Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2007, 08:20 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My (New) A 35-105 f3.5 lens

Got this from UPS this morning. It came with the funky screw on cap, a R-8740 Skylight filter, and a Tiffen Polarizer filter. The attached flower pic was just a quick capture to get a feel for the 105mm end. Shot at ISO 200, f7.1, and 1/125 shutter. The polarizer was also on. Have no idea as to how to use the polarizer, it seems to make somewhat of a difference when you rotate it.

Any links you can give me on how to use it would be appreciated.

For $78.00 I don't think I'll be complaining about this purchase.

Regards,

Ken

Last edited by regken; 09-12-2007 at 08:06 PM.
08-27-2007, 08:29 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Haha looks like you're stocking up on those A zooms. How are you liking your A 70-210 so far?
08-27-2007, 08:42 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You're going to love this lens. And what a smokin deal. Rare for such a good lens to go so cheap on Ebay. It's a bit heavy but smooth and takes wonderful pictures. I liked mine a lot till I lent it to a friend and he dropped it. (anyone want a parts unit for $20??). That was a tough lesson learned.
I digress. As for the polarizer you simply turn it to adjust the intencity of the polarized (reflected light) that is coming into the lens. makes colours (particularly blue) more vibrant and reduces glare off windows, metal and water etc.

Have a look at this link:
Polarizers
08-27-2007, 08:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's great

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
Haha looks like you're stocking up on those A zooms. How are you liking your A 70-210 so far?
The American Folk festival had a 3 day run in Bangor Maine this past weekend and I used it a lot. The weather was terrible so not a lot of real keepers. Hope to post a few on my site this week. The 70-210 is just flat out great and I think the 35-105 is going to be even better as far as IQ is concerned. So for $204 I have covered the 35-210 range with 2 lenses. Both A series so I can use trap focus in TAV mode. Makes getting the shot very fast. When I have time to set up I'll go to my primes.

Regards,
Ken

08-27-2007, 10:43 AM   #5
Veteran Member

wait so this trap focus thing. How does that work out? You leave the camera on AF, hold down shutter and then the camera lets go when focus confirmation is achieved?

Argh, you guys are going to send me back into LBA remission. If i get a 35-105 it will overlap like 4 zooms I already have haha.
08-27-2007, 10:52 AM   #6
roy
Inactive Account

i've been wanting this lens for a long time. i saw your auction and said wow what a good price. i just have not wanted to lay out the cash for it.
08-27-2007, 11:22 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Fotopete and Roy

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
wait so this trap focus thing. How does that work out? You leave the camera on AF, hold down shutter and then the camera lets go when focus confirmation is achieved?

Argh, you guys are going to send me back into LBA remission. If i get a 35-105 it will overlap like 4 zooms I already have haha.
That's the way it works! When I see something I want to shot I point and click. If the camera doesn't fire I hold the shutter button down and rotate the focus ring until it does. It's about as close as you can get to a P & S with an old A or F lens. I set the aperture and shutter speed in TAV mode. I set the auto ISO to 100-640. I then take a test shot so the aperture and shutter settings give me an ISO at 200 or 300. If the light changes the camera will adjust the ISO up or down a couple of stops.

Roy, Thanks for not bidding!! I've made some good buys but this could be the best one yet.

Regards,

Ken

08-27-2007, 11:44 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote

Have a look at this link:
Polarizers
Peter,

Thanks for the link. Are you anywhere close to Hall's harbor, NS? One of the greatest photo op places I've ever see, need to get back up there soon.

Regards,

Ken
08-27-2007, 11:47 AM   #9
roy
Inactive Account

i think my 300/2.8 SP was a better buy and it's also the reason i didn't bid it. got to stoke up the paypal acc. congrats. my eye is on something else.
08-27-2007, 01:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Congrats on the new lens! Looks great!
08-27-2007, 02:12 PM   #11
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
Peter,

Thanks for the link. Are you anywhere close to Hall's harbor, NS? One of the greatest photo op places I've ever see, need to get back up there soon.

Regards,

Ken
Ken, Hall's harbour is about 1.5 hours from my home town. but i now live in Charlottetown. Yes it is one of the many great places to shoot nature around the Maritimes. This whole region offers a lot for the photographer in nature and historically. I'm just getting my feet wet here In Prince Edward Island and hope to post many pictures of the area over the coming year.

Look me up if you ever decide to come this way. I'm a territory manager so I travel this area extensively all year long.