Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2010, 12:42 PM   #31
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Hi Mike.

Yeah, I just followed your link and it seems that Sigma has this lens in its "OS" configuration but it is not clearly stated that it is.
A bit confusing from what I had seen on a previous Sigma site.

Nonetheless, I wonder of the built-in OS would be more efficient than the built-in SR in the Pentax camera(s).
I guess one way to reallt find out would be to test it both ways: lens OS "ON" with camera SR "OFF" and vice-versa.

Thanks for the link, I am going back to it now and review it more carefully.

JP

12-20-2010, 01:57 PM   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Hi Mike.

Yeah, I just followed your link and it seems that Sigma has this lens in its "OS" configuration but it is not clearly stated that it is. A bit confusing from what I had seen on a previous Sigma site.
To be honest I find Sigma have no idea how to keep their web site up to date unless of course you are a Canon/Nikon user.

Personally I am waiting to see if they release the new 120-300mm f2.8 OS in Pentax mount, not that it matters atm because my K-5 is back at the retailer awaiting replacement.
12-20-2010, 02:13 PM   #33
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Hi Mike.

Yeah, I just followed your link and it seems that Sigma has this lens in its "OS" configuration but it is not clearly stated that it is.
A bit confusing from what I had seen on a previous Sigma site.

Nonetheless, I wonder of the built-in OS would be more efficient than the built-in SR in the Pentax camera(s).
I guess one way to reallt find out would be to test it both ways: lens OS "ON" with camera SR "OFF" and vice-versa.

Thanks for the link, I am going back to it now and review it more carefully.

JP
Sigma 120-400 Pentax - Adorama.com

Adorama lists both a gray market and usa version of the OS version, i think BH lists it as well.

When i was researching for my own purchase, that didn't happen, there was a post on the forum that must not be mentioned, that a guy had good results with leaving them both on. Also, if you search the lens database for this lens, i believe one of the reports is from someone who has the os version. i'm on a dodgy wifi connection so got to go :-)
12-20-2010, 02:23 PM   #34

AFAIK No OS Version for Pentax

The version I had (sold a while back) is the only available current model and does not come with OS in the Pentax mount. Where updated versions of Sigma lenses have added OS you will find a substantial increase in price. This hasn't happened yet with the 120-400.

If in doubt, ask to look at the box. If it's got OS, it'll be on the box.

Mike

12-20-2010, 03:36 PM   #35
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Stringmike Quote
The version I had (sold a while back) is the only available current model and does not come with OS in the Pentax mount. Where updated versions of Sigma lenses have added OS you will find a substantial increase in price. This hasn't happened yet with the 120-400.
Another Link and another

Oh, forgot we cant link to Dpreview LINK

Last edited by Mike.P®; 12-20-2010 at 03:42 PM.
12-20-2010, 06:23 PM   #36
MGV

The sigma website
120-400mm F4.5-5.6 DG APO OS HSM - Telephoto Zoom Lenses - SigmaPhoto.com

says that the pentax mount has OS and HSM, but a convertor is not avaliable in the Pentax mount (convertor available other mounts). I also talked to the Sigma reps at the San Deigo Photo Expo a month ago and he said the same thing.

OS and HSM is also available on the new 50-500
12-20-2010, 07:22 PM   #37
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So, is the "OS" version available for Pentax, or not?

JP
12-20-2010, 08:19 PM   #38
Pentaxian

If in doubt, ask to look at the box. If it's got OS, it'll be on the box.

Mike
Mike seems be right on this, i just phoned my brother who loaned me this lens last summer for a day. He read me his instructions that came with his lens. They said that this was an optically stabilized lens. It goes on to explain how to use the stabilized lens for Nikon, Canon, except for Pentax and Sony. So my brother got a lens instruction that is also used for Nikon and Canon, it just says that the os intructions are not applicable to Pentax and Sony. He also paid about the same amount that its going for today.

The good news is that we have our SR camera bodies to help compensate for the lack of OS with the lens.

