Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-23-2010, 07:42 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Kiron 28-210mm f/3.8-5.6

I found a Kiron 28-210mm f/3.8-5.6 at a local Pawn Shop. It seems to be in good condition and everything works. I haven't purchased it yet, as it looked like it had been sitting on that shelf for some time and I wanted to find out some information about it first.

Has anyone here ever had any experience with this lens. I own a Kiron 80-200mm that is a little on the soft side (of coarse that could be because of the haze on the inside of the front element), but I still love the lens for it's beautiful bokah and good color rendition. I think the 28-210 would be a little more usefull to me since it goes down to 28mm.

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

08-23-2010, 08:23 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I don't see this lens in the third-party lens database yet- could you please add it?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-23-2010, 08:41 AM   #3

Original Poster
If I purchase one I will definitely add a review. Right now I'm just hoping someone has used it before and can tell me if it is any good / worth buying.
08-23-2010, 07:16 PM   #4

Original Poster
Has anyone at all out there ever used this lens, even once, that might have some insight?

08-24-2010, 07:46 AM   #5
Veteran Member

People call this lens "The Cult". you may want to google it. It was the best super-zoom in its era. As we know Kino Precision made very good lenses. This is a PK/A/R lens. I have one that I use a while ago. Very good results. Decent Macro at 1:4. It caught fungus and it was more expensive to clean it than the lens itself so I no longer use it and got discarded.
08-24-2010, 07:51 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for your input, I'm glad someone has used it. I'm probably going to pick it up today at lunch. I'll let everyone know what I think of it after I use it for a week or so.
08-24-2010, 08:50 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Don't expect miracles (it is a superzoom after all) but it is for sure a decent lens and was among the best zoom lenses around at the time of its release.

08-24-2010, 09:55 AM   #8

Original Poster
I'm not so much expecting miracles as I am simply expecting it to be better and more versatile then my Kiron 80-200mm. If it's not, up on ebay it goes. So FotoPete, you're from Toronto, I am too originally. Most of my family lives in Brampton.
08-24-2010, 08:14 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Haha yea been actually looking forward to how the Kiron 28-210 is. Buddy of mine talks alot about wanting to get one for his olympus.
08-25-2010, 08:17 PM   #10

Original Poster
I'll let you know what I think of it. If I like it, maybe your buddy will too. If I don't, maybe he would be interested in buying it from me. I'll let you know how it goes.
11-12-2010, 11:10 AM   #11
DAZ
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry I am late to this thread but I just ran across it when I was researching something else. I have this lens. Is there some specific question you may have?

DAZ
11-12-2010, 02:28 PM   #12

Original Poster
Wow, a little late aren't we. Well basically I was looking at one at the time and was wondering what other people thought of it. Did it take good pictures essentially. How useful was the range. Was it well built. Are there better lenses that can be purchased at the same price point vs the Kiron. Those are the types of answers I was looking for. I went ahead and purchased one for the hell of it because it was only $20. I'm honestly impressed with the results I've had and will write a review in the review section after I have had a better chance to test it properly.

What are your thoughts on the lens?
01-12-2011, 01:09 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by Damian Quote
Wow, a little late aren't we. Well basically I was looking at one at the time and was wondering what other people thought of it. Did it take good pictures essentially. How useful was the range. Was it well built. Are there better lenses that can be purchased at the same price point vs the Kiron. Those are the types of answers I was looking for. I went ahead and purchased one for the hell of it because it was only $20. I'm honestly impressed with the results I've had and will write a review in the review section after I have had a better chance to test it properly.

What are your thoughts on the lens?
I am even more late coming to this forum, but we cannot all be everywhere in a timely fashion, now can we? Huhmmmm...;-)

Whatever... ;-)

I have owned the Kiron 28-210 since about 1989. I thought a 28-200 lens would make a 'perfect' lens for pretty much all photography. So, when I happened onto the Kiron 28-210, I bought it as a "standard" lens for my Pentax ME Super, and used both for many photography projects until the ME Super started having problems. Being in this little Florida area, there was no help as far as repair...the camera folks I trusted to repair the ME Super's auto winder were unable to fix it properly, and I did not want to hand them the camera.

I have other cameras and lenses, but I want to be able to use the Kiron 28-210 again...on a digital camera. The Kiron lens has taken many a great photo for me. I paid a much higher price for the lens...new...when I bought it, and I have lovingly cared for it ever since. I only found out recently that it is considered the "Cult Classic" lens. Ironically, it seems that I have a knack for choosing "Cult" items. ;-)

Whatever... ;-)

I feel at least qualified to answer your questions:

1. wondering what other people thought of it

I LOVE IT!!!

2. Did it take good pictures essentially.

It took photos marvelously...at least mine did. It never gave me any trouble.
The optics were great....very clear. The zoom lock was fabulous.

3. How useful was the range.

The only other lens I seemed to need/use was a 400mm lens for photos of
race cars on the starting line at a 1/4-mile drag strip while at the far end.

4. Was it well built.

Like a tank...although I took real good care of mine...still do, and I have not
been able to use my Kiron for a number of years now.

5. Are there better lenses that can be purchased at the same price point vs
the Kiron.

Dunno...doubt it was the case when I bought the Kiron...but then again,
these days I am looking for another camera to put my Kiron on...not the
other way around. ;-)

The only 'down' side to the Kiron was the weight...but you'd have to keep in mind that I "chose" the ME Super for its 1/2000th shutter speed and small size/light weight...then added an auto winder and a hefty lens...hefting the lot became my new exercize program. Makes you wonder, huh? ;-) Uh...unless you realized what a good kit it really was!

I do not see how you could go too far wrong with the Kiron 28-210 IF the lens is in good working order and was treated nicely and respectfully. If it was drowned or dust-bowled...well, I wouldn't give too hoots for any lens treated in such a way...even the Kiron...but then again, I think the Kiron would handle it better than most other lenses...even today's modern lenses.

About today's modern lenses, the 'autofocus' capability is generally awful. Stupid me, I trusted 'autofocus' for most of my son's wedding photos (not a Pentax camera) and I suppose I 'got what I deserved' but most of what I got was not properly focused...and I am still very unhappy about it four years later...which is why I am looking at getting another Pentax camera for my Kiron 28-210 lens. As soon as I find one as fabulous as the "Cult" ME Super!!!

I hope you enjoy the Kiron as much as I have!! Take Care!

- Cat
01-13-2011, 08:06 PM   #14
DAZ
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It was reported that during the great forum crash of late that some treads may have been lost. From my memory I believe this tread has lost some of its replies.

DAZ