799 price tag, and previously it was around 600.
08-20-2010, 07:35 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for all of your quick and helpful replys guys, really appreciate it.
08-20-2010, 07:47 AM   #10
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Woof, your price is fine with the front imperfection. I sold mine for $750.00 a week ago. Complete with case, box and collar.

If I were you, List it here on the marketplace (doing it right and not outside the site rules) and contact the OP. Bypass this ebay listing. I would want the collar for mine and the HSM collar does not fit the older lens. Neither does the hood. They made some slight size changes in the new version.
08-20-2010, 08:43 AM   #11
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
Woof, your price is fine with the front imperfection. I sold mine for $750.00 a week ago. Complete with case, box and collar.

If I were you, List it here on the marketplace (doing it right and not outside the site rules) and contact the OP. Bypass this ebay listing. I would want the collar for mine and the HSM collar does not fit the older lens. Neither does the hood. They made some slight size changes in the new version.
Oh, thanks Peter... I actually had not thought to sell it to anyone in this thread... that really was not my intent, though it could certainly appear that way... The appearance of impropriety IS impropriety after all... so please accept my apologies. I really was after FMV... I was just going to go right to e-Bay and list the lens, but I'll do as you say and give it a shot here - keep it in the family.

Thanks!

woof!
08-20-2010, 09:37 AM   #12
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

And avoid the retarded Final value fees! I sold my FA*300mm last month on Ebay and it cost me $50 @$945.00 but of course no one here wanted to pay $850.00 so it's a wash.

My comment was simply a reminder, I know what you were asking.