Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2010, 06:26 PM   #31
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ninemm Quote
This version is the AF one I was referencing. There was/is a listing on the Marketplace asking $125 I think. SMC Pentax-FA 50mm F1.7 Lens Reviews - Pentax Lens Review Database
If there was a FA50/1.7 listed for $125 (which I vaguely recall), it would have sold within minutes. I sold one last year for 275 and a few other have sold in the past month for between 240-250.

The least expensive Pentax AF 50mm prime is going to be a used F50/1.7. You should be able to get one for $200 in excellent condition. The FA50/1.7 tends to sell for a little more because it's a little more rare and some people prefer the look and feel (technically it also has additional info on the chip for use in the "P" mode, but I doubt that's why they sell for more).

08-24-2010, 09:31 PM   #32
Veteran Member

As mentioned above, AF lenses are easy, and costly (except for the kit zoom). Manual primes usually cost much less. The Pentax 50/1.7's are great lenses, and are also subject to demand. I got an M50/1.7 on the bay a couple weeks ago for US$50, and a M50/2 for about US$30. But I also just got a NEW nameless plastic PK-M-mount 50/2 (no company, no serial number) for US$5 that outperforms the M50/2 or so some test shots tell me. Another fine lens is the Helios-44 58/2, with legendary sharpness and busy bokeh. These cost about US$5 in Ukraine and Russia; they sell on the bay for around US$25-30 usually, although I just saw one bid up to EIGHTY SIX BUCKS! Was a shill involved there?

Anyway, remember that on your camera, any Fast Fifty (in the 50-55-58mm range) is a short tele / portrait lens. A 'normal' viewpoint is a bit shorter, in the 28mm (wide normal) to 37mm (long normal) range. And of course it's lots of fun working working wider (<20mm) and longer (>80mm). LBA will soon possess you. You are doomed. Welcome!
08-25-2010, 06:44 AM   #33
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
As mentioned above, AF lenses are easy, and costly (except for the kit zoom). Manual primes usually cost much less. The Pentax 50/1.7's are great lenses, and are also subject to demand. I got an M50/1.7 on the bay a couple weeks ago for US$50, and a M50/2 for about US$30. But I also just got a NEW nameless plastic PK-M-mount 50/2 (no company, no serial number) for US$5 that outperforms the M50/2 or so some test shots tell me. Another fine lens is the Helios-44 58/2, with legendary sharpness and busy bokeh. These cost about US$5 in Ukraine and Russia; they sell on the bay for around US$25-30 usually, although I just saw one bid up to EIGHTY SIX BUCKS! Was a shill involved there?

Anyway, remember that on your camera, any Fast Fifty (in the 50-55-58mm range) is a short tele / portrait lens. A 'normal' viewpoint is a bit shorter, in the 28mm (wide normal) to 37mm (long normal) range. And of course it's lots of fun working working wider (<20mm) and longer (>80mm). LBA will soon possess you. You are doomed. Welcome!
No! I will resist LBA! The fact that I came back to this thread after making my decision to talk about the 50 is not a good indication that's for sure.
08-25-2010, 07:22 AM   #34
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
No! I will resist LBA! The fact that I came back to this thread after making my decision to talk about the 50 is not a good indication that's for sure.
give it more than a month and let's see if you won't succumb to the temptation. I wish you luck !

08-25-2010, 08:10 AM   #35
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Ain't happening, no way....not with all these lens pushers here.

They post a thread with images saying this was taken with such and such a lens, after that you are just in for the ride until you get the same lens...this gets repeated again and again and again..........

Each and every one of them is a lens pusher here, but if you avoid the big kahuna's the damage will be less...yes! I am going to name names here...there is this guy called "jsherman999", avoid all his threads like the plague, your wallet will be happier for it. He doesn't stop with lenses either - even if your life depends on it, do not open that thread on full frame shots in the 'general' section, as those images are still haunting me, and if I act on my urges I am afraid the minister of war and finance at home could do serious harm to me - just do yourself a big favor and avoid his threads.

Then there is Asahiflex, ...he would post all these images taken with exotic manual lenses putting Mona Lisa to shame, and some of these exotic lenses being rare costs a ton too...lately, he had purchased some fabulous pentax AF lenses and is in the prowl with those - avoid him as well.

You are lucky, the guy who was pushing all the Russian gems have been inactive for a while, but unfortunatley, in his absence he had trained many worthy padawans who have resumed his work with all it's splendor - but, at least they don't cost an arm and a leg, but if they did, after seeing the images, you would almost feel like you can get away with a few less limbs - just stay away.

I feel like I've done my duty!

08-25-2010, 08:10 AM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ignored 18-55 for first few months, went out one day with just it.
Do think it might help in transition to a manual prime, and for what it is,
it images just fine.
Attached Images