Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
08-26-2010, 01:39 PM   #16
Banned

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Indeed, there seem to be at least three versions. That's quite unexpected; I would imagine that Pentax sold not many FA* 85's so there would be no real need to update the design. Unless the first designs have inherent flaws, in which case I'm happy to own the most recent one
Probably mine is worth a fortune because it's rare

08-26-2010, 01:45 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
It was hand picked by some high Pentax official, so it's valuable anyway
08-26-2010, 02:30 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster

So now back to the mistery. I took some pics of my lens and hood. Lookt back on the pics here: guess what: There are at least 3 versions of the FA*85mm.

Look at the difference of my lens, at the bottom where there is de little markt for the aperture. On my lens it has no (how do I say it) second level it just rounds down to the black aperture-ring.

From my copy, as you can see has the oldest number I know that it is pprobably a first badge lens that was a present for a manager from pentax.
QuoteOriginally posted by Asahiflex Quote
Indeed, there seem to be at least three versions. That's quite unexpected; I would imagine that Pentax sold not many FA* 85's so there would be no real need to update the design. Unless the first designs have inherent flaws, in which case I'm happy to own the most recent one
Hmmm, so at least three slightly different FA*85 lenses and I presume at least two different hoods.

Version 1a: Older style hood attachment, without "silver lip" above the aperture ring (serial number 3011903, 301200x, 3012842, 3013599)
Version 1b: Older style hood attachment, with "silver lip" above the aperture ring (serial number 3014892, 3014937, 3015xxx, 3019043, 3023443, 3036773)
Version 2: Newer style hood attachment, with "silver lip" above the aperture ring (serial number 3739967)

I'm just surprised that there is no mention anywhere of a different model number for the different hood design. I'm almost glad I didn't end up finding (and paying a small fortune for) a FA*85 hood only to find out it wouldn't have fit my older FA*85.

Last edited by dgaies; 08-28-2010 at 05:19 PM. Reason: added specific serial numbers
08-26-2010, 02:46 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mine is worth a fortune because it's iq is unbelieveable.

08-26-2010, 04:42 PM - 1 Like   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
FWIW, it looks like not only is the hood mount slightly different, but the actual shape of the hood is slightly different as well.

On the older style hood (left) there is a "bump" near the base of the hood. On the newer style hood (right) has no bump and is pretty straight up until the point that it tapers into the mount.

08-27-2010, 09:27 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Hmmm, so at least three slightly different FA*85 lenses and I presume at least two different hoods.

Version 1a: Older style hood attachment, without "silver lip" above the aperture ring (serial number 301xxxx)
Version 1b: Older style hood attachment, with "silver lip" above the aperture ring (serial number 303xxxx)
Version 2: Newer style hood attachment, with "silver lip" above the aperture ring (serial number 373xxxx)

Mine has no. 3014892 and it already has the lip.
08-27-2010, 09:44 AM   #22
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I've got one of each hood, but both of the lenses themselves don't have the silver lip. Seems like Pentax felt that the minor cosmetic differences didn't warrant any new model numbers, since compatibility of the hoods remained unchanged.

My theory is that Pentax felt that the original hood was a didn't latch as well as it should, and therefore applied a quick fix.

In any case, I'm on the lookout for a third copy of this lens, as 95% of my photos are taken with it.

08-27-2010, 10:00 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I've got one of each hood, but both of the lenses themselves don't have the silver lip. Seems like Pentax felt that the minor cosmetic differences didn't warrant any new model numbers, since compatibility of the hoods remained unchanged.
Except that the bayonet mount on the lens/hood did change and the two hoods are not compatible. The newer style hood I have won't fit on the older style FA*85 I have. That's why I thought there should have been a model number difference between the two hoods.
08-27-2010, 11:47 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by blende8 Quote
Mine has no. 3014892 and it already has the lip.
Interesting. I guess there weren't many of the "no lip", older stype hood versions out there. I changed the original post to inlcude the specific serial numbers. Anyone else have a low serial number FA*85 with "no lip"?

Last edited by dgaies; 08-27-2010 at 03:01 PM.
08-27-2010, 02:14 PM   #25
Banned

Interesting. I guess there weren't many of the "no lip", older stype hood versions out there. I changed the original post to inlcude the specific serial numbers. Anyone else have a low serial number FA*85 without a "no lip"?
I'm interested too. Or do I have the only one in my design lens?
08-27-2010, 03:49 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm interested too. Or do I have the only one in my design lens?
Well, if anyone reading this has a "no lip" FA*85, please let us know
08-27-2010, 05:58 PM   #27
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Except that the bayonet mount on the lens/hood did change and the two hoods are not compatible. The newer style hood I have won't fit on the older style FA*85 I have. That's why I thought there should have been a model number difference between the two hoods.
Really? I could have sworn I've tried interchanging mine.

Another correction: my other 85mm (the one with the newer hood) does have the lip above the aperture ring.

So does this mean that my old 85mm is special? (s/n is 3013599 fyi - any meaning to that?)

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-27-2010, 06:06 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I have the 1b version,bought in Germany in mid of the 90.
the hoodchange was approx. 1997/98.
All types were available in Europe.
The hoods are not to order anymore.
And the biggest problem was,the barrel owns lead!
same for the hood,so it was early not to order in europe.
my hood is broken 4 times,i repaired it by my self.
but it sucks....
anybod owns one for me?
100 bucks?
Best Regards,Andy
08-27-2010, 06:09 PM   #29
Veteran Member

than you have the first series lens,with very short production run.
i have one of the first lenses of the second production.
the new hood have the more simple mount and it breaks not so easy
08-27-2010, 06:17 PM   #30
Administrator
Site Webmaster

So my quest to get another copy of a 301xxxx is next to hopeless?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: