Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2010, 03:59 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Weather Resistant Lenses

I know that the WR series (only three so far?) are weather resistant, but I am wondering if there are other lenses which are also weather resistant. I seem to recall reading somewhere in the forum that the DA* lenses are weatehr resistant... true or not?

Reasoning: I have a weather resistant camera body but no weather resistant lenses, which rather makes nonsense of the whole deal. Not that I go out in storms or anything, but I do go to coastal areas and salt spray getting into lenses cannot possibly do them any good, plus occasional venturing out in light rain or sprinkly weather... I keep the cam as protected as I can, but would prefer to have it all sealed as much as possible.

I was thinking of just getting the two kit WR lenses but... if there's something better...

08-28-2010, 04:23 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

yes, all DA*s are weather resistant You can always get the 18-55 WR and sell your 18-55 to get a WR kit.
08-28-2010, 04:23 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
All DA* lenses are weather sealed (not just "weather resistant" - supposedly that's worse) and also have a special coating on their front elements that makes them more resistant to dust and scratches.

DA* lenses further implement internal zoom and internal focusing (with the exception of the DA* 55mm), which makes them even safer to use in harsh weather.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-28-2010, 04:36 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks, Andi and Adam... I've been mizzling for ages about this, especially since I decided to dispense with the Kx. I think, then, that the DA* lenses are in my sights

08-28-2010, 05:10 PM   #5
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kyteflyer Quote
I have a weather resistant camera body but no weather resistant lenses, which rather makes nonsense of the whole deal. Not that I go out in storms or anything, but I do go to coastal areas and salt spray getting into lenses cannot possibly do them any good, plus occasional venturing out in light rain or sprinkly weather... I keep the cam as protected as I can, but would prefer to have it all sealed as much as possible.
kiteflyer,
I may offer another perspective. I have a WR camera body but none of my lenses are WR although I work a lot outdoor including near the sea. (I have shot in the rough outdoor for over 10 years. I never lost any P&S and I do not intend to loose my K-7 and lenses.)

If I could, off course, I would choose some WR lenses. But some lenses are simply not available as WR while others are too pricy down under. An example is the 18-250mm. I need an all-around lens for a number of activities and there is no WR all-around lens. In turn I selected the solid DA18-250mm (no HSM, no OS), and I take great care of the lens. I used it to date in stormy subtropical conditions, on the beach, in a dinghy, ... The key is TLC: tender, love and care of the lens.

Also some solid prime lenses are very sturdy and can be regarded as all weather, although they are not rated WR or DA*. An example is the Voigtlander Notkon 58mm. This is a tank and I have no concern to take it out in the rough. On the the other hand, there are many lenses that I would never take in rough conditions.

My own experience with the weather conditions is that two tricky situations are:
(1) changing lenses, and
(2) zoom "pumping".

First swapping lenses is possibly the most risky operation in bad weather. Because you may contaminate both the camera body and the lens. It does not matter is the lens and body are WR. In rainy, dusty, salty conditions, I try to avoid swapping lenses outdoor unless I can find a "clean" environment. This is Rule No. 1 and by far the most imporant. Second, with the long zoom (eg 18-250mm), the zoom in/out action acts like a pumping action and there is always the risk to have dust/dirst entering the mechanism.

Everyone has different needs. Here is a Queensland's experience...

Last edited by hcc; 08-28-2010 at 07:49 PM.
08-28-2010, 07:13 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
All good thoughts there. As you see from my Sig I have the Tamron 18-250 which is rarely on the camera of late :-/ If I *must* do a lens change, I get back in the car and do it there, away from the spray, dirt and sand. It doesnt solve all the issues but it does solve some of them. I'm never far from the car, being old and decrepit, so getting away from the elements isn't hard.

UI've just been looking at the specs of the DA* lenses and it seems most have this SDM thing which seems to have added weight to them. So I've decided not to bother. So much for my original question. I'll just be very careful, and maybe use a plastic bag as required!
08-31-2010, 10:31 PM   #7

Photos: Albums
are there any 3rd party WR lenses?
09-01-2010, 04:42 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by redeleon Quote
are there any 3rd party WR lenses?
Nope, so far no 3rd party manufacturer has released WR lenses. Probably because with the other brands, you have to shell a fortune for a partially WR body.

The DFA 100 mm macro WR, 18-55 WR, 55-200 WR and all DA* lenses are fully resistant. Despite what some rumours say, even the non-DA* have the water repelling coatings, and all can survive harsh conditions. I've submitted my 18-55 WR to sand, snow, rain, and a 2 years old niece without trouble.