Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2010, 11:38 AM   #1
Inactive Account

slr pentax lens... work in a dslr?

Hi!

I am sure this question has been asked before. I didnt see it on the first page and having a 20 mo old toddler I dont have the time to search back too far

I found this on craigslist:

Vintage Photography Equipment Bundle

and after chatting back and forth with the fellow I thought I had hit the jackpot. I was under the impression that any pentax lens ever made would fit the newer dslr's.. I drove an hour to "test" them and none of them worked in my camera. they all fit, they were in great shape.. but the shutter speed section was blank and the F stop had two lines thru it... the meter didnt seem to work. The aperture was controled by the ring, so I understood that, but I didnt understand the meter not reading...

when I tried to take a pic the shutter wouldnt even release on any of the four lens. Were they disfunctional or am I missing something?

I have a pentax kx

thanks ahead of time. I know you all will be able to answer my question!!

08-31-2010, 11:46 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Please read the manuals and the sticky at the top of the beginners forum

All pentax DSLRs can use all pentax lenses, but the function that allows this is turned off as a factory default. Go into the custom settings and select the function "Use Aperture Ring" and turn it on, or say yes or what ever.

the camera will work just fine

You can use manual mode, and set exposure by pressing a button, or use AV mode at maximum aperture only.

I hope you go back because all the lenses were probably a deal
08-31-2010, 11:49 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi there, please check out the following sticky for instructions for manual lenses.
Else, if you have an "A" position on the lens, turn it to that and proceed as you normally would.
08-31-2010, 11:57 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The camera is a Pentax ME F, the lens is the first autofocus lens Pentax developed. It can only be used as an AF lens with the ME F.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-autofocus-film-slr-camera-reviews/...ntax-me-f.html

The large Sears zoom has a Ricoh pin. There is a possibility of it getting stuck to a Pentax AF camera unless the pin is removed.

The screw mount lenses need an adapter to be used with a K mount camera.

08-31-2010, 11:57 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks so much. I knew I should've gotten them when I was there. I just wanted to make sure there wasnt something wrong with them. I called the man up and am meeting him tomorrow and I will just come home and try them out.. one out of the bunch has to work... maybe able to ebay off the vintage ones too.....

thanks again
08-31-2010, 12:00 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
boriscleto... so will that lens work with my kx in auto at all? are you saying i can not manual focus it?

the screwmount lens did have an adaptor. it wasnt the lens that I was most interested in

I did have the problem of the sears zoom getting stuck on my camera, thought i was gonna cry if i couldnt get it off. so your saying I can just remove that pin?

So overall what is the verdict.. get it or not? 100$... didnt think that was a bad price but want to be able to use at least one of the macro's and the 55
08-31-2010, 12:03 PM   #7
Ira
Inactive Account

I count 5 lenses and he says 4, although one might be a teleconverter. Also, is it possible that there's a LIGHT METER there, on top of the manuals? The grey thing?

08-31-2010, 12:07 PM   #8
Ira
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by CEWren Quote
boriscleto... so will that lens work with my kx in auto at all? are you saying i can not manual focus it?

the screwmount lens did have an adaptor. it wasnt the lens that I was most interested in

I did have the problem of the sears zoom getting stuck on my camera, thought i was gonna cry if i couldnt get it off. so your saying I can just remove that pin?

So overall what is the verdict.. get it or not? 100$... didnt think that was a bad price but want to be able to use at least one of the macro's and the 55
Yes, you can manually focus. Yes, it's really easy to shoot in M mode with a K-x (we'll explain it later). And yes, I think it's definitely worth $100:

The bellows alone, albeit hoping there are no holes in it, is $20 plus. And sometimes, plus a LOT.
08-31-2010, 12:08 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
could be. didnt dig thru the box after I found out I couldnt get the lens working

there were 5 lens that I visualized if you count the one on the camera itself... the man got this from his grandfather and didnt know a thing about any of them. I cleaned the lenses myself and didnt see a scratch on them. they were very clear thru my viewfinder...

decisions decisions. you all are wise pentaxians. I will trust you all's opinion as to whether this is worth the hour drive there and back and 100$. have the place and time set up already. just need the "go for it"
08-31-2010, 12:09 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by CEWren Quote

The 35-70 can be used as a fully manual lens but it's main value is as a collectible.

The Ricoh pin can be removed fairly easily.

theatre of noise: Ricoh Lenses On Pentax Cameras -- The Ricoh Pin Fix

If i didn't live 400 miles away I would have snatched these up.
08-31-2010, 12:10 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
ok, i am gonna do it. ooo, i am excited. wish I would've just gotten it today!
08-31-2010, 12:20 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Yes, that's a treasure trove. At least, it's well worth US$100. You won't need (can't use) that shutter release cable with your Kx. You CAN use the filters: Use the yellow one when shooting glaring neon lights at night. Use the red one in B&W mode for strong contrast. That orange one with the hole in the middle is for B&W portraits. Check the bellows for holes. Memorize the TIME-LIFE PHOTOGRAPHY HANDBOOK. Anything you don't want, I'll dispose of for you.
08-31-2010, 08:34 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
wow. so I am lucky that I got that Ricoh off my camera from what that article said. I will have my husband remove that prior to ever putting it back on my precious camera!! Great link!
09-01-2010, 05:03 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Here is a thread with good information on how to check a lens for oil on the blades and other problems.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-lens-articles/59245-pawnshop-lense...ers-guide.html

Tim
09-01-2010, 12:00 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Original Poster
K, home with the lot. I think I may need to take pics of these and have you guys direct me. I am just a bit overwhelmed. I am loving the 55mm lens but the macro lenses seem like a different world to me. there are several adaptors... filters.. old camera's.. straps, storage cases etc. I will start a new thread when i get a moment