Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2010, 08:43 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Destroyed My DA* 16-50mm This Weekend

Just wondering how many others out there have had a tripod leg buckle on them, causing the camera to fall from a height of around 5 feet onto concrete.

I thought at first that the lens hood had saved her, but I've now got myself a very large 35mm prime lens that lacks autofocus.

Anyone know the process for sending these things in? What they could cost to fix? And how long the turnaround time is?

The glass all seems fine, but the lens was extended as it fell, so the plastic pieces got all jammed up. I can hear something rolling around on the inside too. Not fun.

And this was for a shot that I didn't even want to take =(

08-31-2010, 09:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hannican Quote
Just wondering how many others out there have had a tripod leg buckle on them, causing the camera to fall from a height of around 5 feet onto concrete.

I thought at first that the lens hood had saved her, but I've now got myself a very large 35mm prime lens that lacks autofocus.

Anyone know the process for sending these things in? What they could cost to fix? And how long the turnaround time is?

The glass all seems fine, but the lens was extended as it fell, so the plastic pieces got all jammed up. I can hear something rolling around on the inside too. Not fun.

And this was for a shot that I didn't even want to take =(
Yes, I have experienced a tripod failure leading to my K-7 and Sigma 105mm hitting the concrete :ugh: The sigma took all of the hit on its filter ring which surprisingly only bent a minuscule amount (just enough for no filters though ). Its a pretty tough lens considering all its been through with me

Very sorry to hear that that happened to such equipment!
08-31-2010, 09:17 AM   #3
Ira
Inactive Account

Was it a twist tighten leg?
08-31-2010, 09:26 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It was a twist tighten leg on an LT-101 pair of legs from Amvona (the Israeli knock-off company). That Tripod had actually done me well for the past 3+ years, though the little grippy parts on the Ball Mount have all completely disintegrated.

I will not be purchasing another Tripod with a twist tighten leg ever again. Nor a tripod from a knock-off company. At the time of it's purchase my most expensive lens was the DA 18-55mm that came with the K10D. I have a lot more to protect nowadays =/

08-31-2010, 10:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yeatzee Quote
Yes, I have experienced a tripod failure leading to my K-7 and Sigma 105mm hitting the concrete !
Was it one of the twist locks as well?
08-31-2010, 11:26 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Without knowing how your tripod failed, I would say that twist lock design is generally better than knobs, which again better than flips. After going through a few tripods from cheap to Manfrotto, I finally settled with Gitzo which most knock-off copy. Not perfect, but they will stay intact for decades when used properly. If the locks weren't tightened properly, then it's human error, not tripod failure.

As to your zoom, there is a good chance it might be knock out of alignment. Quite possible the lens has to visit Japan for a proper fix.
08-31-2010, 11:42 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Without knowing how your tripod failed, I would say that twist lock design is generally better than knobs, which again better than flips. After going through a few tripods from cheap to Manfrotto, I finally settled with Gitzo which most knock-off copy. Not perfect, but they will stay intact for decades when used properly. If the locks weren't tightened properly, then it's human error, not tripod failure.

As to your zoom, there is a good chance it might be knock out of alignment. Quite possible the lens has to visit Japan for a proper fix.
Agreed, you can't go wrong with a Gitzo. I still have an amvona tripod, with the clamp locks - those would slowly sink many times, once was enough to make me uncomfortable! like Hannican, I have alot more gear now to make it worth-while investing in a good tripod. Unlike cheaper twist locks (where they are just 'twist as much as you can tighten'), the Gitzo twist lock essentially click-locks into place. You know its locked, and won't come undone unless you twist it open. they also only require a half turn each, and are very fast. I opted for a Basalt gitzo to save a few $ at the expense of about 1 lb added weight, not a bad trade-off for a few hundred dollars cheaper. I would also suggest a good ballhead with friction control (love my photoclam - markins, RRS, arca will all perform well though).

