Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2010, 01:49 PM   #1

Stolen Gear!

Hi all-

I don't expect that anyone will find my stuff, but figured a post was worth the effort. If I'm in the wrong category, please move my post---

Last Wednesday, my K-mount kit was stolen from my residence. In it were the following lenses:
SMC "K" 24mm f2.8
SMC-A 50mm f2
SMC-M 100mm f2.8

Along with several accessories, a Pentax Right Angle Finder, and a Vivitar 3800N body, lots of filters, etc.

If you see a kit like this being offered on your local Craigslist, please give me a heads up. I figure the 24 and 100 are rather uncommon, so hopefully they draw attention if they're being hawked.

Thanks,
Andrew

08-29-2010, 01:52 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Aww that sucks. I know the feeling. My kit was stolen in China, camera and all :-(. I hope someone sees the kit!

The best of luck akope!
08-29-2010, 02:32 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
hi, Andrew, you from Ames? I am here in Ames as well. I will definitely keep my eyes out for you.
what side of town do you live? got anybody else you know that shoots Pentax? I got a K-7 for sale
08-29-2010, 02:48 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Sorry for the loss. It really stinks when you lose your toys to some dirt bag. I don't know how many pawn shops are in Ames but thats the first place, alongs with CL, I would check if my kit took a walk. I hope you are sufficiently well off that you can enjoy the restocking process.

08-29-2010, 03:00 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by luke0622 Quote
hi, Andrew, you from Ames? I am here in Ames as well. I will definitely keep my eyes out for you.
what side of town do you live? got anybody else you know that shoots Pentax? I got a K-7 for sale
Hey Luke-

I'm in Ames- I live over off the west end of Main Street...

I know another guy here in town that shoots Pentax, but I think he's 'happy' with his K200D.

I'd be interested in the K7 if I didn't have to replace all my lenses. I'm beyond pissed off about the whole deal... especially the K24 and the M100. Those were both awesome lenses.

I filed a police report this afternoon, and the pawn shops in Ames have to hold things for a period of time, and report their purchases to the police too. I was down at Mister Money looking in the windows, and realized people were looking funny at me, so I decided to come home. LOL!

My biggest fear is that they just tossed it when they realized it wasn't a digital camera. I checked area dumpsters, and again, got some strange looks.

I appreciate you keeping your eyes peeled.

Also, if you're interested, I'm the prez of the Ames Camera Club-- you're more than welcome to attend a meeting/join if you like- We generally meet the 2nd Thursday of the month, between September and May, in the Ames Public Library "Community Room."
08-29-2010, 03:04 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Sorry for the loss. It really stinks when you lose your toys to some dirt bag. I don't know how many pawn shops are in Ames but thats the first place, alongs with CL, I would check if my kit took a walk. I hope you are sufficiently well off that you can enjoy the restocking process.
Thanks--

I wouldn't call myself sufficiently well off to replace the stuff, but I'll find a way to do it.

I just realized that I won an MX body with the 50/1.7 and a 28/2.8, so at least I'll be able to operate in a couple days- I've got to get another K24 and an M100 though... Man I liked those lenses!

I just realized I had the original hood for my Super Tak 50mm 1.4 in there too, as well as a set of original Asahi filters, and an original Pentax K to M42 adapter.
08-29-2010, 03:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by akope Quote
Hi all-

I don't expect that anyone will find my stuff, but figured a post was worth the effort. If I'm in the wrong category, please move my post---

Last Wednesday, my K-mount kit was stolen from my residence. In it were the following lenses:
SMC "K" 24mm f2.8
SMC-A 50mm f2
SMC-M 100mm f2.8

Along with several accessories, a Pentax Right Angle Finder, and a Vivitar 3800N body, lots of filters, etc.

If you see a kit like this being offered on your local Craigslist, please give me a heads up. I figure the 24 and 100 are rather uncommon, so hopefully they draw attention if they're being hawked.

Thanks,
Andrew
I'll keep an eye out, here in Cedar Rapids.

08-29-2010, 09:46 PM   #8
Veteran Member

akope,

I will definitely try to remember that club thing, I might go if I have time.
Oh yeah, I am thinking about putting a few manual lenses with whoever purchase my K-7, need some money for my Nikon lens right now. By the way, I am not leaving Pentax... Just trying to get a good Nikon Setup.

Let me know

Luke
515-664-2879
08-30-2010, 06:36 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks Luke!!

I called the local pawn shops today, and they didn't have anything. The people there seemed of "questionable integrity" so I'll probably keep an eye out for them being sold too.

I didn't realize how hard it would be to find another K24, or M100. I guess I play the waiting game!

Andrew
08-30-2010, 06:47 PM   #10
Site Supporter

The K24 and the M100, while not rare, aren't the most common lenses. Keep a look out in the usual places, bay, local pawnshops and Craigs etc.
10-09-2011, 01:28 PM   #11

Original Poster
Ever wonder what would happen if you left your camera gear outside, on the ground, for a whole year? Yeah, me either, but my camera gear has been found!

It was about 70 yards from my front door. Whoever took it went to the end of my street (A dead end) pilfered through it, and then just tossed down into the woods, near some railroad tracks.

A friend of mine that recently moved here for school was doing a design project down there, and I jokingly told him to keep his eyes peeled for a camera bag. He calls me a couple of days later, and said he found it! Here's what the contents look like, spending one full year, and one full weather cycle outside, on the ground.

My M 100 wasn't in the bag, so the next day, we went to where he found the bag, scratched around a bit, and found the 100mm lens! It spent the year outside the bag!

The camera (Vivitar 3800N) is trash, but the lenses seem like they will work. I took apart the M 100 and cleaned all the dirt out of it, but I didn't clean the optics yet. I'm going to do a project with this equipment, as is.

There is some fungus in 24 and 100mm lenses, but they are otherwise fine. You can't even tell the A 50 was outside. My circular polarizers are shot, and the right angle finder is still missing, but who cares- I never thought I'd see any of this stuff again!

Sorry for the old bump, but I figured y'all might get a kick out of this!

Andrew
10-09-2011, 02:56 PM   #12
Veteran Member

That's about what the Minolta kit I saw at Goodwill this past week looked like. Nasty. Are you going to try to salvage the camera and the lenses? Maybe Eric can be of help? It's a shame what they did. They could have at least tossed them at a thrift store or something. That's just criminally sad and stupid. What a waste of good gear...
10-09-2011, 03:12 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Congratulations on their discovery and return! Had you replaced any of the lenses? Too bad about the other stuff, but we know what's important, eh?
10-09-2011, 03:20 PM   #14
Site Supporter

I don't know if it is worth it or not but you may consider sending the 100 and 24 to Eric for a CLA.
10-10-2011, 08:18 AM   #15
Banned

SMC "K" 24mm f2.8
SMC-A 50mm f2
SMC-M 100mm f2.8

Ever wonder what would happen if you left your camera gear outside, on the ground, for a whole year? Yeah, me either, but my camera gear has been found!

It was about 70 yards from my front door. Whoever took it went to the end of my street (A dead end) pilfered through it, and then just tossed down into the woods, near some railroad tracks.
Well good for you to have it all back!

To be honest, If I where a thief, I would toss it back also.