Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2010, 10:09 PM   #16
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
The Tak ISN'T a rebranded Pentax:

All Pentax lenses were originally called Pentax Takumars, until they dropped the Takumar years and years later.

In other words, the Taks are older, more classic glass, and as such, are more collectible, but mostly if they're really the older Taks.
It May be a Takumar A lens, which would be a K mount.

Takumar-A 70-200mm F4 Macro Lens Reviews - Pentax Lens Review Database

08-30-2010, 02:39 AM   #17
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Takumar is an older brand than Pentax. The Pentax brand only started being used on K mount lenses. Even the bayonet Takumars don't use Pentax on the same line as Takumar. The company name was Asahi both for the Takumars and for the early Pentax lenses. Later Asahi changed their name to Pentax and now Hoya owns the Pentax brand.
This is confusing stuff, because wasn't it different for the film bodies, in that Pentax was used on the M42 Spotties early on?
08-30-2010, 03:40 AM   #18
Veteran Member

This is confusing stuff, because wasn't it different for the film bodies, in that Pentax was used on the M42 Spotties early on?
It is simple really. Asahi was company name from the start. They made slr and named it pentax. (camera's name). (Asahi pentax is better known name).

Later company changed its name to Pentax from Asahi.

Takumars were lense brand name for Asahi cameras. (Named after Takuma Kajiwara who (i think) was relative to company president (i might be wrong on this) ).
08-30-2010, 10:22 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
f/5.6 sounds a little too slow for a tele, is that right?
That's usually the dividing line between small & cheap versus huge and expensive. That is, the typical consumer model telephoto (eg, DA50-200, DA55-300, Tamron & Sigma 70-300) has a max aperture of f/5.6 at the long end (the one you mention is actually f/5.6 at the short end; it's half a stop slower still at the long end). Zooms with a max aperture of f/4 or better at the long end are usually twice as big/heavy and many times more expensive.

Last edited by Marc Sabatella; 09-01-2010 at 11:28 AM.
08-31-2010, 08:47 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You're right that M42 bodies used the Pentax brand, but their M42 lenses only used the Takumar name. So, looking at lenses, the Pentax brand first showed up on them in the 70s when the bayonet mount was introduced. Looking at bodies, Pentax showed up first on the M42 bodies, but Takumar had already been used on the lenses of earlier Asahiflex cameras. See aohc.it for lots of historical details.

Last edited by Laurentiu Cristofor; 08-31-2010 at 08:48 PM. Reason: Added clarification about use of Takumar on Asahiflex lenses
08-31-2010, 10:13 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, all the answers are very informative. As I'm new to both SLRs and Pentax, I comprehend better the different brand names. Thanks everybody.

For me, I settled on ordering an original Pentax 100-300mm FA f/4.7 from the used market to complement my kit lens. I saw good opinions on it about the optical quality, and although the construction is cheap (and silver looks cheesy ), I paid a real bargain on it (~US$70). Here in Brazil there's plenty people with used Pentax gear from the 35mm days and no good reference how much is it worth.

Next step will be hunting after primes! There are many Pentaxes, Takumars, Vivitars and general M42 primes in the used market for cheap, including some exotics ones, I guess some are Soviet spin-offs.

Last edited by hcarvalhoalves; 08-31-2010 at 10:23 PM.
09-01-2010, 09:09 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Good job getting that 100-300. It does look and feel a bit flimsy, but it works much better than it looks. It usually sells for around $100 or more in US, so I'd say you got it at a good price.
09-01-2010, 07:46 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Tested the FA 100-300mm as it arrived. Got lucky on buying one in mint condition. Nice lenses! It's kinda plastic but in this case is good, means it's lightweight.

Here's a test shot:

IMGP0190 por hcarvalhoalves, no Flickr

I like the reach and the DOF you can get at f/4.7. Will be very appropriate as my objective is shooting outdoors, on hiking and wildlife.

Thanks on the help everybody.

09-01-2010, 10:26 PM   #24
Veteran Member

The thing I like about the 100-300 is an aspect that is usually considered a defect - the fact that the front element rotates when focusing. I focus manually and I can stabilize the lens better if I hold it by the rim of the hood and rotate it to focus (I use a metallic hood with this lens - the front element is pretty exposed otherwise). I really like focusing this way.
09-01-2010, 11:07 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The thing I like about the 100-300 is an aspect that is usually considered a defect - the fact that the front element rotates when focusing. I focus manually and I can stabilize the lens better if I hold it by the rim of the hood and rotate it to focus (I use a metallic hood with this lens - the front element is pretty exposed otherwise). I really like focusing this way.
What's a good hood for these lenses? I believe it can't be of the flower type, as the thing rotates. But which model has a good size for not causing vignetting?
09-01-2010, 11:14 PM   #26

Good job getting that 100-300. It does look and feel a bit flimsy, but it works much better than it looks. It usually sells for around $100 or more in US, so I'd say you got it at a good price.
i just picked one up for $100 also, in very good condition.

yes, my first though was that it was as flimsy as hell (compared with all the other lenses i have and the sigma 150-500 i tested recently) but i dont mind it being lightweight!

Anyone have any recommendations of good teleconverter options for this zoom?
09-02-2010, 04:35 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Played with the FA 100-300mm today. Nice reach (as it's actually a 150-450mm on APS-C) and surprisingly sharp images!

IMGP0281 por hcarvalhoalves, no Flickr

IMGP0300 por hcarvalhoalves, no Flickr

IMGP0310 por hcarvalhoalves, no Flickr

Could even reach a plane (not cropped)

IMGP0312 por hcarvalhoalves, no Flickr

Plus, manual focus on it is a breeze, the focus ring covers a big range and is easy to make fine adjustments, it only gets hard between 7-15 meters before it goes to infinity.

I look forward to shooting in the wild with this one. For the price I paid, it's amazing. Recommended!
09-02-2010, 09:21 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by hcarvalhoalves Quote
What's a good hood for these lenses? I believe it can't be of the flower type, as the thing rotates. But which model has a good size for not causing vignetting?
I use this hood and I am very happy with it. This is the seller I got it from, but you can look around and there are others selling similar hoods, if you need one closer to your location. It's very solid and the color matches well that of other black metallic lenses I have. I know it doesn't quite match the silver FA100-300, but I recommend it anyway.

Manual focus is better on this lens than on the DA55-300 because the focus ring has a longer throw - and it's auto focus too, if needed. I'm glad you got a good copy - you'll probably not need another budget 300mm zoom.

Also try it out at 135-150mm for portraits - I was impressed how sharp it is in that range.

The flimsiness impression is due to its longer length - I compared it to my DA 50-200, and it's about the same build quality.

It's also sharp enough at 300mm: