Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-12-2011, 02:41 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
I have what might be a crazy idea. Can you try isolating the SDM contacts? Would that not "fool" the camera into thinkng it was a none SDM lens and use the screw ficussing instead?

Kim

05-12-2011, 03:06 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
It's not cheating. The warranty has expired as it does on all products. I do think fixing it again is the right thing to do, however.
I see it as a product recall issue. The bottom line is that Pentax has had a problem with either a shit part and/or a shit design. They need to address this. There are plenty of old F series 35-70 af lenses out there that work for decades without issues.

I never bought one of these lenses due to this and the other issue with it. Hear me Ned? This is a problem on a $900 lens.

Edit: This spoof is circulating again.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/143706-hitlers...tor-fails.html

Last edited by Blue; 05-12-2011 at 03:34 PM.
05-12-2011, 03:07 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kim C Quote
I have what might be a crazy idea. Can you try isolating the SDM contacts? Would that not "fool" the camera into thinkng it was a none SDM lens and use the screw ficussing instead?

Kim
Like with plastic tape?
05-12-2011, 03:41 PM   #19

Yup! Don't know if it will work but it's worth trying.

Kim

QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
Like with plastic tape?

05-12-2011, 04:45 PM   #20
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kim C Quote
Yup! Don't know if it will work but it's worth trying.

Kim
Doesn't work I'm afraid, it's been tried before. The only 2 ways of using the screw drive is
1) use a body whose firmware predates SDM (eg early K10 firmware)
2) somehow fry the SDM component of your current body (not lens). I recall someone (Peter Zacks maybe?) had accidently fried the SDM contacts/component on their K20 (?) and then they were able to use screw drive on SDM lenses. The thread title was something like "I broke my camera and couldn't be happier".
05-12-2011, 07:40 PM   #21
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I ordered a DA* 60-250 the other day and I was wondering If I should pay for some kind of extended warrenty?
05-12-2011, 07:44 PM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
I ordered a DA* 60-250 the other day and I was wondering If I should pay for some kind of extended warrenty?
Don't pay, just pray.
05-12-2011, 07:53 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Don't pay, just pray.
I wouldn't waste any time praying as I don't think prayer has much of an effect on SDM failures

I think you'd be better off using the time you'd spend praying and use that time to enjoy the lens. If you want to spend the money on an extended warranty, and it will give you piece of mind, then I say go for it. For me it would depend on how much the extended warranty costs and how likely I thought the lens was to fail outside the included warranty period. It's usually a moot point for me since I (almost) always buy my lenses used.

05-12-2011, 11:43 PM   #24
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
Someone once did a survey on DPR asking about which SDM lenses had failed. There was only a single report of a 60-250 failing. This compared to the dozens of reports for the 16-50 and 50-135.

I wouldn't worry about it.
05-13-2011, 07:46 AM   #25
Site Supporter

It should be here Monday and we are taking a bus tour to the Naval Air Museum in Pensicola Fl. Tuesday with a Blue Angels show included in the price of the trip.
I'll let you know how it performs.
Thanks for all your help everyone and you to Dan......lol
05-13-2011, 08:02 AM   #26
Site Supporter

Based on what I have seen, some of these lenses will never break, while others will be repeat offenders. This is the only thing that I can think that explains the pattern, some people reporting 3 or 4 SDM changes, while others using their lenses for several years without problem.

It does seem like the 16-50 and 50-135 are the most common problem lenses, maybe due in part to the complexity of having screw drive and SDM on board?
05-13-2011, 08:05 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Based on what I have seen, some of these lenses will never break, while others will be repeat offenders. This is the only thing that I can think that explains the pattern, some people reporting 3 or 4 SDM changes, while others using their lenses for several years without problem.

It does seem like the 16-50 and 50-135 are the most common problem lenses, maybe due in part to the complexity of having screw drive and SDM on board?
Actually, all the DA* lenses have dual SDM/screw drive except the DA*55.

It's hard to say whether the 16-50 and 50-135 are more prone to failure. Certainly the number of reported failures on those two lenses, especially the 16-50, are significantly higher than any other SDM lens Pentax makes. That said, I would also assume those two lenses are by far the most popular and have the greatest number of copies sold. So without hard numbers, it's tough to say with any level of certainty.
05-13-2011, 06:20 PM   #28
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Actually, all the DA* lenses have dual SDM/screw drive except the DA*55.

It's hard to say whether the 16-50 and 50-135 are more prone to failure. Certainly the number of reported failures on those two lenses, especially the 16-50, are significantly higher than any other SDM lens Pentax makes. That said, I would also assume those two lenses are by far the most popular and have the greatest number of copies sold. So without hard numbers, it's tough to say with any level of certainty.
Right. I imagine that they have sold quite a few of the DA 17-70 lenses and those ones don't seem to have nearly the failure rates of the DA * 16-50 lenses (and they only have SDM). The rest of the DA * primes certainly have sold significantly fewer than the bread and butter zooms (the 16-50 and 50-135) and so its hard to compare numbers based on complaints.