Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2010, 12:34 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sigma 105mm Macro price in Canada & Tamron 90mm

I've noticed that the prices quoted in the reviews of this lens are between $300 and $400. The price on Henrys for this lens (and it's always higher) is $649, while the Tamron 90mm macro is $469 on Henrys.

I see the Tamron more widely available on ebay than the Sigma - does anyone have any thoughts about how one could find this cheaper? I appeal to any Canadians, in particular, although anyone's opinion would be great. $400 is pretty much the most I'm willing to consider for any lens at this point.

Any significant difference between Tamron and Sigmas listed in light of the price difference?

08-31-2010, 01:35 PM   #2

I suggest you take a look at KEH.com. Price for Sigma 105 f2.8 and Tamron 90 f2.8 in EX condition is around $250 USD. I heard many people say that KEH's scoring is very conservative so the lens is often better than described.

Regards,

Peter
08-31-2010, 01:49 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I can also recommend looking at KEH for used lenses. I am a lover of the Sigma build quality and finish. If I was faced with your decision, I would get the Sigma. The Tamron is just as good optically, but the Sigma has a better build in my opinion. When looking at used Sigmas, be aware that there is a EX version and an EX DG version. The EX DG is newer and has updated coatings that are optimized for digital. The EX is still a great lens though.

Hope this helps.
08-31-2010, 01:51 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Sadly, the only place for us Canadians to reliably get good prices are from US dealers or eBay. I got a Sigma 105 EX Macro from KEH earlier this year for $265, and it looked like it had hardly been used. Note that this is the older version, not the DG.

08-31-2010, 02:03 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Keh.com you say!

Okay, thanks very much. I hadn't stumbled across KEH but I'm browsing around now, I can tell you. Not with any specific success, but hey. Something will come up. And I'm very much considering that idea of making myself stick with the kit lens for a year. There's much to be said for that.
08-31-2010, 02:06 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DeniseH Quote

I see the Tamron more widely available on ebay than the Sigma - does anyone have any thoughts about how one could find this cheaper? I appeal to any Canadians, in particular, although anyone's opinion would be great.
There are two sources I always look at for comparative pricing. Photoprice is excellent because it gives you real costs, with shipping and taxes included.

Photography, Digital Camera, Lens Price Comparisons for Canada - photoprice.ca

Photoprice doesn't include ProDigital2000 in its pricing survey, so look there too.

Shop eBay Canada Store - Prodigital2000:: Lowepro, Canon