Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2010, 05:24 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by magkelly Quote
Does the manual even talk about adapters and using M42 lenses? I'd be very surprised if it did. Give the guy a break here. He's not just trying to use the camera in the accepted way with new digital lenses that are made for this camera. What he's doing takes a bit of practice and if you've never had a DSLR or used an adapter before I would imagine it would take you a bit to get it right.
No, you're correct in that the manual probably does not explain how to use M42 lenses and adapters. But the OP isn't have any problems with the adapters or the M42 lenses, is he? Under exposed photos are caused by the camera body, not the lens. It seems the OP has a hard time using the M/Av modes to its potential.

The manual does explain in pain staking detail on how to correct under exposed photos by adjusting the shutter speed and/or exposure compensation in M/Av/P modes. So yes, it would help tremendously if he were to read the sections in the manual that explains the manual mode.

08-31-2010, 10:51 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Yeah, but isn't he also using stopped down metering and so forth? I would imagine that could throw you if you haven't done that. That's more what I was thinking of. It's not quite the same I gather from shooting in the regular metering mode. I'm going to have to go back and look at that manual again. I dl it in prep for actually having a K-DSLR at some point and I did read it once, but I honestly don't remember now if they went into all that or not.
09-01-2010, 01:34 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I had an *istDL2 and used it regularly with an adapter and M42 lenses. Use AV or M mode and the AE-L button with the appropriate selection in the "allow aperture ring" custom in the menus. This does require experiment. Do not give up as it is worth the learning curve.

The appropriate pages in this web site explain it more clearly than the manual - a highly recommended read and review.
09-01-2010, 03:43 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
BTW, Sears lenses were made by Ricoh, they are usually the same as the Rikenon version.
Actually, some Sears lenses and cameras were made by Asahi Pentax, some by Ricoh, some (the Korean lenses) by Samyang. I've seen Sigma, Tokina, Mamiya, Tomioka, and Cosina listed as lensmakers for Sears also.

09-02-2010, 02:24 PM   #20
Inactive Account

Original Poster
After getting all the excellent feedback from the many helpful members...
Eureka... am muddling through and now have some good photos.Although to a newbie the manual is still a bit daunting,and in some cases needs a bit more information to really illustrate the point. Fellow new Pentax owners should not be put off by the odd condescending remarks made by some people.(In fact with the advent of the digital camera it has generated a whole new interest in photography which surely helps everybody in the industry.)Thanks.Pemarp
09-02-2010, 02:41 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by RioRico Quote
Actually, some Sears lenses and cameras were made by Asahi Pentax, some by Ricoh, some (the Korean lenses) by Samyang. I've seen Sigma, Tokina, Mamiya, Tomioka, and Cosina listed as lensmakers for Sears also.
True, the Tower 22, 23, 24 are Asahiflexs, the Tower 32a and 37a are Mamiyas. But most of the SLRs are Ricoh made, all the K mounts except the KXS-P which is a Chinon. I have the kit lens from the KXS-P the Auto Sears MC 50mm F1.7. Being a Chinon, and fully manual, it lacks a Ricoh pin.

http://www.camerapedia.org/wiki/Sears
09-02-2010, 04:53 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
True, the Tower 22, 23, 24 are Asahiflexs, the Tower 32a and 37a are Mamiyas. But most of the SLRs are Ricoh made, all the K mounts except the KXS-P which is a Chinon. I have the kit lens from the KXS-P the Auto Sears MC 50mm F1.7. Being a Chinon, and fully manual, it lacks a Ricoh pin.

Sears - Camerapedia.org
Thanks for the Camerapedia link. But we can't attribute all KR lenses (some also badged as Focal) to Ricoh, because they're Korean and thus likely Samyang. I see no information that Ricoh had/has a Korean plant, and I *DO* see some info that Samyang made some Sears lenses.