Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-03-2010, 06:39 AM   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
so if you are using a 31mm for full length, why all the interest in 200mm, is it for background isolation only?
I never said I intended on soley using a 200mm lens for my work, i'm just presenting Omega Leader with my perspective on the practicalities of lens selection. I was just presenting a scenario where I found using a longer lens was beneficial. I typically use my SMCP-K 50mm f/1.2 for a large portion of my studio and on location portraiture photography due to its superspeed aperture and the FOV it provides me, not to mention the ability to mix different light sources tungsten/flash

using a longer lens will include less of the building if you want full body for the subject, as opposed to moving out, and going longer, surely this is a case for moving in and going wider isn't it?
I made use of my subject to background ratios to maintain a relationship with the subject and the building behind him. All the longer lens enabled me to do was stay out of the way of incoming traffic, The image would have been essentially the same with a shorter focal length however that would have put me in a hazardous situation.

I can't argue there, but have you tried an extender on the camera mounted flash, like a better beamer? My limited understanding of the flash communication is that it is one way, from the body mounted flash to the remote ones
The most important thing about doing creative flash work is getting the flash off the camera. I very rarely use direct flash mounted on the camera albeit in cases when I'm using a ring flash, besides ring flash has a unique look all of it's own.

remote triggering of flash units expands the possibilities of lighting styles that can be used by a photographer. Short lighting, Broad lighting, diffusion effects. It is very rare for professional portraiture photographers to use direct on camera flash.

09-04-2010, 07:48 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by RonHendriks1966 Quote
To be honest I think it is stupit to make portraits with real long lenses. I use the DA40mm, DA*55mm, FA*85mm and DA*50-135mm for it. But on the other hand their your pictures and that's all that matters.

I did some portraits with a Sigma 170-500mm lens.

This one at 430mm and flash on wireless trigger:

This one at 500mm, also flash wireless.

So anything is possible. Bye a lens and enjoy it.
I don't think it is stupid at all to use a really long lens for portraits. It might be awkward and more difficult in some ways but not stupid. This is especially true when you get results like those Ron produced above. I like the look, the flattened perspective of these shots. I use my M 400/5.6 once in a while just for fun. I often use my K 200/2.5 for ambush portraits.

Tom G