Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2010, 05:31 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
I guess you could call it a weakness but I prefer the word preference. I've done a lot of trading up to acquire that set. That said, I don't have anything against a good quality zoom. The DA*16-50 spends the most time on my camera.

Sorry, perhaps a poor choice of word on my part - but I was thinking about my own particular demon when I replied to the OP. My weakness being Tamron Adaptall-2 SP lenses, when I see one of these all reasoning fly the coop. I have most of the smaller ones but the bigger ticket items are gonna be awful hard to sneak into the house.

Thanks,

08-29-2010, 05:57 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
Sorry, perhaps a poor choice of word on my part - but I was thinking about my own particular demon when I replied to the OP. My weakness being Tamron Adaptall-2 SP lenses, when I see one of these all reasoning fly the coop. I have most of the smaller ones but the bigger ticket items are gonna be awful hard to sneak into the house.

Thanks,

You chose the right word if I'm being honest with myself. I just prefer to think of it as a preference.

08-29-2010, 10:19 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
You don't say what lenses you have, but look at JeffJS' profile for his lens list. He has a definite weakness for high quality primes and his primes alone cover just about any focal length shooting situations. You on the other hand sound as if you are just starting out (Sigma 10-20mm, not withstanding), I would suggest the Tamron zoom over the Pentax 35 for the versatility and very good optical quality. If later on down the road you find yourself shooting with 35mm focal length most of the time, I would think that would be a good time plunk down the money to buy the Pentax 35mm limited.

Thanks,
yup, I am indeed quite new and I definitely forgot to list my lenses!

my lenses are: DAL 18-55mm, M 50mm 1.7, vivitar CF 28mm 2.8, and sigma 10-20mm

the 40mm ltd prime Matt mentioned might come a bit close to my 50mm (although my 50mm is not AF), so I'm tempted to stick in the 35mm focal range.

ugh, yesterday I was leaning towards to 35mm, and now, i'm leaning towards the tamron. I wish there was a place I could just try them both out here (brisbane, Australia), but no one seems to carry many pentax-mount lenses in store here...
08-29-2010, 10:22 PM   #19
Site Supporter

My suggestion would be Tamron 28-75. I have a good sample of this lens and it is stellar. In my own opinion, DA 35/2.8 has virtually no advantages over Tamron. It has some, but they are not enough for me to suggest it. That is, of course, taking into account this statement of yours:

QuoteQuote:
For those of you who are curious, I shoot a variety of things, but mainly portraits and street shots

08-30-2010, 02:01 AM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Boris Quote
My suggestion would be Tamron 28-75. I have a good sample of this lens and it is stellar. In my own opinion, DA 35/2.8 has virtually no advantages over Tamron. It has some, but they are not enough for me to suggest it. That is, of course, taking into account this statement of yours:
yeah, makes sense. I don't currently shoot any macro, but that's just because I don't have a macro lens. If I got the DA 35mm it would allow me to explore the world of macro, which has always been an area of interest. But judging from what people have been saying, I'm starting to think that investing in a dedicated 90mm macro lens and going for the tamron would be a more expensive, but better option.
08-30-2010, 02:34 AM   #21

FF?

DA 35 on FF?

QuoteOriginally posted by JeffJS Quote
While 1:1 can be difficult to achieve with the DA35, I find it to be quite capable.

This is one of the very first photos I took with the lens and yes, this is the full frame.

08-30-2010, 02:45 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Sorry for the plug (but really, I get nothing out of it, 'cause none of my web sites is monetized in any way), but here you could find samples of DA 35/2.8 on film (FF) and make your own conclusion.
08-30-2010, 02:49 AM   #23
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ueda_masaki Quote
If I got the DA 35mm it would allow me to explore the world of macro, which has always been an area of interest...
That's correct, but only just. You see, you have to take into account the working distance, that is how close you have to get with your gear to the subject in order to shoot real macro. And the catch here is that the shorter the lens, the shorter is the working distance. Therefore you would be able to shoot macro but of either very brave or very immobile subjects. If you really want to try macro shooting then like you said, a lens with focal length of 90-100 mm might be worth starting with. It don't have to be an expensive lens, such as Tamron 90/2.8 macro. Even el-cheapo 100/3.5 (in many varieties, both AF and MF) can be put to good use.

Naturally, all of the above is my personal opinion.

08-30-2010, 06:46 AM   #24
Inactive Account

Sorry, I thought that might confuse. FF meaning the photo is not cropped (the bee photo, the rose is slightly cropped for positioning).