Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2010, 08:14 PM   #16
Forum Member

Original Poster

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Thanks everyone for your awesome replies. I'm definitely learning a lot about lenses here. I decided to go with the Ver. I 18-55mm as it fits my budget best right now. I will try to resist LBA...though my penchant for collecting will probably undermine my efforts. Guess I will see what subject matter I tend to shoot the most and then tailor future lens purchases toward those needs. Thanks again for the help, this place is awesome!

08-22-2010, 08:59 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can go broke chasing the quality new lenses. The older used lenses, although not as cheap as they once were, are still a pretty good bargain. Every now and again I see really nice M 50/f2 for $20-$30 (with a K1000 film body attached).

Also, a lot of folks here forget that Tokina use to build their lenses with Pentax mounts. There are quite a few pretty nice M28/f2.8 lenses available for around $20.

Pentax tokina items - Get great deals on Cameras Photo, Pentax items on eBay.com!

Taking some time to look, and wait for what seems to be a reasonable acquisition, can put a couple of primes in your kit for the cost of just a couple of lunches. These are great items to learn on. They may not be the most perfect optical solution ever made - but for the price its an 80% solution that you can live with. Tokina was started by 3 optical engineers from Nikon who wanted to build zooms and Nikon was not interested in zooms at that time.

Just a thought....
08-22-2010, 09:13 PM   #18
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
You can go broke chasing the quality new lenses. The older used lenses, although not as cheap as they once were, are still a pretty good bargain. Every now and again I see really nice M 50/f2 for $20-$30 (with a K1000 film body attached).

Also, a lot of folks here forget that Tokina use to build their lenses with Pentax mounts. There are quite a few pretty nice M28/f2.8 lenses available for around $20.

Pentax tokina items - Get great deals on Cameras Photo, Pentax items on eBay.com!

Taking some time to look, and wait for what seems to be a reasonable acquisition, can put a couple of primes in your kit for the cost of just a couple of lunches. These are great items to learn on. They may not be the most perfect optical solution ever made - but for the price its an 80% solution that you can live with. Tokina was started by 3 optical engineers from Nikon who wanted to build zooms and Nikon was not interested in zooms at that time.

Just a thought....
Cool, I will definitely check them out in the future. Thanks!
08-24-2010, 12:26 PM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for your helpful comments. I took dgaies up on his generous offer and have a minty 18-55 ver 1 coming my way.

08-24-2010, 12:43 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ninemm Quote
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for your helpful comments. I took dgaies up on his generous offer and have a minty 18-55 ver 1 coming my way.
Yeah, for $25 w/ the hood, how wrong can you go?
08-24-2010, 02:24 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Yeah, for $25 w/ the hood, how wrong can you go?
lol I think the hood alone costs twice as much

as long as you're both happy...
08-24-2010, 02:35 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Pentax people helping pentax people.

08-24-2010, 02:49 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pablom Quote
lol I think the hood alone costs twice as much

as long as you're both happy...
QuoteOriginally posted by kalison Quote
Pentax people helping pentax people.
Well, it wasn't doing anyone any good sitting unused in my closet
08-24-2010, 05:12 PM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
For versatility, the 18-55 is a good choice. For learning to produce images, I'd suggest a manual focus prime, 24, 35, 50-55; depending on main interests. It's easier to learn selective focus by focusing, methinks; and learning to recognize one frame size at a time is less confusing than thinking about zooming while considering all the other parameters.
08-24-2010, 05:29 PM   #25
Veteran Member

The 18-55 will be your work horse and that's why I recommended that. Now, that you have saved some money and have your 18-55, let me tell you, the real joy in DSLR ownership for me is in using a fast lens that has the ultimate IQ. If you are ok with manual focus you should consider the A 50/1.7.
08-24-2010, 05:35 PM   #26
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
The 18-55 will be your work horse and that's why I recommended that. Now, that you have saved some money and have your 18-55, let me tell you, the real joy in DSLR ownership for me is in using a fast lens that has the ultimate IQ. If you are ok with manual focus you should consider the A 50/1.7.
We'll see how manual focusing goes. Would the A 50/1.7 have better IQ than the AF 50mm I suggested in my original post?
08-24-2010, 05:44 PM   #27
Veteran Member

We'll see how manual focusing goes. Would the A 50/1.7 have better IQ than the AF 50mm I suggested in my original post?
The A50/1.7, F50/1.7 and FA50/1.7 (as well as the M50/1.7) all share the same optical formula and should therefore have the same IQ. The A is probably a little easier to manually focus than the F and FA.

Price-wise, the A50/1.7 typically sells for about $80, the F50/1.7 for about $200 and the FA50/1.7 for about $240 (depending on condition and your timing).
08-24-2010, 05:50 PM   #28
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
The A50/1.7, F50/1.7 and FA50/1.7 (as well as the M50/1.7) all share the same optical formula and should therefore have the same IQ. The A is probably a little easier to manually focus than the F and FA.

Price-wise, the A50/1.7 typically sells for about $80, the F50/1.7 for about $200 and the FA50/1.7 for about $240 (depending on condition and your timing).
You're quickly becoming my personal forum guide. Thanks for the input Dan.
08-24-2010, 05:51 PM   #29
Veteran Member

All three share the same optical formula and perform the same (so does the M version). I mentioned the 'A' just because of cost. I got the A to use with my film SLR for cost and for the metal exterior which matches the camera body (FA and F has plastic bodies).

If you can get the AF versions, you should get one, but they cost in excess of $200.

P.S: Oops, didn't see dgais's reply.....dang! even included the 'm' version in the brackets....that's just too weird
08-24-2010, 06:11 PM   #30
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pcarfan Quote
All three share the same optical formula and perform the same (so does the M version). I mentioned the 'A' just because of cost. I got the A to use with my film SLR for cost and for the metal exterior which matches the camera body (FA and F has plastic bodies).

If you can get the AF versions, you should get one, but they cost in excess of $200.

P.S: Oops, didn't see dgais's reply.....dang! even included the 'm' version in the brackets....that's just too weird
This version is the AF one I was referencing. There was/is a listing on the Marketplace asking $125 I think. SMC Pentax-FA 50mm F1.7 Lens Reviews - Pentax Lens Review Database