Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2010, 08:15 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mtroute Quote
i just looked at the Gitzo website, what a confusing mess of a site. I have no idea what gitzo tripod I would want to buy and the website does absolutely nothing to help me with that.

Any Idea what I would would buy if I wanted a general purpose, aluminum, non-rugged tripod for use indoors with wide angle lenses?
For Gitzo, you basically have to determine the closed length, extended height with & without column extended, and the price you can swallow (Carbon, Basalt, Aluminum) then you will be able to fine the tripod from their tables. Or better yet, used aluminum Gitzo can be had cheaply from eBay. For wide angle, series 1 will do, but a tall one will be rare.

08-31-2010, 08:53 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Aside from great tripods, that is the other thing gitzo are great at - completely renaming all of their tripod lines and model numbers so you can't compare with older models without a ton of hard work! They do basically comedown to type - cf, basalt, aulminum - and size - series 1 2 or 3. Newer models do generally get small improvements in the twist locks and such as well.
08-31-2010, 10:43 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
If I am not mistaken, current Gitzo use different bushings which are water safe now.
Yes, the replacement ones I installed have stood up to many immersions.
09-01-2010, 02:16 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dasuhu Quote
Hmm my tripod already weighs 12.5lbs. Sits sturdy enough, I hope.
If you could suspend your kit bag directly beneath your centre column, you are effectively transferring the centre of gravity where it should be; beneath the camera. At the same time, the kit bag hanging hooked on to each leg of the tripod, puts opposing tension on the tripod, creating a bracing effect. This adds extra stiffness to your tripod and knowing where your kit is - hanging suspended in mid air - you tend to move around more carefully.

Thanks,

09-01-2010, 02:36 AM   #20
Pentaxian

I started off with a Manfrotto 190 CSX carbon fiber tripod with flip locks. Then bought a taller aluminum Giottos with a cross bar that is sturdier than the CSX190 and weighs more. It comes iwth rubber caps that slip off spike feet that are long enough to really bite in the ground. Works great from the car where i don't have to carry it more than a coupla blocks. So i use it all the time but have also experienced the slightly loose twist lock occasionally.

Although the Manfrotto carbon fiber tripod is lighter weight and not as rigid the Giottos, its flip locks never come loose on me, when they are flipped, they are tight. They are the adjustable kind, but after 2 years, they have yet to loosen up on me, tight every time. They take up a bit more room, but apparently, unless one has the Gitzo twist locks, occasional loose twist locks are probably going to occur with many other brands of them. On the other hand, many cheaper brands of flip locks are not adjustable, when they wear out, i guess one has to toss the tripod.
09-01-2010, 02:55 AM   #21
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have a couple of tripods, the aluminum Manfrotto 055 is the most often used. It's now over 10 years old. Removable center column, with a small ball head (stored on the bottom of the column) that can be put on top for close ground work with the legs flat. It uses turn knob locks that are a bit slow to lock/unlock but never have an issue with being solid. If the legs could hold my weight, I'm sure the locks would hold solid.

I've put the thing in rivers, the ocean (salt water!) dropped it off a cliff, done just about everything to it and it's always held up fine.

Back on the OP's topic, I'm not hopeful the lens will be worth repairing. I had service done on a much more expensive lens that was dropped and the focus was really stiff. AF wouldn't work. It was worth getting done and cost me $450.00 to get repaired. it didn't have any loose parts and the barrel was metal. All that happened inside was the cam that fits in the focus barrel slot had become bent. That inner barrel was replaced and the focus re-adjusted. With loose parts inside the DA*, I suspect you're looking at more damage than mine had.
09-01-2010, 03:20 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Sounds like the the internal element has been dislodged, I did pretty much that to my 50-135*.

But I managed to get a direct replacement under warranty (please don't ask how)

Most likely for repair it will have to go back to Pentax Japan, they'll assess it and you'll get a quote for the repair.

They'll most likely have to dismantle, replace any damaged components, reassemble etc.

ETA about 4-6.

I know this when I had my FA50 repaired.
09-01-2010, 03:55 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I had a tripod tumble on me--totally user error. Except for the hood, the lens (DA*300mm) was OK but the K20D had to go in for repairs. It's an experience I'm taking pains not to repeat.

09-01-2010, 04:48 AM   #24
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Please read this:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/112729-great-l...xperience.html
09-01-2010, 08:16 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Yeah it was about a broken lens, not tripods...
09-01-2010, 09:39 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sorry to read about your broken lens. Tripod accidents are a terrible thing to have happen. I have never had one collapse on me once set up, but I did have a recent incident similar to yours. I had my view camera set up at the edge of a paved footbridge over a ravine. There must have been a little bit of residual tension in the legs because when I brushed against the tripod one of the feet "jumped" off the edge of the bridge. Before I could catch it the camera crashed into the railing. The ground glass back popped off and fell to the pavement and the rest of the camera really looked messed up.

I was pretty crushed. The camera is not even six months old and is a lightweight wooden field camera. Wooden cameras have the reputation for fragility and I feared the worse. First I picked up the GG back. Hmmm...lucky me, some dings and scratches on the teak, but nothing broken. Then I carefully lifted the tripod back onto a solid footing and tallied the damage to the camera itself. Surprisingly, none of the metal parts were bent and there was no damage to wood, bellows, or lens (whew!). It looked all akimbo, but nothing was even scratched. I re-zero'ed the camera, checked alignment with a torpedo level, cycled the shutter, and aperture, and pronounced it good.

Steve

(Guess that is a positive point for durability for Chamonix cameras...)
09-02-2010, 05:04 PM   #27
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtroute Quote
i just looked at the Gitzo website, what a confusing mess of a site. I have no idea what gitzo tripod I would want to buy and the website does absolutely nothing to help me with that.
For some really good advice on tripods, particularly Gitzos, you can go to Really Right Stuff Camera Support Experts , who are Gitzo dealers. RRS also sell their own tripods (even MORE expensive than Gitzos) and a couple Manfrottos.

Also check out Really Right Stuff general tripod info.