Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-22-2010, 10:11 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I do all my macro work with Manual Focus. Of course the fact that I have the M 100 Dental Macro might have something to do with it. The limit switch would be a real help whenever I were to use the lens as, for example, a portrait lens. I would hate to wait while the beast cycles all the way from life size to infinity and back, and would end up using it MF anyway.
Yes, it's a bit annoying when the lens focus back and forth when taking portraits, but luckily the new DFA100WR's AF isn't too bad even it goes a whole round Most time I'd preset the focus and fire away, that's when the quick shift comes in handy.

I have never quite gotten into the mind state where I could not get the aperture I wanted by changing the shutter speed. I had to use a shutter priority only camera once and it is not much difference to aperture priority only if you look at it from the right position. The MZ-S tells you what the aperture is going to be, so change the shutter speed to get what you want. YMMV.
Same experience here. I used the DFA100WR on my Super Program in Tv mode, didn't feel restricted at all. As a matter of fact, I kinda like it in Tv mode 'cause it helps to make sure that I'd have enough light for a safe handheld speed

08-22-2010, 10:56 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have never quite gotten into the mind state where I could not get the aperture I wanted by changing the shutter speed. I had to use a shutter priority only camera once and it is not much difference to aperture priority only if you look at it from the right position. The MZ-S tells you what the aperture is going to be, so change the shutter speed to get what you want. YMMV.
I can't argue with that. I never investigated it very far. I am just so use to using Aperture priority that I simply bought a camera I could do so with. The fact that the camera came with some very nice lenses, dirt cheap, didn't hurt the proposition.

08-23-2010, 07:58 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I can't argue with that. I never investigated it very far. I am just so use to using Aperture priority that I simply bought a camera I could do so with. The fact that the camera came with some very nice lenses, dirt cheap, didn't hurt the proposition.

Aperture priority can actually keep your shutter speed higher in mixed lighting such as a soccer field with one goal in shadow. Pick an aperture that allows the minimum in the shadowed area and set it. The shutter speed will be the highest possible at that ISO at all times. The choice of program/aperture priority/shutter priority/manual (with help from the green button) modes are just for convenience.
08-23-2010, 09:48 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Many thank Y'all. I have a plethora of 100s myself (100mm f4 A, 90mm f2.5 Adaptol Tamron, 100mm f2.8 FA. I also have a daughter so the days of holding onto multiple lenses of the same focal length is over. I was in Costa Rica in a full downpour with my 50mm f2.8 F lens and a lens hood on a K10D, after that I think I'd like the DFA version. It is tough though as I do still shoot some film (LX , MZ-S,and Super Program) but not enough any longer to justify two autofocus lenses in this focal length.

Cheers,

Doug

08-23-2010, 01:34 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stemked Quote
Many thank Y'all. I have a plethora of 100s myself (100mm f4 A, 90mm f2.5 Adaptol Tamron, 100mm f2.8 FA. I also have a daughter so the days of holding onto multiple lenses of the same focal length is over. I was in Costa Rica in a full downpour with my 50mm f2.8 F lens and a lens hood on a K10D, after that I think I'd like the DFA version. It is tough though as I do still shoot some film (LX , MZ-S,and Super Program) but not enough any longer to justify two autofocus lenses in this focal length.

Cheers,

Doug
The DFA is usable on 24x36 - that's what the F indicates.