It seems like a deceptive way to list the lens. Its a OS lens alright, but then the instructions say your OS lens does not work with your Pentax camera. oh well. I suspect that the 50-500 os version is the same, i.e. doesn't have os with Pentax cameras. The Sigma thinking may have been that the Pentax community doesn't need os because they have SR.

12-20-2010, 08:53 PM   #39
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote
Mike seems be right on this, i just phoned my brother who loaned me this lens last summer for a day. He read me his instructions that came with his lens. They said that this was an optically stabilized lens. It goes on to explain how to use the stabilized lens for Nikon, Canon, except for Pentax and Sony. So my brother got a lens instruction that is also used for Nikon and Canon, it just says that the os intructions are not applicable to Pentax and Sony. He also paid about the same amount that its going for today.

The good news is that we have our SR camera bodies to help compensate for the lack of OS with the lens.

It seems like a deceptive way to list the lens. Its a OS lens alright, but then the instructions say your OS lens does not work with your Pentax camera. oh well. I suspect that the 50-500 os version is the same, i.e. doesn't have os with Pentax cameras. The Sigma thinking may have been that the Pentax community doesn't need os because they have SR.
That settles the issue then.

As far as I am concerned, the "lack" of OS on that lens would not deter me from acquiring it since we already have the in-body SR.

Funny how Sigma's websites (yes, several of them) don't seem to agree on what they post. Or maybe they just don't care.

Anyway, thanks for the replies and I am going to start saving for an eventual Sigma 120-400 ... unless Pentax decides to offer a similar lens in the (distant?) future.

Cheers.

JP
12-20-2010, 11:40 PM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by philbaum Quote

When did your brother get his lens though .. according to the press release the OS replacement for Pentax and Sony was announced in May so would have come to market only a couple of months ago.

Ruddy Sigma don't make it easy that;s for sure.
12-21-2010, 12:56 PM   #41
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P® Quote
When did your brother get his lens though .. according to the press release the OS replacement for Pentax and Sony was announced in May so would have come to market only a couple of months ago.

Ruddy Sigma don't make it easy that;s for sure.
It was at least 6 to 8 months back. Someone should ask the local BH rep as to whether they have the real deal or not regards OS for Pentax.
12-21-2010, 03:23 PM   #42
Pentaxian

I emailed the main UK Sigma/Pentax dealer today and asked them about the lens in Pentax mount and they confirmed it is now only available with OS, the older version is discontinued.
12-21-2010, 03:34 PM   #43

Still not sure an OS version for Pentax exists

I can't see one on B&H's web site and the US Sigma site only shows the non-OS model.

I'll believe it when I see one, or a photo of a box with the "OS" designation.

Mike
12-23-2010, 07:28 AM   #44
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I can't see one on B&H's web site and the US Sigma site only shows the non-OS model.

I'll believe it when I see one, or a photo of a box with the "OS" designation.

Mike
The problem is that websites such as B & H seldom, if ever, show the "package" with which the lens comes.
For me and like many others, shopping online is the only way because of no near Pentax dealers; and you have to go from what you read, not from what you see on the pictures at their websites.

I did once ordered a lens which was supposed to be "such and such" model, only to find out upon receipt that it was not. I had depended on the website pictures of the lens.

But for me, regarding the Sigma 120-400, I wonder if this OS business means that
I would still have to pay for a lens that doesn't have it (the OS) while it is available for the other brands at the same price?
I suppose it doesn't really matter because we have SR built in on our Pentax bodies, but paying a premium on a feature that doesn't exist is sort of deceiving.

JP
01-18-2011, 09:53 AM   #45
Veteran Member

After a week of emailing back and forth, I confirmed with 47th st photo that they were able to get the OS version (their stock was non-OS despite the listing stating OS; they had to talk to their sigma rep about it, and now have the OS version, at least they got me one!) - so I just paid for my ebay purchase (had ebay bucks to spend), they accepted a pretty decent best offer for it too. Hoping it will arrive by week's end!