08-31-2010, 12:33 PM   #8
Pentaxian

I think my Amvona twist lock legs are more secure than flip locks I have had on other tripods. Nothing's perfect. I had a Gitzo go to hell when the fiber lock bushings got wet in the Virgin River.
08-31-2010, 01:37 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I use Slik 700dx. A little on the heavy side, but pretty good bang for the buck and very sturdy in my opinion. They go at Adorama for $139
08-31-2010, 02:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
I think my Amvona twist lock legs are more secure than flip locks I have had on other tripods. Nothing's perfect. I had a Gitzo go to hell when the fiber lock bushings got wet in the Virgin River.

My very old Gitzo was getting a bit sloppy, it took a big effort to lock the legs, but it never caused a collapse.
So I called the nice guys at Gitzo's distributors and enquired about spare bushes.

After a lot of head scratching and searching the guy got back to me a few days later and said that the tripod I have was a very small production run and long discontinued, so he couldn't cross reference the parts with any certainty. But he had bundled a selection of bushes and sleeves in a box and sent them to me anyway.
When I asked "how much will that cost?" he told me "nothing, we like to keep to keep old Gitzo's going"

One set of bushes fitted perfectly, you can't get any better than that.

I have three tripods and a monopod with twist lock legs, the Gitzo and Linhoff and a massive Slik. The monopod is unbranded.
I prefer twist locks, and I trust them.
08-31-2010, 04:46 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
If I am not mistaken, current Gitzo use different bushings which are water safe now.
08-31-2010, 06:45 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hannican Quote
It was a twist tighten leg on an LT-101 pair of legs from Amvona (the Israeli knock-off company). That Tripod had actually done me well for the past 3+ years, though the little grippy parts on the Ball Mount have all completely disintegrated.

I will not be purchasing another Tripod with a twist tighten leg ever again. Nor a tripod from a knock-off company. At the time of it's purchase my most expensive lens was the DA 18-55mm that came with the K10D. I have a lot more to protect nowadays =/
Amnova is crap... I had a couple of ballheads from them given to me free and they were hopeless. The legs are no better.
Whether your tripod uses twist of flip locks, buy the best you can afford. I have no issues with twist locks on my Gitzo CF. The G-Locks on the newer models actually lock more securely than before.
With the Gitzo, I can extend my tripod fully in seconds, it is that good. With the Gitzo, you can even dismantle the locks to service if you happen to use you your tripod in for example a muddy stream or by the sea.
08-31-2010, 07:31 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Slightly off-track, but here goes: I bought my first 5mpx Sony DSC-V1 'NightShot' P&S with 4x Zeiss optics in early 2004. Full manual controls, IR, flash hotshoe, wired remote, metal body, feels like a little Leica -- a great camera, everything but RAW. The sucker cost ~US$600 new! I used it often on a Velbron tripod.

A few months later I was out in Arizona's Tonto Basin taking 30-second night shots. I stepped away for a moment -- and a strong gust of wind knocked the tripod+camera over, right on the zoom. Crunch. Returning to civilization, I sent it to Sony for warranty service, but they didn't fix it very well.. I've gone through a couple more (cheaper) V1's since then; one is always in my pocket, except when I shower.

But I learned a lesson -- weigh-down the tripod. The 'pod should have a hook suitable for hanging a heavy gear bag as an anchor. I've never had a 'pod leg collapse, but if one did, the bag would absorb much of the shock.
08-31-2010, 07:33 PM   #14
Veteran Member

i just looked at the Gitzo website, what a confusing mess of a site. I have no idea what gitzo tripod I would want to buy and the website does absolutely nothing to help me with that.

Any Idea what I would would buy if I wanted a general purpose, aluminum, non-rugged tripod for use indoors with wide angle lenses?
08-31-2010, 08:03 PM   #15

QuoteQuote:
But I learned a lesson -- weigh-down the tripod. The 'pod should have a hook suitable for hanging a heavy gear bag as an anchor. I've never had a 'pod leg collapse, but if one did, the bag would absorb much of the shock.
Hmm my tripod already weighs 12.5lbs. Sits sturdy enough, I hope.