Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2010, 07:06 AM   #16

Photos coming today

Sample shots from my 120-400 will be coming later today.

Sigma do say the lens will not work with the K-mount (presumably Sigma?) teleconverter (TC), but I have tested it with the Tamron 1.4x PZ and Promaster Spectrum 1.7x TC. The PZ contacts of these two teleconverters provide power to the HSM circuitry and it does appear to focus satisfactorily, if more slowly. The Kenko 1.5 TC that is still available in limited quantities should also work.

I am considering the Tamron 1.4 TC as a way to get 500mm of reach when needed. The Sigma 120-400 is reputedly a tad better optically than the 150-500, so I thought this might be a better solution than the longer lens since I'll usually be working between 250mm and 400mm.

Mike

08-27-2010, 08:11 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Stringmike Quote
Mike
I think I'm not alone in looking forward to seeing them.
08-27-2010, 11:05 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster

Sigma do say the lens will not work with the K-mount (presumably Sigma?) teleconverter (TC), but I have tested it with the Tamron 1.4x PZ and Promaster Spectrum 1.7x TC. The PZ contacts of these two teleconverters provide power to the HSM circuitry and it does appear to focus satisfactorily, if more slowly. The Kenko 1.5 TC that is still available in limited quantities should also work.

I am considering the Tamron 1.4 TC as a way to get 500mm of reach when needed. The Sigma 120-400 is reputedly a tad better optically than the 150-500, so I thought this might be a better solution than the longer lens since I'll usually be working between 250mm and 400mm.

Mike
So I guess my own Tamron 1.4X TC would work with that lens.
So, until we see some sample shots ... have a great day!

JP
08-27-2010, 10:15 PM   #19

Few quick shots

Unfortunately didn't have time to do all the controlled tests I wanted to, so I just shot a few quick ones while I was up the road at Carefree at lunch time. Sun right overhead, so not perfect timing either! Full-size jpegs here:

Picasa Web Albums - Mike the Strike - Sigma 120-400...

First shot with Vivitar 105mm f2.5 with my K10D for quick comparison with Sigma 120-400mm HSM at 120mm, then 200mm and 400mm with K20D. Later shots with Tamron 1.4 PZ teleconverter added to Sigma and comparison with Tamron Adaptall 300 f2.8 with matching Tamron 1.4x teleconverter at 420mm.

Observations: the Sigma did better than I expected and the image held up well with the 1.4 teleconverter. Focusing was quick and accurate, although I think my K20D might need a little tweak. With the PZ teleconverter, focusing was just as accurate, but slower.

More tests later with some better subjects and control.

Mike

08-28-2010, 10:52 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Mike,

Thanks for those shots.
09-03-2010, 05:45 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Unfortunately didn't have time to do all the controlled tests I wanted to, so I just shot a few quick ones while I was up the road at Carefree at lunch time. Sun right overhead, so not perfect timing either! Full-size jpegs here:

Picasa Web Albums - Mike the Strike - Sigma 120-400...

First shot with Vivitar 105mm f2.5 with my K10D for quick comparison with Sigma 120-400mm HSM at 120mm, then 200mm and 400mm with K20D. Later shots with Tamron 1.4 PZ teleconverter added to Sigma and comparison with Tamron Adaptall 300 f2.8 with matching Tamron 1.4x teleconverter at 420mm.

Observations: the Sigma did better than I expected and the image held up well with the 1.4 teleconverter. Focusing was quick and accurate, although I think my K20D might need a little tweak. With the PZ teleconverter, focusing was just as accurate, but slower.

More tests later with some better subjects and control.

Mike
Great job you did, John ... and thanks for taking the time to show some sample shots with this Sigma lens.
I noticed that some shots were actually sharper with the Sigma lens than with the 300/2.8 with TC.
I also noticed that even with a 1.4X TC attached, the Sigma one being a bit sharper then the Tamron TC, this lens is quite impressive.

So my take is that even with the perhaps less IQ'd Tamron TC, the Sigma 120-400 does give you pleasing results.

I wonder if you'd get even better results with a K7 though, just a thought.

Again, thank you ever so much for the sample shots.

Cheers.

JP

Forgot to ask: will the AF still kick in with a 1.4X TC?

Last edited by jpzk; 09-03-2010 at 05:47 PM. Reason: added a question
12-18-2010, 04:27 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Anyone else remembered to post some pics taken with this lens yet?

Cheers.

JP
12-18-2010, 05:23 PM   #23
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Anyone else remembered to post some pics taken with this lens yet?

Cheers.

JP
JP,
i borrowed it for a day with the K20, when we were taking some bridge construction pictures with it. I'm used to my DA300mm, but i enjoyed the 120-400 a lot!! All that flexibility to zoom was very useful. Its a heavy lens but i was able to handhold it all day. I'll post some pictures tomorrow. The wide end was very good i thought, and the long end not so bad either. Of course it has the Sigma cooler look to them. Seems to be well built and not "loose at all" Not classified as one of their EX lenses, not sure why. Oh yeah, the hsm seemed fast compared to the SDM that i'm used to.

