Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-18-2011, 11:22 AM   #46
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
After a week of emailing back and forth, I confirmed with 47th st photo that they were able to get the OS version (their stock was non-OS despite the listing stating OS; they had to talk to their sigma rep about it, and now have the OS version, at least they got me one!) - so I just paid for my ebay purchase (had ebay bucks to spend), they accepted a pretty decent best offer for it too. Hoping it will arrive by week's end!
GREAT!! Please post back about your experiences with it. there aren't actually many, if any posts about the OS or even many about the 120-400 for Pentax. I think its a very good lens, but my priority is a K5 first :-).

01-18-2011, 12:08 PM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I just opened a new one today, my instructions say no OS. but there may be newer ones. The request for OS would seem to assume that the Sigma OS is better than the Pentax SR would be. How hard would it be to have two different stabilization systems working on the same image.... one in the camera body and one in the lens? My guess, if it were possible to get a Pentax with functional OS you would surely have to turn off the in camera shake reduction? And then you have to ask, which would you want to use? So if anyone actually does have a Pentax Sigma with OS enabled, I'd be interested in knowing what the manual says about using this feature. From the beginning I assumed it was the same lens with the OS disabled in the Pentax mount because of the built in SR.

Someone enlighten me? Mine says APO120-400mmF4.5-5.6 DG OS HSM on the instruction's title but , and "SO not available for Pentax or Sony" in the instructions. It is very unlikely they are producing different lenses. Especially since thy aren't producing separate sets of instructions. Way more probable it's exactly the same lens with OS in the pentax mount disabled because of SR. There is absolutely no way I can think of they could work together. ( But some people say I don't think very good, in fact sometimes the smartest thing Ican think of is "let's go for a beer.")
01-18-2011, 12:23 PM   #48
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
People who have tried Sigma OS lenses say it does conflict w/ Pentax's SR. Use one or the other.
For long lenses, in-lens OS is better than in-body SR in general...
01-18-2011, 12:44 PM   #49
Veteran Member

There is a user of the 120-400mm OS lens at the steves digicams forum (a thread a couple pages long with some samples as well). That user indicated it is nice to have a stabilized image in the VF, but that it also depleted the battery quicker with regular use.

Norm, the ebay listing I was looking at had the OS designation. The OS versions for Pentax and Sony were announced by Sigma in May last year, but it seems they are slow to trickle into inventory. I emailed 47th st photo to confirm it was in fact the OS version, and he went down to the warehouse himself to find their stock was non-OS. At that point he instructed me to wait as their Sigma rep would be in their store last Thursday. Following that, he said the stock they have is now discontinued and he 'should' be able to get the OS version this week - called this morning, and it was in, so I paid!

You are right as far as actual testing has gone, no two shake systems can work together (i.e. in-lens and in-body); I think the only real tests have been done with micro 4/3, where Olympus has in-body and panasonic has in-lens.

I am looking for the benefit of having the image stabilized within the viewfinder, which is the only real advantage I can see having in-lens IS over the body. At these longer focal lengths that, for me, will be the difference between handheld use vs. a tripod most of the time (not that I expect to be tripod free of course).

01-18-2011, 01:13 PM   #50
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stringmike Quote
Still not sure an OS version for Pentax exists
That's not right. I do have this lens for pentax mount last 6 months. Shoot approx 1200 pics with it. First 5-600 is to know the property of the lens. Last time used was a family portrait in autumn. I think I put a review in non-OS version.
01-18-2011, 01:36 PM   #51
Pentaxian

Ha, so that's why I got mine for $200 off, I knew there had to be a reason.
01-20-2011, 05:26 PM   #52
Veteran Member

I got mine today, OS in the viewfinder is definitely nice for handheld...not that I would want to handhold this lens very often! Unfortunately it was already dark here when I got the lens. Now that I have the lens, time to implement part 2 of my new year's resolution - get an annual pass to the zoo! I started working 10hr days and have mondays off, and want to make the most of them, can't wait (even if it is freezing out!)

I bought from 47th - they have a best offer option on ebay - send me a PM if you want to know what they'll accept, it was pretty decent! Also, I guess they now have stock of both versions, so I would definitely communicate that you want to get the OS version, otherwise you might end up with the non-OS lens.

01-22-2011, 08:37 AM   #53
Pentaxian

OK admittedly mine is not the OS version, so this was shot hand held with SR turned on.

Canada Gray Jay

Here's closer to 1 to 1 for pixel peepers, "definition" is turned up to about half in Aperture.

Last edited by normhead; 01-22-2011 at 09:20 AM.
01-30-2011, 02:56 PM   #54
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pxpaulx Quote
I got mine today, OS in the viewfinder is definitely nice for handheld...not that I would want to handhold this lens very often! Unfortunately it was already dark here when I got the lens. Now that I have the lens, time to implement part 2 of my new year's resolution - get an annual pass to the zoo! I started working 10hr days and have mondays off, and want to make the most of them, can't wait (even if it is freezing out!)

I bought from 47th - they have a best offer option on ebay - send me a PM if you want to know what they'll accept, it was pretty decent! Also, I guess they now have stock of both versions, so I would definitely communicate that you want to get the OS version, otherwise you might end up with the non-OS lens.
Hi pxpaul.

Are you saying that there is indeed an OS version of this lens? It is becoming hard to understand if this is so.

By the way, what is this "47th" ?

JP
01-30-2011, 04:25 PM   #55

47th St Photo
It's a store in New York
02-05-2011, 01:22 PM   #56
Pentaxian

Well, long story short, my non OS version was defective, wouldn't focus anywhere near infinity, not bad for within 30 feet. SO took it back and ended up with the OS version.

So , I've got samples.

The first one is at 400 mm of a structure 1 km (more than half a mile) away. Myabe you can get sharper, but I'm not sure how. It was taken on the tripod with a 2 second delay to prevent mirror shake.

The next one is of a couple guys on skidoos maybe 300 meters away, probably a bit more, auto focus, in lens OS turned on hand held. I'm shooting through trees and stuff, I don't know how it could be any better at that distance.

The last one is also hand held, full reach (400mm) in lens OS enabled and hand focused. The lens kept focussing on the wire instead of the bird in auto focus. Nothing wrong with this one either.

02-06-2011, 09:30 PM   #57

Yep - they do exist!

Well I may have been skeptical, but OS versions of the 120-400 and its companion 170-500 have definitely arrived in the USA at last and several reports are up.

It was hard to find out as there was so much confusion between the non-Pentax and Pentax versions even amongst the dealers!

Reports are that the in-lens stabilization may be a stop better than Pentax's in-camera, but also has the definite advantage of stabilizing the viewfinder image.

Mike
02-08-2011, 01:26 PM   #58

Now in stock in USA

B&H and others are reportedly receiving stocks of the new lens.

Mike
02-08-2011, 01:52 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I tried this sigma with k-7. The OS works when SR is turned off. The lens is not bad, however stiff zoom and average IQ made me buy sigma 70-200mm non OS
02-08-2011, 02:50 PM   #60
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stringmike Quote
B&H and others are reportedly receiving stocks of the new lens.

Mike
Yeah, I think it is just arriving right now. When I bought mine a couple of weeks ago from 47th st photo, I placed my buy it now price (offer) on ebay, but was told by a rep to wait to pay literally until the next day (a thursday) as the sigma rep was coming in with information - their first units arrived the following monday, so it was good timing! For a longer lens, the OS is definitely useful.