Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2010, 11:52 PM   #1

Best m42 adaptor

Hey there, I'm new to the forum, and the world of dslr photography. But I've been shooting with film for a few years. I picked up a k10d a few weeks ago, and I ordered a m42 to k mount adaptor on ebay. It goes on and off fine, but all my lenses screw in "upside down", the focus indicator ends up at the bottom of the camera. Does the genuine adapter place the focus indicator at the top of the camera where it should be? or is there another third party adapter that does?

Normally this isn;t an issue, but I would like to be able to see roughly what the focus is at and the aperature with some of my lenses. I hope to eventually becoma an active member on here, and learn more about dslr photography, but I'd love to be able to pull focus easier with my m42 lenses.

Any help or recommendations are greatly appreciated, as well as personal experiences with adaptors. Also, sorry if this in the wrong section, I've only taken a quick peek though the forums.

08-30-2010, 11:55 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
That's weird. All my flush fit adapters (5) set the lens right way up. Not sure if they are all actual Pentax ones.
Maybe you have an Australian version
Pete
08-31-2010, 12:25 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
M42-PK adaptor? Isn't the Pentax made the best already?
08-31-2010, 12:28 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Make sure you source a genuine Pentax K mount adapter. Part number 30120.

08-31-2010, 12:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
This is why you need to buy the genuine Pentax adapter. There's not much you can do besides shimming the adapter, which would alter infinity focus. Just chalk this up to a lesson learned and purchase the genuine Pentax one.
08-31-2010, 01:58 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Heed these comments!

I've an early "Made in Japan" adapter for my K-x which puts my 50mm F1.4 Takumar about 1/4 turn out of wack...very annoying! What's more, lense removal from the camera body is a process...the lense unscrews, then fiddling with the adapter to get it off.

I've been looking for a genuine article now for some time....one day! Note that infinity focus can be an issue with aftermarket adapters..much discussion about this in the forum.

I'm recent to the forum also, but have found it to be a GEM!

Cheers
08-31-2010, 02:13 AM   #7
Veteran Member

The best M42 adaptor is made by Kindai in Japan. It is very expensive and hard to get outside Japan.

08-31-2010, 05:11 AM   #8
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by bill. Quote
Hey there, I'm new to the forum, and the world of dslr photography. But I've been shooting with film for a few years. I picked up a k10d a few weeks ago, and I ordered a m42 to k mount adaptor on ebay. It goes on and off fine, but all my lenses screw in "upside down", the focus indicator ends up at the bottom of the camera. Does the genuine adapter place the focus indicator at the top of the camera where it should be? or is there another third party adapter that does?

Normally this isn;t an issue, but I would like to be able to see roughly what the focus is at and the aperature with some of my lenses. I hope to eventually becoma an active member on here, and learn more about dslr photography, but I'd love to be able to pull focus easier with my m42 lenses.

Any help or recommendations are greatly appreciated, as well as personal experiences with adaptors. Also, sorry if this in the wrong section, I've only taken a quick peek though the forums.
I never heard of a generic being off 180 degrees, but I've definitely heard of them being significantly off--including the two that I own, which I don't use.
08-31-2010, 10:34 AM   #9
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ddhytz Quote
The best M42 adaptor is made by Kindai in Japan. It is very expensive and hard to get outside Japan.
More about this adaptor ? Is it special ? (A pict of the thing could help)

@Bill : As told by previous posters. Get the genuine Pentax adapter. No problem.

I own two. I pulled off the screw and spring, so my M42 lenses are K-mount and changing lenses is pretty fast.

Hope this helps.
08-31-2010, 04:34 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Just to properly adjust expectations...

Even the genuine Pentax M42 adapter does not always register the focus index mark to top dead center. The same is true for many M42 camera bodies. One of my Pentax adapters tilts most lenses about 10 degrees to the right. The other is pretty much on most of my lenses, but still a few degrees off for the Helios 44M. Both my Mamiya 1000DTL and Ricoh Singlex TLS bodies are a few degrees to the right with the lenses that came with those cameras.

180 degrees?

Steve
08-31-2010, 04:42 PM   #11
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Just to properly adjust expectations...

Even the genuine Pentax M42 adapter does not always register the focus index mark to top dead center. One of my Pentax adapters tilts most lenses about 10 degrees to the right.

180 degrees?

Steve
Same here, but 10 degrees too far to the right (when looking down at it) is no big deal, as you well know.

The Bowers and others can be ridiculous though.
08-31-2010, 05:16 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
There's not much you can do besides shimming the adapter, which would alter infinity focus.
Actually, if you shim the adapter so nothing prevents the lens from seating on the normal surfaces it does not affect infinity focus as the registry distance isn't changed - it simply allows the adapter threads to seat at a different rotational position relative to the aperture index.

I normally shim so that the aperture numbers are at the 2 or 10 o'clock position so the index mark isn't hidden under the $#@$% bulge for the flash. A thin o-ring of the proper diameter works well - a tight rubber band may suffice.

Let me repeat that: if the lens seats on the normal mounting surfaces, no change in focus occurs.

H2
09-01-2010, 01:42 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sherwood Quote
More about this adaptor ? Is it special ? (A pict of the thing could help)

This is a picture of Kindai M42 adaptor. It is more precisely machined than Pentax one. Its inner flange depresses the stopdown pin of some M42 lenses that do not have auto/manual lever. It costs about $100 or more.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Last edited by ddhytz; 09-01-2010 at 03:02 AM.
09-01-2010, 02:25 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Hmm! The infinity focus thing is more a funtion of the lense..in particular the rear element extension from the lense body fouling internals on the camera I thought (new to this M42 lense thing...always had K-mount in the past).

Adding shims would be similar in effect, although miniscule, to adding an extension tube I guess!

Just thinking out loud...or on the keypad anyway!

Cheers

Paddy
09-01-2010, 10:09 AM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ddhytz Quote
This is a picture of Kindai M42 adaptor. It is more precisely machined than Pentax one. Its inner flange depresses the stopdown pin of some M42 lenses that do not have auto/manual lever. It costs about $100 or more.
Interesting ! Surely useful with auto aperture lenses lacking the A/M switch (the issue is not always as easy to fix as with the Helios44-M4...M7 !)

OTOH, using this adaptor with a lens having A/M switch may be a disadvantage, as the switch becomes useless...