12-19-2010, 10:43 AM   #24
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi Phil!

I am looking forward to more pics taken with this lens.

I too am used to the DA*300/4 and I am also considering the Sigma 120-400 but I am caustiously evaluating some pics taken by folks who already own one and of course, my fear is that it may not have the same IQ as the DA*300.
On the other hand, I saw some photos taken by Stringmike and I must admit that I was pleasantly surprised.
Here are the pics:
Picasa Web Albums - Michael Stringfellow - Sigma 120-400...

So, I'll be watching for your posting of the photos you've mentioned.

Cheers.

JP
12-19-2010, 12:35 PM   #25
Pentaxian

As requested from a 120-400 Sigma, handheld, no OS, but HSM. HSM seemed faster to me than the SDM i'm used to:

300mm zoom, 1/1600sec, 2500 iso, f5.6
[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

120mm zoom, 1/1600sec, 1250iso, f5.6

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

400mm zoom, 1/1600sec, 640iso, f5.6

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]

I don't own this lens so don't have any oar in the water :-) I'd be interested in your final conclusions on the lens.

Last edited by philbaum; 12-19-2010 at 12:40 PM.
12-19-2010, 02:36 PM   #26
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks a bunch, Phil!

I am very pleased to see the shots, especially the one taken at 400mm which shows quite a bit of details. I am rather surprised!

The "OS" is not available in Pentax mount, I believe, but that is not a problem from what I am seeing here with your photos.

This would likely be a real contender in my search for a longer focal than that of the DA*300/4.
With a dedicated 1.4X Sigma TC, this would mean a 560mm at 400mm.
With a max aperture of F4.5-5.6, (not sure about the final aperture while using a 1.4X TC though) that would work great with a K5, given its capabilities in high ISO.

By the way Phil, did you use TAv?

Final conclusion: great lens, great details.

JP
12-19-2010, 06:20 PM   #27
Pentaxian

Thanks a bunch, Phil!

I am very pleased to see the shots, especially the one taken at 400mm which shows quite a bit of details. I am rather surprised!

The "OS" is not available in Pentax mount, I believe, but that is not a problem from what I am seeing here with your photos.

This would likely be a real contender in my search for a longer focal than that of the DA*300/4.
With a dedicated 1.4X Sigma TC, this would mean a 560mm at 400mm.
With a max aperture of F4.5-5.6, (not sure about the final aperture while using a 1.4X TC though) that would work great with a K5, given its capabilities in high ISO.

By the way Phil, did you use TAv?

Final conclusion: great lens, great details.

JP
JP, I very likely was using TAv because i was taking shots pretty rapidly, and thats usually when i switch to TAv. I just can't say for sure because its not in the exif.

Although i didn't have a tripod, there was fairly high railing on the adjacent bridge and i leaned against it. The sharpness of the images was surprising when i got home. Goes to show how helpful 1/1600 shutter is.

I was all pumped up to buy one of these myself and then ran into the K5 launch. I'm married and that should explain why i'm not planning on buying both in the near term
12-19-2010, 08:10 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
As requested from a 120-400 Sigma, handheld, no OS, but HSM.
I'd be interested in your final conclusions on the lens.
Wow. Thank you, Phil.
I had not considered this lens; but, based just on your photos here, I believe this Sigma will replace the DA*300 on my "to get" list.
RayGunn
12-20-2010, 10:43 AM   #29
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
JP, I very likely was using TAv because i was taking shots pretty rapidly, and thats usually when i switch to TAv. I just can't say for sure because its not in the exif.

Although i didn't have a tripod, there was fairly high railing on the adjacent bridge and i leaned against it. The sharpness of the images was surprising when i got home. Goes to show how helpful 1/1600 shutter is.

I was all pumped up to buy one of these myself and then ran into the K5 launch. I'm married and that should explain why i'm not planning on buying both in the near term
That's what I thought when I saw the same apertures/shutter speeds on the pics.
Actually, given the good results you'd get with the K5 at high ISO, I for one would likely start using the TAv mode much more often.
The high shutter speed is also a must when you want to freeze the action, of course.

I understand your "predicament" about the joys of wedlock VS. LBA!

JP
12-20-2010, 12:33 PM   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I thought they had recently released a version with OS for Pentax and Sony?

LINK

*For Pentax and Sony mounts, it is not possible to use the AF and the built-in OS function of this lens when attaching it to film SLR cameras as well as Pentax *ist series and K100D.
*When using the OS function of a lens with a camera which incorporates a stabilizer unit, please turn the camera’s stabilizer unit off.